Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Safety Recall 22S27 Rear Axle Bolt Fractures

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I picked up my ST yesterday from local dealership for Rear Axle Bolt and Rear Camera Recall fixes.
Got about 6 miles from dealership on interstate and rear end started to whine, then all hell broke loose, made hell of a racket & locked up solid. Luckily was able to maneuver it to the shoulder and had roadside assistance haul back to dealer (after biz hours of course). Left voice message at Service desk to call me ASAP in morning to get S*%! figured out. Can't believe it but NOT surprised that a tech cannot do a simple fix.
Attached is the service write up of what they did.
The service “writer” is covering for the goons’ idiocy. The ticket plainly says he(?) drained the diff “fluid”. If it smoked after just a few miles, it wasn’t “under filled”, it was empty.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
The service “writer” is covering for the goons’ idiocy. The ticket plainly says he(?) drained the diff “fluid”. If it smoked after just a few miles, it wasn’t “under filled”, it was empty.
This is EXACTLY what I told my wife. It wasn't a "misread" it was bone dry.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
As a person who manages skilled union labor for a living, I would love to have been a fly on the wall for the interaction between technician and service manager. I can't imagine that the conversation was pleasant.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
As a person who manages skilled union labor for a living, I would love to have been a fly on the wall for the interaction between technician and service manager. I can't imagine that the conversation was pleasant.
The real shame is that the technicians are likely relatively new because the self-motivated auto repair techs are aging out and replaced with these unfortunate young people who grew up with idiots for parents and teachers who trained them on nothing other than how to be a victim. At least these people trying to work for a living, but they lack the life skills.

Also, the flat-rate pay system is seriously broken, so to make more money the techs are in such a rush to get the job done and out of their bay that simple things are forgotten. It’s a vicious, insidious circle that destroys itself.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
As much I want to get mine "fixed", I just don't trust the dealers and techs. Not that I have had any issues with my particular dealer, I just hate to introduce something when all is well otherwise. Torn on what to do cause I wonder if the original bolt fractures, will ford still cover the repair or they say, you should have completed the recall.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
As much I want to get mine "fixed", I just don't trust the dealers and techs. Not that I have had any issues with my particular dealer, I just hate to introduce something when all is well otherwise. Torn on what to do cause I wonder if the original bolt fractures, will ford still cover the repair or they say, you should have completed the recall.
i think we all know what Ford would do and it isn’t in the vehicle owner’s favor. Although my dealer still hasn’t gotten the parts in or is prioritizing fixing Police vehicles as there were a number of various jurisdiction’s vehicles cued up in the lot.

Boyd

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Recalls dont expire. Therefore, the bolt breaking before you can get it updated is the same as if you ignored it and it breaks later. You're still covered for a no-cost repair. However, waiting till it breaks later while you're using the ST could be an incredible inconvenience and create a lot of unnecessary anger. If the bolt shatters while you're going out to dinner on a cold November evening in 2025, are you gonna be mad at Ford? Or at yourself?

Then again, only between 350-400 Explorers have had their bolts broken out of 238,000. So if you drive yours like a normal, average Joe, maybe you'll never need it. But if you like to drive your ST, I'd def make a plan for getting it done.

My dealership, whom I have a good relationship with, says they dont have the bearing press tool yet. Last I heard they said sometime in April, but could be even later. Yeah, I know they could get one from Harbor Freight, but they are representing a Manufacturer... so no, they cant. If they used a different tool than what Ford calls for, they would be on the hook for any issues that might arise from that, and on their own with no backup.

