Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Safety Recall 22S27 Rear Axle Bolt Fractures

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer ST PHEV MY22
I can tell you that 3 days after a complete repair and replacement that my new upgraded bolt was already bent. Was told the new bolt was actually an upgrade over the previous bolt.

I hadn't launched it hard or drove too aggressive. A few quick accelerations in the 3 days but nothing that any vehicle shouldn't be able to handle with ease.

Only reason I found out was mechanic that was installing my ID Speed dif brace loosened the dif bolt a little and noticed it was bent. He let me know so I could bring it back to Ford.

They ordered another bolt and replaced it once it came in.
I feared this would be the response...

After 10 months of arguing and bickering with Ford NL and the dealer they finally admit there are issues with these cars, this being one of them.

As a final attempt to fix my issues they want to perform the 22N06 recall (which has been put out only last week or so for NL).

I fear it'll only be a very temporary fix at best if they don't change the subframe alltogether.

Boss240

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST, 2012 Boss Mustang, 2019 Audi S4
Yes the only real fix would be the 4 bolt subframe. Ford will never go that route though as it's very costly and most people will never have this problem as they drive moderately

Boss240

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
What is the 22N06 recall?

Boss240

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Oh ok thanks

rad_rob

Reactions
Got mine back from the dealer, they didn't even swap the bolt, just did the software update to apply the parking brake. I know everyone is complaining about it, but I don't really mind it applying the parking brake automatically for me, its not a big deal. I do, however, hope that Ford comes up with a fix for this other than just swapping the bolt or applying a software fix.

As a side note, they also let me know they discontinued the "update" for the camera issue as the one they had caused even more issues so Ford told them to stop applying that update. That being said, I did get my window switches replaced under that recall, so it wasn't a complete waste of a trip. haha Although, they did perform an oil change, and now occasionally on startup it puffs a ton of smoke for a few seconds then stops, so I've got that going for me.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Unless I am reading this wrong, the remedy doesn’t get to the root cause of the problem (three bolt versus four bolt subframe). It only requires Ford to replace the bushing on the subframe along with the bolt and inspect and replace if needed the rear axle cover. Shows that while the NHTSA acknowledges that there is an issue, they either: a) Don’t quite get why the failure is occurring; or b) Ford talked about how much doing replacements with a four bolt subassembly would cost and convinced NHTSA that this remedy was adequate.

Reactions
Is it possible to interpret this as them adding a bushing and bolt to the other side turning it into a 4 bolt? I’m not even sure if that’s possible on the current 3 bolt subframe. That’s a bit above my pay grade. Just hoping we end up with 4 bolts‍.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
You could definitely install another bushing to the crossmember. However it would require some level of welding and minor fab work and I don’t see a dealer doing that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
You could definitely install another bushing to the crossmember. However it would require some level of welding and minor fab work and I don’t see a dealer doing that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Figured that might be the case. Thanks for the response

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Unless I am reading this wrong, the remedy doesn’t get to the root cause of the problem (three bolt versus four bolt subframe). It only requires Ford to replace the bushing on the subframe along with the bolt and inspect and replace if needed the rear axle cover. Shows that while the NHTSA acknowledges that there is an issue, they either: a) Don’t quite get why the failure is occurring; or b) Ford talked about how much doing replacements with a four bolt subassembly would cost and convinced NHTSA that this remedy was adequate.
Yea, it seems like it's an appeasement to the feds without fixing the problem. Maybe it brings the remedy for retail customers' vehicles in line with the original remedy offered to PIU's? Either way, I'm not impressed. If anything it feels like the nail in the coffin for any hope for the 4 bolt subframe remedy... the NHTSA has fairly clearly illuminated the problem and forced Ford to address it... but not in any meaningful way that would PREVENT rear axle bolt failures. Kinda seems like they're washing their hands of it, in a way.

