Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Rear end damage

Reactions
To add the second bolt, they would have to change out the rear cradle first. And to change the cradle they have to drop the exhaust, rear driveshaft, and drop the cradle, then swap the suspension and rear diff over to the new cradle, then put it all back together. That's a lot of labor. If you were to pay out of pocket for a rear cradle swap, I can see the bill being around 3-4K. That is why I wouldn't put it past ford to try take the cheap way out.

Ford wouldn't outright admit they detuned them, they would claim something along the lines of they softened the torque output to put less strain on the rear diff. Or some similar story to cover their ass. 90% of the ST and Platinum owners would never notice the difference, but we would, and frankly we are the minority.

Honestly, it would be hard to prove they detuned them. I've personally seen a 10 hp difference on a chassis dyno on two back to back pulls with the same vehicle on the same day with no changes. Even if you managed to have a stock dyno run and went back after the recall to the same dyno, ford would claim it was the weather conditions that changed causing a lower reading.

Personally, I would recommend to wait it out and see what exactly they are going to do for this recall. If it's just a PCM update, PASS. But if there is also a rear cradle replacement, then maybe put it back to stock, take it in for the recall, then load your tune back on when you get it back. Even if you have to pay your tuner a Benjamin to update your tune after the recall, it's far cheaper than 3-4K for a rear cradle swap.
Agree 100% with everything you said...however, can't the stock tune be downloaded and compared to the updated tune? (I'm no expert on these matters...)

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
If you have the right software you could compare them, but unless you know what you are doing, I would leave it to the experts.

Reactions
If you have the right software you could compare them, but unless you know what you are doing, I would leave it to the experts.
There are at least a few guys already planning to do this...or so they've indicated.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Damn you guys, well I was kinda excited about this lol well let’s see. I definitely agree with waiting to see exactly what it entails.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The entire rear subframe has to be replaced...it's easily $3,000 in work.
I paid $1400 for my crossmember so 3K doesnn't sound unreasonable for dealer prices for replacement. MSRP is like $2000 for the crossmember.

Reactions
There are at least a few guys already planning to do this...or so they've indicated.
It’s only worthwhile to compare if the tuning software has the tables Ford makes changes to unlocked or “viewable”.

Folks tried to say that the TSB for the Gen2 3.5 eco phaser “flash” only changes the active grill settings. There were a lot more changes behind the scenes to things like the variable oil pump, etc.

I’m not saying it’s pointless to compare at all, just that we may not see the whole picture with aftermarket Software.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GORDO

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
22’ ST
I was curious how much a dealer would charge to swap it. They quoted me 2k plus parts.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Well the parts are almost 2K retail so 4K for the swap. About what I guessed.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Feb 22 build with recall in FordPass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
True, acknowledgement from ford is huge. But if they are really doing a PCM update, that tells me ford is going to try the cheap way out first and hope the issue just goes away. If that is what they are really planning, I can see lawsuits coming. Because they are essentially detuning the vehicle to keep the parts from breaking.
To add the second bolt, they would have to change out the rear subframe first. And to change the subframe they have to drop the exhaust, rear driveshaft, and drop the subframe, then swap the suspension and rear diff over to the new subframe, then put it all back together. That's a lot of labor. If you were to pay out of pocket for a rear subframe swap, I can see the bill being around 3-4K. That is why I wouldn't put it past ford to try take the cheap way out.

Ford wouldn't outright admit they detuned them, they would claim something along the lines of they softened the torque output to put less strain on the rear diff. Or some similar story to cover their ass. 90% of the ST and Platinum owners would never notice the difference, but we would, and frankly we are the minority.

Honestly, it would be hard to prove they detuned them. I've personally seen a 10 hp difference on a chassis dyno on two back to back pulls with the same vehicle on the same day with no changes. Even if you managed to have a stock dyno run and went back after the recall to the same dyno, ford would claim it was the weather conditions that changed causing a lower reading.

Personally, I would recommend to wait it out and see what exactly they are going to do for this recall. If it's just a PCM update, PASS. But if there is also a rear subframe replacement, then maybe put it back to stock, take it in for the recall, then load your tune back on when you get it back. Even if you have to pay your tuner a Benjamin to update your tune after the recall, it's far cheaper than 3-4K for a rear subframe swap.
I honestly do not think they will detune the vehicle, this would cause more problems for them. It would no longer be the vehicle you purchased. You were sold a vehicle with 400HP and 415FT. My guess is they need to get the enough stockpile of the parts needed before they issue the full recall.

Last edited:

jmcneil

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
New here. Mine was built 4/9/22 and has the single bolt. Received the recall in my Ford app... Was really bummed when I crawled under it at pickup and saw that...

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
The recall could be as small as just inspect the bolt.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Just saw this on one of the fb groups. Powertrain control module update??? Not looking good.
So what exactly does this mean for us that are tuned if they're going to flash the PCM?

Reactions
Sounds like some of that is based off the issue the guy had at the boat ramp?

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
So what exactly does this mean for us that are tuned if they're going to flash the PCM?
Not sure, but this seems like a BS fix. I don’t know. I guess we should wait to see final plans but this is a physical/mechanical issue. Wtf does software have to do with anything. I can see lawsuits in the near future if they attempt to modify power output in anyway. I bought a vehicle because it drove a certain way. You modify that capacity, litigation is on.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Not sure, but this seems like a BS fix. I don’t know. I guess we should wait to see final plans but this is a physical/mechanical issue. Wtf does software have to do with anything. I can see lawsuits in the near future if they attempt to modify power output in anyway. I bought a vehicle because it drove a certain way. You modify that capacity, litigation is on.
Excatly, I can only assume that if they're touching the PCM they're going to lower the power output to not put so much strain on the rear diff bolts which is BS.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
Looks to be the wimpiest "fix" they could have possibly done. The people who approved removing the bolt should be fired. Same with this "fix".

Explorer ST Posts