Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Rear end damage

RobHalo

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I'd of course rather see the proper parts installed than this PCM change bs. But what if they decided to pull some power from the launch to "protect" the bolt, and bumped up peak power to compensate? If the result of the "tune" was a faster vehicle, maybe there wouldn't be many complaints about slower 60 foots?

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Unfortunately, all guesswork until we actually see what they do and if a PCM update I'm sure it won't be long until we get some results. I will avoid having the recall done until I see what others experience. And I am definitely installing the new crossmember even if before we know the results of this recall as I'm not willing to take the chance it breaks at speed.

Reactions
I'd of course rather see the proper parts installed than this PCM change bs. But what if they decided to pull some power from the launch to "protect" the bolt, and bumped up peak power to compensate? If the result of the "tune" was a faster vehicle, maybe there wouldn't be many complaints about slower 60 foots?
As already stated, we just don’t know what they are doing yet, but if I’m reading what was posted from Ford correctly, it’s for lower HP models as well and Ford really hits on the “safety” factor that the vehicle could roll if still in park with the busted bolt. It isn’t far fetched to think that they will flash the vehicles so the park brake is engaged when the vehicle is in park.

This is a safety recall first and foremost and there is already a TSB in place to replace the Subframe if you have an actual failure. We’ll find out more in the near future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I didn't read through all 23 pages of this thread, could someone please tell me how many owners have actually experienced this failure?

Maybe I should start a specific thread "Who has had a bolt failure on their subframe?"

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
As already stated, we just don’t know what they are doing yet, but if I’m reading what was posted from Ford correctly, it’s for lower HP models as well and Ford really hits on the “safety” factor that the vehicle could roll if still in park with the busted bolt. It isn’t far fetched to think that they will flash the vehicles so the park brake is engaged when the vehicle is in park.

This is a safety recall first and foremost and there is already a TSB in place to replace the Subframe if you have an actual failure. We’ll find out more in the near future.

I read that exact hypothesis on the Facebook page this morning about the brake being engaged.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Aside from the “will they fix it the right way” issue, I’ve often wondered why the parking brake doesn’t auto-engage when in Park. Are there any reasons why we wouldn’t want this feature? Since the parking brake disengages as soon as the vehicle is driven, I can’t think of any.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
As of today, there are no recalls posted for my ST on NHTSA (note the refresh date of 4/21/22) but there is a note about it on MyFord (which posted it a week earlier on 4/14/22):

nhtsa.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ford recall.jpg

Reactions
Looks like I got my 2022 just in time.

Reactions
I sent this thread to Jalopnik and Autoblog hoping it can bring some attention to the software fix for the mechanical bolt. I noticed my RWD is a 3 bolt and has a yellow tag on the right LCA. I am planning to install the AWR brace but want to wait until after all the recall stuff is done.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Looks like I got my 2022 just in time.
As did I, but now I have a brand new vehicle who's axle bolt could break off at any time!

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
As did I, but now I have a brand new vehicle who's axle bolt could break off at any time!
I wouldn’t stress that much. Unless you’re running every single mod, and driving like a race car driver daily, I think the chances of it braking are rather slim.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I wouldn’t stress that much. Unless you’re running every single mod, and driving like a race car driver daily, I think the chances of it braking are rather slim.
I sure hope so! I didn't plan on modifying my ST, so hopefully everything should be good to go (there's that word "hopefully" again Lol).

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I sure hope so! I didn't plan on modifying my ST, so hopefully everything should be good yo go (there's that word "hopefully" again Lol).
Told myself I wouldn’t mod my 22 ST.

That lasted a day

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I sure hope so! I didn't plan on modifying my ST, so hopefully everything should be good yo go (there's that word "hopefully" again Lol).

That lasted a day

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions

That lasted a day

I knew better. I had a pile of parts in my garage a month before I got mine. At my age I know myself well enough that it didn’t bother me

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I knew better. I had a pile of parts in my garage a month before I got mine. At my age I know myself well enough that it didn’t bother me

Yeah so far I've got a ZFG 93 octane tune (revision 1 still but working on optimizing it), K&N drop-in filter and a Gibson Axle-Back Exhaust coming in next week. I'll probably add a IC at some point in the summer time here.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST

That lasted a day
hahaha

Well, I had a bunch of new performance cars that remained bone stock, including a trio of Mustang GT's, a Fusion Sport, a Taurus SHO and a KIA Stinger GT.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST

Explorer ST Posts