Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Rear end damage

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Sweet. Maybe they will pay for my subframe arriving Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Showed up in my Ford app too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Just saw this on the fb page! Fantastic news.

Reactions
I'm scheduled for Monday...so happy about this.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
It's on my ford pass app also.

Reactions
Hypothesis now is this is a possible PCM swap to reduce power, rather than a subframe swap.

Reactions
It’s odd there is nothing listed in the description, remedy, and safety risk.

Reactions
Actually just called my service dept….they said this is just advanced notice and no remedy has been made available to the service dept. they stated they have to wait until ford completes the recall notice. Said we should get another notice in the app. Not sure how C4talyst got his scheduled.

Reactions
Actually just called my service dept….they said this is just advanced notice and no remedy has been made available to the service dept. they stated they have to wait until ford completes the recall notice. Said we should get another notice in the app. Not sure how C4talyst got his scheduled.
Girl probably didn't know better. She just located it in their system and scheduled. If this doesn't involve a subframe replacement I'm not going to bother. I'm sure Ford is going to try their best to avoid doing a ton of $3,000 repairs.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Maybe it’s a diffy stiffy fix lol. Either way, acknowledgement from ford for this is huge.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
True, acknowledgement from ford is huge. But if they are really doing a PCM update, that tells me ford is going to try the cheap way out first and hope the issue just goes away. If that is what they are really planning, I can see lawsuits coming. Because they are essentially detuning the vehicle to keep the parts from breaking.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Nothing on my FordPass.

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Just FYI. Just checked mine and nothing on it. However I have the 4 bolt rear end.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
i wouldnt be surprised if they blame the bolt and just repace it with a stronger one and call it a day.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
True, acknowledgement from ford is huge. But if they are really doing a PCM update, that tells me ford is going to try the cheap way out first and hope the issue just goes away. If that is what they are really planning, I can see lawsuits coming. Because they are essentially detuning the vehicle to keep the parts from breaking.
I would imagine if they detuned then they would have to change hp and torque advertised for the car. I don’t see them doing any of that. What’s the number they would need to it? Reduce 3, 5, 15hp?

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
i wouldnt be surprised if they blame the bolt and just repace it with a stronger one and call it a day.
Seems like it would be easier to add the proper second bolt no? I have no idea though. I guess we’ll just have to wait to see what the description says. Should clear things up.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
To add the second bolt, they would have to change out the rear subframe first. And to change the subframe they have to drop the exhaust, rear driveshaft, and drop the subframe, then swap the suspension and rear diff over to the new subframe, then put it all back together. That's a lot of labor. If you were to pay out of pocket for a rear subframe swap, I can see the bill being around 3-4K. That is why I wouldn't put it past ford to try take the cheap way out.

Ford wouldn't outright admit they detuned them, they would claim something along the lines of they softened the torque output to put less strain on the rear diff. Or some similar story to cover their ass. 90% of the ST and Platinum owners would never notice the difference, but we would, and frankly we are the minority.

Honestly, it would be hard to prove they detuned them. I've personally seen a 10 hp difference on a chassis dyno on two back to back pulls with the same vehicle on the same day with no changes. Even if you managed to have a stock dyno run and went back after the recall to the same dyno, ford would claim it was the weather conditions that changed causing a lower reading.

Personally, I would recommend to wait it out and see what exactly they are going to do for this recall. If it's just a PCM update, PASS. But if there is also a rear subframe replacement, then maybe put it back to stock, take it in for the recall, then load your tune back on when you get it back. Even if you have to pay your tuner a Benjamin to update your tune after the recall, it's far cheaper than 3-4K for a rear subframe swap.

Last edited:
Reactions
Seems like it would be easier to add the proper second bolt no? I have no idea though. I guess we’ll just have to wait to see what the description says. Should clear things up.
The entire rear subframe has to be replaced...it's easily $3,000 in work.

Explorer ST Posts