Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Recall Rear Bolt Fracture?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Had a '70 GTO. The ST would def overtake it.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Basically, Ford wants to save $.
As a manufacturer they tried to cut costs and pass on risks to consumers.

The 2.3L was spec'ed to only 'need' 1 Rear diff plate bolt, while the 3.0L was spec'ed to have 2.
This is flawed logic as the "1-bolt" rear diff setup was asymmetrical which means there is mechanical advantage, or "leverage" pressure being applied to that bolt at all times.
Some of us are tuning or pulling heavy tow loads, which puts enough pressure on that bolt to shear.

Although the front of the diff always has 2 bolts and stays connected, the rear bolts not only take a lot of the twisting forces, but keeps the diff properly aligned with the half-shafts. After the bolt shears the diff begins to sag, causing noise, vibration, and the possibility for the half-shafts to dislodge from the diff sockets.
It's dangerous AF and Ford should have never done something so cheap to a high performance vehicle. This honestly makes them look really bad.

EDIT: What should Ford have done? Have all the diffs be 4 bolts, be it 2.3L or 3.0L. If you have an SUV meant to tow, why would you not?
(How on God's green Earth do I have a Class IV tow package and 3 bolts? :rolleyes:)

Last edited:

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Had a '70 GTO. The ST would def overtake it.
It's amazing what technology has produced since the 60's and 70's. My 2005 GTO will run rings around my 68 GTO.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
It's amazing what technology has produced since the 60's and 70's. My 2005 GTO will run rings around my 68 GTO.
Yup, with 50 more HP and probably better gears.

3rd Rail

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST ‘22
Getting the rear bolt, rear climate, and 360 recall fix installed april 16th, never buying a ford again

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Basically, Ford wants to save $.
As a manufacturer they tried to cut costs and pass on risks to consumers.

EDIT: What should Ford have done? Have all the diffs be 4 bolts, be it 2.3L or 3.0L. If you have an SUV meant to tow, why would you not?
(How on God's green Earth do I have a Class IV tow package and 3 bolts? :rolleyes:)
Well, there are plenty of vehicles out there with just one offset rear diff subframe bushing. If their fix does indeed work, I would have no problem with that. I think the 2025's will be telling. If Ford truly believes their fix works, we will see 2025's with the 3 bolt setup. If 2025's come with 4, like the 2020s, then Ford is probably not confident and don't want to dig their grave any deeper. To date, I have not seen any reviewer who attended the 2025 Explorer unveiling look underneath to see how many rear differential subframe bushing supports there are.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Well, there are plenty of vehicles out there with just one offset rear diff subframe bushing. If their fix does indeed work, I would have no problem with that. I think the 2025's will be telling. If Ford truly believes their fix works, we will see 2025's with the 3 bolt setup. If 2025's come with 4, like the 2020s, then Ford is probably not confident and don't want to dig their grave any deeper. To date, I have not seen any reviewer who attended the 2025 Explorer unveiling look underneath to see how many rear differential subframe bushing supports there are.
1711051239156.png

StarWhite22

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
So I took mine in the other day for the recall and all they did was inspect the bolt and said it didn’t need attention at this time. Not sure wtf that means but clearly they didn’t replace the bushing or the bolt.

Reactions
Glad I purchased and already have a diff brace for my 2025 ST that is on order..

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I am not sure I'd be putting a brace on a brand new car under warranty. If the rear diff goes kaput, they could blame the brace.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
I’d like a peek under a 2025 PIU.

Reactions
Not worried about that in the least. I can play games with Ford if I need to.

I will be towing close to the maximum GVWR and I will take my piece of mind over Ford's design issues.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
So I took mine in the other day for the recall and all they did was inspect the bolt and said it didn’t need attention at this time. Not sure wtf that means but clearly they didn’t replace the bushing or the bolt.
I would find a new dealer. Unless you have a rare 2022 with both bolts.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Does it have the bushing style with the "solid metal core" already?

StarWhite22

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
It’s just a single bolt. I don’t think it has anything updated. We haven’t had any issues with it and bought it brand new and we’re at 38,000 miles now.

Yea I may check with a dealer in Florida when we visit there.

HotIce

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
It’s just a single bolt. I don’t think it has anything updated. We haven’t had any issues with it and bought it brand new and we’re at 38,000 miles now.

My dealer said the same thing, however I told them there is definitely something going on back there. If I reverse then hit the brakes with medium to hard force there is a chance for a clunk that I can't track down. I still get the recall notices via mail and such. I guess they want me to wait until something breaks. It's a 2021 with only 18k miles on it.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST

What's your build date? Seems like after October 2022 they started putting in the revised bushing so no recall for those built after 10/2022

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST

If the bushing's metal center "core" looks like this (with the hollow areas under the washer), it should be replaced with the "solid center" version as part of the recall.

1711401440646.png

Reactions
My dealer said the same thing, however I told them there is definitely something going on back there. If I reverse then hit the brakes with medium to hard force there is a chance for a clunk that I can't track down. I still get the recall notices via mail and such. I guess they want me to wait until something breaks. It's a 2021 with only 18k miles on it.
This happens to me too. Transmission was just replaced and it’s still happening. Has to be something with the rear diff.

HotIce

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
This happens to me too. Transmission was just replaced and it’s still happening. Has to be something with the rear diff.
It's scary you said that cause I swear my shifts feel funny to like sometimes it's hard or feels 'confused' about if it should shift or not... sometimes shifting up, down, back up all in a very short time. That's even when it's not under heavy load, just casually driving to town in eco mode or normal.