Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Safety Recall 22S27 Rear Axle Bolt Fractures

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I'll file the recall right where I did the one for the camera. Not having an issue and don't want the stealership to touch the ST. If by chance I bring it in for something I will tell them not to perform the recall.
I would think that you risk any failure by doing that they might say the blame is on you. Maybe not but I would think that is a risk. I could well be wrong.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I'll file the recall right where I did the one for the camera. Not having an issue and don't want the stealership to touch the ST. If by chance I bring it in for something I will tell them not to perform the recall.
If a customer refuses to have a recall performed, does that exempt Ford from any liability with the area in question, or possibly even void the entire warranty outright?

Reactions
235 reported incidents out of 250,000 total vehicles effected = .094%

Put another way, 99.906% of effected vehicles have not reported any rear axle bolt failures.

That matches my Poll results almost perfectly (98.9%).

could have led to 235 or more deaths, what moron there decided to put the ghetto parts in

drbob1164

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
That’s how I understand it too. There sure is a lot drama going on otherwise…that’s for sure. I think someone just assumed that the PCM flash was going to take away horsepower and all of a sudden the sky is falling.
Welllll.... that's what they're telling us. As a consumer I have no way of knowing how "the flash" is going to affect the vehicle.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
could have led to 235 or more deaths, what moron there decided to put the ghetto parts in
At this point only Ford knows why the switch was made, and they're not saying much.

As a consumer I have no way of knowing how "the flash" is going to affect the vehicle.
True. When they initially said there was going to be a pcm flash for retail cars, a possible hp drop was a natural assumption.

Reactions
Update, I had my service appt this morning. They inspected it and said all looks good and no signs of stress. He stated the partial fix is the e-brake update some time end of May or beginning June the update will be out. They also heard the new parts the PIU get will likely be also applied to the non police units as well. Something about they heard it will be a 2 part recall. Basically Ford has not released the full recall yet because they are figuring things out still. He speculating the PIU get the priority on parts because of just the supply chain issues ( I understand we want those fixed first). He did also note they have not seen any of those failures happen as of yet.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Update, I had my service appt this morning. They inspected it and said all looks good and no signs of stress ... He did also note they have not seen any of those failures happen as of yet.
Great news that everything looked good on your vehicle and they have not seen any failures. (y)

Last edited:

FordMatt

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Look for an update on the recall the first week of June.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
By "update" that probably means FORD informing us when to bring our ST's in for the pcm e-brake flash.

FordMatt

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
By "update" that probably means FORD informing us when to bring our ST's in for the pcm e-brake flash.
As your dealer appears to be attempting a "manual" recall due to the circumstances from the sale, it's safe to bet it will likely have the recall performed on the initial day of release.

It is typical dealership process to apply recalls such as this on unsold (and held) units prior to recalling customers. (Yours would likely fall in this same criteria). This allows dealers to resume sale of vehicles (which will likely have customers who have been awaiting delivery) and then "unaffected" customers will be contacted for convenience scheduling.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
As your dealer appears to be attempting a "manual" recall due to the circumstances from the sale, it's safe to bet it will likely have the recall performed on the initial day of release.

It is typical dealership process to apply recalls such as this on unsold (and held) units prior to recalling customers. (Yours would likely fall in this same criteria). This allows dealers to resume sale of vehicles (which will likely have customers who have been awaiting delivery) and then "unaffected" customers will be contacted for convenience scheduling.
I was not aware that every person's dealer had to contact them personally about the recall.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I was not aware that every person's dealer had to contact them personally about the recall.
They don't, in the case being mentioned...the dealer sold him the Explorer after the stop-sale date...so, the dealer is potentially a bit exposed for not abiding by the process.

Reactions
Hypothetically would just getting the dimensions off the original bolt and replacing with a Class 10.9 or higher bolt be a safe solution while we wait for Ford to figure it out?

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Hypothetically would just getting the dimensions off the original bolt and replacing with a Class 10.9 or higher bolt be a safe solution while we wait for Ford to figure it out?
I wouldn't do that. If it breaks then they could say it was because you installed that bolt which was not a factory part.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I wouldn't do that. If it breaks then they could say it was because you installed that bolt which was not a factory part.
Unfortunately, that is correct. The same goes for rear diff braces, unless we have the one that doesn't require drilling and remove it.

Still, FORD's data reports a 0.1% breakage rate so the odds of not snapping a bolt are incredibly good.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
They don't, in the case being mentioned...the dealer sold him the Explorer after the stop-sale date...so, the dealer is potentially a bit exposed for not abiding by the process.
Ok, that makes more sense.

GJSims

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
My deal on a 2022 ST is complete but the dealer is holding the delivery until the recall can be complete.
Here is what the FCSD Zone Manager | Pittsburgh Region told me on 5/3/22:
Unfortunately, the customer’s information from NHTSA does not enable us to remove the recall. The recall is not for the E brake. The recall is for a PCM update to stop the rear axle bolt from fracturing. The upcoming PCM update will do nothing to the E brake. There is nothing further that can be done. My boss expects to hear an update on this recall sometime this month.

Reactions
My deal on a 2022 ST is complete but the dealer is holding the delivery until the recall can be complete.
Here is what the FCSD Zone Manager | Pittsburgh Region told me on 5/3/22:
Unfortunately, the customer’s information from NHTSA does not enable us to remove the recall. The recall is not for the E brake. The recall is for a PCM update to stop the rear axle bolt from fracturing. The upcoming PCM update will do nothing to the E brake. There is nothing further that can be done. My boss expects to hear an update on this recall sometime this month.
The Recall is for the PCM to apply the E-Brake automatically at all times when the car is placed in park. They are not doing anything at the moment about the bolt fracture except for on PIU explorers. With that fix possibly coming to general explorers down the road according to my service manager.

GJSims

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
So you don't believe what the regional Ford rep said - that the recall has nothing to do with the E-Brake?