Does anyone know if the replacement bushing is of a higher caliber? I am, admittedly, a bushing noob ;)

BBGun242

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer
Yea, it seems like it's an appeasement to the feds without fixing the problem. Maybe it brings the remedy for retail customers' vehicles in line with the original remedy offered to PIU's? Either way, I'm not impressed. If anything it feels like the nail in the coffin for any hope for the 4 bolt subframe remedy... the NHTSA has fairly clearly illuminated the problem and forced Ford to address it... but not in any meaningful way that would PREVENT rear axle bolt failures. Kinda seems like they're washing their hands of it, in a way.

Does anyone know if the replacement bushing is of a higher caliber? I am, admittedly, a bushing noob ;)

I would guess its a stiffer bushing to dampen the bolt movement and keep it from bottoming out the travel as quickly. That would be the scab fix I would see if I could engineer out. I don't have any insdie info though, just a experience in manufacturing engineering. It's not a true fix though if they are not using a higher grade bolt or more bolts. The bolts snap even with the diff case from what I've seen. Without increasing the cross sectional area of the bolt itself, this is basically kicking the can down the road to the next CEO. Unless there is a couple of deaths or serious accidents.

Polo08816

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2014 BMW 335i
Unbelievable that Ford would stick to their guns and only allow a replacement with the one bolt sub frame when they are now shipping 2023 models with the proper 2 bolt one. Would seem like a no brainer to put the more structurally sound part in when given the chance. It’s like they just don’t care or smell a class action suit from all of the 2021 and 2022 owners who were given the one bolt sub frame and could argue that it’s a defect that needs to be fixed. Sorry that they did this to you.
I was curious about when they finally moved to the 4 bolt subframe. I think we can assume all 2024 models and the 2025 model will incorporate this update subframe.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I was curious about when they finally moved to the 4 bolt subframe. I think we can assume all 2024 models and the 2025 model will incorporate this update subframe.
It’s hard to pin point a date but the four bolt subframes started reappearing during the 2023 model run but even then, it’s case by case given what information has shown up on the forum. The 2020 models had the four bolt subframe and then it shifted to a three bolt configuration starting during the 2021 model run and throughout the 2022 model run. The dates covered in the recall notice is your best guide to when the changes occurred.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
It’s hard to pin point a date but the four bolt subframes started reappearing during the 2023 model run but even then, it’s case by case given what information has shown up on the forum. The 2020 models had the four bolt subframe and then it shifted to a three bolt configuration starting during the 2021 model run and throughout the 2022 model run. The dates covered in the recall notice is your best guide to when the changes occurred.
A few 2023s have the 4 bolt. I think the vast majority are still 3 bolt.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
A few 2023s have the 4 bolt. I think the vast majority are still 3 bolt.
Yeah, I could have been clearer about that.

Should have written: “The 2020 models had the four bolt subframe and then it shifted to a three bolt configuration starting during the 2021 model run and continued throughout the 2022 model run and most of the 2023 model run.”

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Whats the actual "police" fix? Is it an actual physical part? I have seen aftermarket performance differential mounts you bolt to the differential and the crossmember, actually a few different performance aftermarket styles. I would think they could at least make a simple part that can be mounted by the dealer for cheap. There is a kit thats just a simple stamped steel piece that bolts to a couple of the differential bolts on the housing and then bolted to the frame with a square bushing pad. If mass produced couldn't cost much considering how simple the part is.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Whats the actual "police" fix? Is it an actual physical part? I have seen aftermarket performance differential mounts you bolt to the differential and the crossmember, actually a few different performance aftermarket styles. I would think they could at least make a simple part that can be mounted by the dealer for cheap. There is a kit thats just a simple stamped steel piece that bolts to a couple of the differential bolts on the housing and then bolted to the frame with a square bushing pad. If mass produced couldn't cost much considering how simple the part is.
Also forgot to mention one of the cheaper kits tuners are pushing 500 plus HP and torque through! I'm they could create a simple cheaper part that can handle at least 450 HP!

Reactions
what's the "Police Fix"?, the parking brake thing is annoying as hell