Anyways, I think you should plan on getting it done. Find a dealership, talk to people. There are good ones out there. Peace of mind and dependability / trust mean the world to me.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
If your dealer is anything like mine beware. They had mine for a week to replace the smoked rear diff (because they didn't give it back to me with any fluid in it the first time) and I gave it a quick walk around at pickup yesterday. They completely mangled the Frame Rails. I installed lift pads on the pinch welds at the lift points and they didn't even use them. There are other issues I found as well. I'm actually at a loss of words at this point........... 20240303_074613.jpg 20240303_074659.jpg

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Recalls dont expire. Therefore, the bolt breaking before you can get it updated is the same as if you ignored it and it breaks later. You're still covered for a no-cost repair. However, waiting till it breaks later while you're using the ST could be an incredible inconvenience and create a lot of unnecessary anger. If the bolt shatters while you're going out to dinner on a cold November evening in 2025, are you gonna be mad at Ford? Or at yourself?

Then again, only between 350-400 Explorers have had their bolts broken out of 238,000. So if you drive yours like a normal, average Joe, maybe you'll never need it. But if you like to drive your ST, I'd def make a plan for getting it done ...

Anyways, I think you should plan on getting it done. Find a dealership, talk to people. There are good ones out there. Peace of mind and dependability / trust mean the world to me.
Your comment makes generous use of common sense & reason, which will immediately draw the convoluted ire of more than a few who infect this forum.

Posts like yours oppose those of the non thinking whiners, who I wouldn't trust to give me the correct answer to "2+2" (much less give me advice on my Explorer ST).

I would've expected as much from a Subie WRX forum, or even a Mustang/Camaro forum, but not an Explorer ST forum. An increasing number of the world's population is mentally/spiritually going to trash, a fact that I'm sadly reminded of here.

The rule of thumb for social media remains in force, that is, to keep whatever little good can be found and to hastily throw out the rest. I've had to throw a lot out here, but your post is not one of them. Well done Boyd, you give me hope!

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Seriously, wtf is wrong with you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
If your dealer is anything like mine beware. They had mine for a week to replace the smoked rear diff (because they didn't give it back to me with any fluid in it the first time) and I gave it a quick walk around at pickup yesterday. They completely mangled the Frame Rails. I installed lift pads on the pinch welds at the lift points and they didn't even use them. There are other issues I found as well. I'm actually at a loss of words at this point........... View attachment 21936 View attachment 21937
Wow Viking, that's brutal...sorry to hear.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Your comment makes generous use of common sense & reason, which will immediately draw the convoluted ire of more than a few who infect this forum.

Posts like yours oppose those of the non thinking whiners, who I wouldn't trust to give me the correct answer to "2+2" (much less give me advice on my Explorer ST).

I would've expected as much from a Subie WRX forum, or even a Mustang/Camaro forum, but not an Explorer ST forum. An increasing number of the world's population is mentally/spiritually going to trash, a fact that I'm sadly reminded of here.

The rule of thumb for social media remains in force, that is, to keep whatever little good can be found and to hastily throw out the rest. I've had to throw a lot out here, but your post is not one of them. Well done Boyd, you give me hope!
1709852488866.jpeg

Uhhh... well okay then.

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
My
If your dealer is anything like mine beware. They had mine for a week to replace the smoked rear diff (because they didn't give it back to me with any fluid in it the first time) and I gave it a quick walk around at pickup yesterday. They completely mangled the Frame Rails. I installed lift pads on the pinch welds at the lift points and they didn't even use them. There are other issues I found as well. I'm actually at a loss of words at this point........... View attachment 21936 View attachment 21937
My dealer did the same thing soon after I bought it in 2020. It was noted on this forum that Explorers were not being lifted in the correct place. I knew I would be doing my own oil changes from then on. Dealer had their body shop fix it, no problems at all and even gave me a loaner. By now the service depts should have figured out where to lift these Explorers.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
First, sorry to see what the dealer did to your vehicle. Hopefully they will make it right. Second, whose billet lift pads did you use? Seems like there are a number of people manufacturing them but mainly for GM and other manufacturers but nothing specific to the Explorer. I’m guessing that most would fit but since you already found some that work, I’d appreciate knowing what you ended up using.

_ATX_

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Does anyone know if Ford is still doing the auto parking brake engagement? I want to get the bushing/bolt replaced, but don't want to leave there with the parking brake "Fix" as well.