Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Safety Recall 22S27 Rear Axle Bolt Fractures

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
I had the recall (PCM update) done last week and the recall notification disappeared from Ford Pass. Like you, that CSP popped up today.
Got a letter today explaining the recall AND the CSP. The CSP covers one (only) repair of broken bolts up to 10 years or 150,000 miles.

StarWhite22

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Anyone know how long the PCM flash takes? Have an appt for that and oil change / rotation set for Monday.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Got a letter today explaining the recall AND the CSP. The CSP covers one (only) repair of broken bolts up to 10 years or 150,000 miles.
Yeah I just read that. Not sure how I feel about that. It’s a bad design ford. You admitted that. If it breaks a second time you won’t cover it? I’m sure you could make a case but I don’t like that they limited number of repairs. But anyway, the odds of it happening to begin with are extremely rare so two times I guess is even more rare.

Last edited:

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Yeah I just read that. Not sure how I feel about that. It’s a bad design ford. You admitted that. If it breaks a second time you won’t cover it? I’m sure you could make a case but I don’t like that they limited. But anyway, the odds of it happening to begin with are extremely rare so two times I guess is even more rare.
Now if they repaired a first bolt break by installing a 4 bolt subframe, that'd be diferent.:cool:

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Now if they repaired a first bolt break by installing a 4 bolt subframe, that'd be diferent.:cool:
:unsure::cool::oops:

Would really like to know the backroom dealings that gave the ST the 3 bolt. Glad it doesn't concern me anymore.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Well they did say for “your peace of mind”. :rolleyes:

If I broke the first bolt, my peace of mind would be with a new four bolt subframe. Because if I broke one, the chances are that even with an improved bolt, I’m going to break it again. Hoping I never have to take them up on their offer since it appears that based on the wording of the letter, that I’ll be very frustrated with what Ford is going to offer me as a resolution.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
:unsure::cool::oops:

Would really like to know the backroom dealings that gave the ST the 3 bolt. Glad it doesn't concern me anymore.
I knew at some point you'd be rubbing it in our faces! haha

To me, the 3 bolt situation means that I'll never tune it and that I'll be part of the 99.907% of owners who've never had a problem.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Or you could just wait to see if you're part of the 99.907% of owners who haven't experienced a break?
My ST is a pig off the line so its not going to break.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
My ST is a pig off the line so its not going to break.
Well stop driving around with 400 lbs of lumber in it and it won't be a pig anymore.;)

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
There’s definitely some ambiguity to the CSP imo. Initially when I read the letter I understood it as if it breaks, they will fix it. I read the faq and this point confused me. In short, a CSP is an available upgrade to a specific component or an extension of an existing warranty

When I had my Mazda there was another term for their version of “CSP”. It was a program for things that weren’t technically a recall but really should be fixed. You could request them to do if you brought it to their attention. And when reading that statement above, “available upgrade” it makes me wonder. Additionally, I don’t remember the letter stating the bolt must break first. Definitely ambiguous. However, I’m sure they require it to break first because why would it be the other way.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Just for the heck of it, I called the phone number that they give in the letter to see what Ford was willing to say about the CSP portion but they have no additional information at this time. i’m going to say they actually do but don’t want to hear from a bunch of irate ST owners about the halfa$$ed way they are dealing with the issue.

Reactions
Vehicle
22 Ford Explorer Platinum Hybrid
When I asked the dealer yesterday, it is basically an extended warranty now for 10 years/150,000 miles.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
When I asked the dealer yesterday, it is basically an extended warranty now for 10 years/150,000 miles.
Did the dealer offer up if it is just to replace the bolt and any other part(s) that are damaged as a result of the bolt breaking or did they offer any hope of something more substantial like a new subframe?

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Did the dealer offer up if it is just to replace the bolt and any other part(s) that are damaged as a result of the bolt breaking or did they offer any hope of something more substantial like a new subframe?
Let's do some math:

252,936 Explorers are involved in the Recall.
Parts and Installation for a 4 bolt is ~$3,000.
252,936 x $3,000 = $758,808,000

That's 3/4 of a billion dollars.

Not happening.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Let's do some math:

252,936 Explorers are involved in the Recall.
Parts and Installation for a 4 bolt is ~$3,000.
252,936 x $3,000 = $758,808,000

That's 3/4 of a billion dollars.

Not happening.
Ford was trying to save $10 off each Ford Explorer built. Now they have to pay the price.