Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Safety Recall 22S27 Rear Axle Bolt Fractures

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Until it is out and we see the result, we are all talking out our a$$es as far as I'm concerned, Once some people get the update I'm sure they will run some dragy times to compare. Too many rocket scientists in the tuning world. They will tell us exactly what they are doing if any detuning. Of course just my opinion. Opinions are like a$$holes, we all have them and most of them stink:ROFLMAO:

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Until it is out and we see the result, we are all talking out our a$$es as far as I'm concerned ...
Both sadly (Ford is not doing a proper fix on retail ST's) and happily (they're only doing an e-brake flash on retail ST's), I can easily believe that is all they're doing. haha

Reactions
JohnE is certainly entitled to his own opinion. But my guess is that nearly every ST owner is (n) at the thought of a factory de-tune. I know I definitely am!

But alas, that no longer seems to be case. Turns out it's just an e-brake reprogram.
The e-brake program is fine , they are honestly avoiding the issue though. My guess is they are waiting to see how much fails they have before implementing the proper fix to non PIU. My visit to my dealer on this coming Monday has me curious to see what they say. Not sure why they would schedule a appt if this e-brake fix is not out yet. Also the ordering of parts they mention….so who knows , all TBD. If I get any repairs done to get the corrected sub frame (yes I know chances are slim, very slim)…I will post that service order online , because if one dealer does it then most will have to as well ….basically admits fault.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
The e-brake program is fine , they are honestly avoiding the issue though. My guess is they are waiting to see how much fails they have before implementing the proper fix to non PIU. My visit to my dealer on this coming Monday has me curious to see what they say ...
Please keep us informed!

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Crazy how Ford changed this up on some 20/21/22 models and removed the right bolt.

Still, my impromptu poll shows 1 break and 79 no-breaks so I'm not worried I have just the one.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Crazy how Ford changed this up on some 20/21/22 models and removed the right bolt.

Still, my impromptu poll shows 1 break and 79 no-breaks so I'm not worried I have just the one.
Yes and that is really the crux of the issue with me. They designed the higher HP drivetrain with the two bolt subframe. What was the true reason they switched to one? Did they run out of 2 bolt frames and just say F it put them on so we can keep building? Or did they go through engineering and determine the bolt was not necessary in the first place and did it as part of a model year change. My guess is they ran out of two bolt subframes and scrambled for a way to keep producing ST's. Now that there have been some reports of failure I think they are scrambling to find the cheapest solution possible. Just my opinion of course which isn't worth much.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
While we still don’t know for sure what the “fix” will eventually be, we did get a hint tonight.

Right now, I’m watching Jim Cramer interview Jim Farley (Ford CEO). He just stated that Ford’s warranty costs are too high and it’s “on me” to solve that. When the guy at the tippy top announces to the world that he will personally lower warranty costs, we can assume he’ll get it done.

He can do that by improving the quality of what goes out the door or paying less for the substandard products they deliver…or some combination of the two. The first option is a better long term approach while the second option will show up on the bottom line sooner.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
With all this uncertainty about the fix ford will do, I can foresee an opportunity for aftermarket companies to come up with a solution for the 1 bolt rears above and beyond the diffy stiffy. Like maybe a high strength bolt from ARP

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
... My guess is they ran out of two bolt subframes and scrambled for a way to keep producing ST's ...
What I don't get is that the recall covers all model years 20 & 21 & 22.

I mean, did they run out of 2 bolt subframes in each and every year?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST

By including all years they never have to admit the problem has anything to do with the change from 2 bolt.

Reactions

not true. It is "Certain 2020-2022 model years" in 22S27.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
By including all years they never have to admit the problem has anything to do with the change from 2 bolt.
They still recalled all 3 model year retail versions and will perform e-brake software updates, and hardware updates on 20/21 police interceptors.

not true. It is "Certain 2020-2022 model years" in 22S27.
Well, certain one's but still within all 3 model years.

Reactions
They kind of in a way admitted fault , the Lincoln aviator uses the same subframe and they all have the 2 rear bolts on them, they were not recalled. Im honestly curious did people with the correct subframe get the recall through the Ford app?

Last edited:

db252

Reactions
Vehicle
22 ST
Friend has a 21 ST with the 4 bolt subframe for the diff and received no recall. We checked through Ford website.

Reactions
For my 22, I got a notice on the Ford App. It says Explorer Rear Axle Bolt Fracture-Recall Incomplete. 22S27/Awaiting NHTSA#.

Reactions
Friend has a 21 ST with the 4 bolt subframe for the diff and received no recall. We checked through Ford website.
This is what Im curious about , if the 4 bolts do not get the recall ( 2 rear bolts). Also this would fall in line with the Lincoln aviators not getting the recall. They are pretty much saying there is a weak link with the 3 bolt (1 rear) and solution lets fix it with a e-brake update ( which only solves a rolling issue after it breaks and you put it in park)

Reactions
For my 22, I got a notice on the Ford App. It says Explorer Rear Axle Bolt Fracture-Recall Incomplete. 22S27/Awaiting NHTSA#.
Im assuming you have a 3 bolt subframe (1 rear bolt)?

Reactions
This is what Im curious about , if the 4 bolts do not get the recall ( 2 rear bolts). Also this would fall in line with the Lincoln aviators not getting the recall. They are pretty much saying there is a weak link with the 3 bolt (1 rear) and solution lets fix it with a e-brake update ( which only solves a rolling issue after it breaks and you put it in park)
yes, sounds like this is the solution. The parking brake is to take care of the safety issue if there is a bolt failure. More often than not the single bolt will hold. Seems Ford is making the PUI customers a priority with the entire replacement as we can't have those vehicles stuck. However, for the typical consumer they will gamble on the single bolts holding until warranty is out. Appx $3k to fix (P&L) at >100,000 affected vehicles is a big chunk of money.