Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Safety Recall 22S27 Rear Axle Bolt Fractures

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
My dealer‘s shop said they don’t have specifics beyond the e-brake upgrade and the replacement of the bolt should it break. So I suspect we’ll see a lot of hypothesizing on the part of dealer shops on what will or won’t be done and what would be covered in a tuned vehicle should that happen. In the meantime, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy an ST just because of the potential of the failure occurring.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Reactions
I just don't understand the logic behind having the e-brake reprogramed to come on all the time when park is selected. Ford concerned about a roll away vehicle if the axle bolts breaks. Won't one notice there's an issue right away. Wouldn't one use the parking brake on their own at this time? Not a fan of nanny devices, especially if I can't disable them.

As for the 3 bolt vs 4 bolt rear axles, Ford/Lincoln puts 4 bolt axles in all their 3L TT Aviators. So why does the "performance" edition of the Explorer, the ST, get a 3 bolt rear??

It's BS what Ford is doing with regard to this issue.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer st
I just don't understand the logic behind having the e-brake reprogramed to come on all the time when park is selected. Ford concerned about a roll away vehicle if the axle bolts breaks. Won't one notice there's an issue right away. Wouldn't one use the parking brake on their own at this time? Not a fan of nanny devices, especially if I can't disable them.

As for the 3 bolt vs 4 bolt rear axles, Ford/Lincoln puts 4 bolt axles in all their 3L TT Aviators. So why does the "performance" edition of the Explorer, the ST, get a 3 bolt rear??

It's BS what Ford is doing with regard to this issue.
I believe it's an effort to reduce the stress put on the bolt from "roll back" when the trans is in park and you're on a hill or uneven ground.

Reactions
I believe it's an effort to reduce the stress put on the bolt from "roll back" when the trans is in park and you're on a hill or uneven ground.
More to the point, it’s because if the bolt snaps, the axle can twist and the driveshaft can become separated from the axle, and then since the axle/wheels would have no connection to the transmission, the car could roll away while in park, potentially killing or crushing the living shit out of someone. The parking brake is a failsafe to make sure the wheels are locked.

Reactions
More to the point, it’s because if the bolt snaps, the axle can twist and the driveshaft can become separated from the axle, and then since the axle/wheels would have no connection to the transmission, the car could roll away while in park, potentially killing or crushing the living shit out of someone. The parking brake is a failsafe to make sure the wheels are locked.
Nailed it

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
The fact we're even talking about the need for a "failsafe" is somewhat concerning.

Jammin30

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Yeah but if my wife was driving then it broke she would get pulled over put in it park and never set the parking brake to get out and look at what the issue could be. So I don't mind the programming. I wish the change had not been made in the first place on the diff.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Yeah but if my wife was driving then it broke she would get pulled over put in it park and never set the parking brake to get out and look at what the issue could be. So I don't mind the programming. I wish the change had not been made in the first place on the diff.
Right on! Seeing they didn't actually fix the problem, the auto parking brake band aid is a must.

I wonder if we'll ever know why FORD changed it up.

Reactions
The fact we're even talking about the need for a "failsafe" is somewhat concerning.
In a way yes, but really cars have been equipped with failsafes for years. The parking brake, aka emergency brake, operated separately from the foot brakes being one of them - the car’s ability to go into a “limp home” mode if something fucks up and the computer can’t properly regulate the powertrain - the fact that if the ABS fails it reverts open to keep the brakes working the old fashioned way - the fact that if you put a mismatched size tire on, the car shuts off the 4WD to avoid chewing up the equipment.

In a metal box that can do 100mph, and really in any machine with so many moving parts and electronics and things that can go wrong, failsafes aren’t such a bad thing.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
... In a metal box that can do 100mph, and really in any machine with so many moving parts and electronics and things that can go wrong, failsafes aren’t such a bad thing.
My comment wasn't adressing "falisafes" in general, it was about the need for a failsafe on a part of which the actual cause of the problem has not been addressed.

Doug

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I can’t stand auto ebrake…yet another button I have to push every time I drive.

gimmie the real fix…wanna feel safe hammering the gas lol

curious If the recall is the reason my car has auto ebrake, or if that was already standard on 2022 ST’s.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I can’t stand auto ebrake…yet another button I have to push every time I drive.

gimmie the real fix…wanna feel safe hammering the gas lol

curious If the recall is the reason my car has auto ebrake, or if that was already standard on 2022 ST’s.
You don’t have to press it! Just hit the gas and it will auto release.

Doug

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
yep, exactly what I do Not like. Jolting forward pressing the gas to overcome the ebrake. so it becomes yet another button to press every drive to make it a comfortable vehicle

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
yep, exactly what I do Not like. Jolting forward pressing the gas to overcome the ebrake. so it becomes yet another button to press every drive to make it a comfortable vehicle
That is quite the exaggeration or something is wrong with yours. When I manually set mine, I always release it with the gas pedal. A gentle tap and it releases easy. Sure, it’s not exactly the same as if you release it with the button but it’s definitely not anything I would be upset about.

hbalek

Reactions
That is quite the exaggeration or something is wrong with yours. When I manually set mine, I always release it with the gas pedal. A gentle tap and it releases easy. Sure, it’s not exactly the same as if you release it with the button but it’s definitely not anything I would be upset about.
It's barely noticeable on mine and I always set the ebrake. It's better for the transmission and this 10 speed needs to be treated gently as it's not very robust. I've had mine rebuilt at 25K miles.

Doug

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
was the auto ebrake a thing before the recall?

Doug

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
perfect, then I‘m aiming to get the physical fix (police fix) and guessing (hoping) it’s then safe to delete the auto ebrake mandate. utopia…axle won’t pop off and I can ease off the brake instead of hitting the gas when shifting into gear

hbalek

Reactions
These people just don't get it. You don't have to accelerate. Literally a light tap of the gas releases it. Not even a blip on the tachometer. It's that sensitive. Same goes for the auto-start/stop using auto-hold. Tap the accelerator pedal and the engine restarts. I've used e-brakes with auto-release since my 2013 MKZ and it works flawlessly. No lurching or fighting the brake with the gas, It's electronic not mechanical. I'm so sick of hearing about this. And yes I have 2 bolts on my 2020 and haven't had the recall but I use my e-brake every time I park.