Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Rear end damage

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
How many of those are XLT's and limited's that don't need the 2 bolt sub and ford only included them as a CYA scenario?

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
How many of those are XLT's and limited's that don't need the 2 bolt sub and ford only included them as a CYA scenario?
That seems to be info that's privy to Ford and to them alone.

Unless they come out with another public statement like the one reported in the link that breaks everything down, we will never know.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
If ford were to tell the truth, that the real reason this is happening is because they decided to save a few bucks and use the 1 bolt subframe, then NHTSA would be all up in their ass over this.
But aren’t they given that they’re willing to fix the police interceptors properly but not all other explorers? I mean that right there is crazy. All explorers including police vehicles with 3 bolts have the same risks. So how they can possibly say well, we’ll fix a certain segment of explorers but not all. It’s insane and not okay. You’re basically saying we know how to actually fix this but only choosing to do so on certain explorers.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
But aren’t they given that they’re willing to fix the police interceptors properly but not all other explorers? I mean that right there is crazy. All explorers including police vehicles with 3 bolts have the same risks. So how they can possibly say well, we’ll fix a certain segment of explorers but not all. It’s insane and not okay. You’re basically saying we know how to actually fix this but only choosing to do so on certain explorers.
They're either "assuming" that the police units will have a greater chance of breaking due to their service parameters or ...
They're fixing theirs and not ours because they know police agencies will sue or ...
It's a combination of both.

But yes, we are definitely getting the short end of the warranty stick.

Reactions
I truly not defending Ford here, but if you step back and look at it from a $$$ standpoint (only thing Ford really cares about).

They reported less than 300 failures for the entire 6th Gen fleet, which is a VERY small percentage. It doesn’t make sense to implement a recall to replace expensive parts on all vehicles. They are addressing the safety aspect of it with the parking brake fix and a break/fix scenario with the TSB.

PIU vehicles are overall subject to a harsher driving style as well as the fact that they are “emergency response vehicles”, not only the safety of the driver and vehicle are important, but the safety of those they are responding too. It also is coming across that they aren’t just replacing the entire sub frame, but adding a brace, replacing the cover and using a different bolt (some speculation until the procedure is released). Folks can argue about the “they had 2 bolts”, but the bottom line is that Ford is going to look at the cost and safety aspect with fines in mind. That’s about it. Other manufacturers take the same approach.

Although I have a diff brace on order and will probably do the 2 bolt subframe, I really think we are all blowing this way out of proportion. A 0.01% failure rate is pretty low.

I’m doing the brace and likely the subframe, because of the tune I run and my driving style. I want to launch at the track with confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I truly not defending Ford here, but if you step back and look at it from a $$$ standpoint (only thing Ford really cares about).

They reported less than 300 failures for the entire 6th Gen fleet, which is a VERY small percentage...
100%(y)

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer
Finally the safety recall notice for single bolt rear ends!!!!!! Yes!!

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I guess you mean the e-brake pcm re-calibration?

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Yup, that's our retail ("non police") pcm reflash for keeping the vehicle from rolling if/when the bolt breaks.

Untitledmn.jpg

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer
Jesus, so another band aide until it breaks. Doesn’t sound like a suitable solution for safety standards.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Just an fyi for those considering replacing the cross member. I got quoted $1300 for 8hrs book time labor only as I am providing parts ($1400 for parts). Was considering having Ford do it in the event they eventually up the recall to include the cross member and I might have a chance of getting it paid for. I guessed a grand to do it. Now I just have to decide if $1300 is worth a day of my time and some hacked up hands :D

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
... Doesn’t sound like a suitable solution for safety standards.
It isn't.

Just an fyi for those considering replacing the cross member. I got quoted $1300 for 8hrs book time labor only as I am providing parts ($1400 for parts). Was considering having Ford do it in the event they eventually up the recall to include the cross member and I might have a chance of getting it paid for ...
Pay 50k-60k for a new vehicle, and then have to put in another 3k to make it right.

C'mon Ford, time to get your act together. Otherwise, I'm going to have to consider Whoosh Motorsports $249 no-drill Rear Diff Mount.

cmcwhorter42

Firefighter
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Update- Received a call from my dealer after having the car for a week, saying they want me to bring it back. I picked it up on 4/23/22 the day it was delivered from the factory. I only noticed the recall when I connected the Fordpass app that evening. Called them the next day to ask if I need to stop driving it or bring it back. They said no, a week later they are very eager to have me bring it back and gave me a loaner if I did. I guess that date of 4/19/22 really is legit, and they were, or are looking at a big fine.

FordMatt

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Of the two different pics of breaks I’ve seen, the diffs clearly show a two bolt attachment point on the diff cover which also points to the obvious. Ford does make a single attachment diff cover for models that by design (less hp/to) only require the single bolt rear subframe attachment point.
Ford uses the same differential cover (with 2 subframe bolt hole locations) across several models of the explorer. This is performed to reduce parts complexity for the vehicle (insert obvious reasons).

The difference on previous models was that some models used both mounting locations on some models(ST/Hybrid) due to increased torque load. This was accompanied by the 2 differently equipped subframes.

You will find even on the "updated" 22 MY vehicles, that only have a single rear mounting location in the subframe, the differential cover continues to have 2 bolt holes available.

TLDR: Ford does not make a single bolt hole differential cover. (For the affected vehicles)

Last edited:
Reactions
Ford uses the same differential cover (with 2 subframe bolt hole locations) across several models of the explorer. This is performed to reduce parts complexity for the vehicle (insert obvious reasons).

The difference on previous models was that some models used both mounting locations on some models(ST/Hybrid) due to increased torque load. This was accompanied by the 2 differently equipped subframes.

You will find even on the "updated" 22 MY vehicles, that only have a single rear mounting location in the subframe, the differential cover continues to have 2 bolt holes available.

TLDR: Ford does not make a single bolt hole differential cover.
Understood, but isn't the main point that the subframe doesn't allow for a second bolt due to the lack of a proper sized hole to fit the bushing?

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Update- Received a call from my dealer after having the car for a week, saying they want me to bring it back ...
WHOOPS!

db252

Reactions
Vehicle
22 ST

TLDR: Ford does not make a single bolt hole differential cover.
Ford Explorer single bolt diff cover.

F240CA45-EC9A-469C-A1B5-FE7FF0122FF7.jpeg

FordMatt

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Ford Explorer single bolt diff cover.

View attachment 12006
What is the part number/engineering number of that diff? It will not be covered under the SSM that has been released for this concern.
Just added clarification to my previous statement.

FordMatt

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Understood, but isn't the main point that the subframe doesn't allow for a second bolt due to the lack of a proper sized hole to fit the bushing?
I cannot speak to the reason, but a design change was made and the vehicles are now equipped with only one location for bushing installation in the subframe. Ford did not redesign the differential housing used on these vehicles.

2 diff holes + 1 subframe hole is normal operating characteristic.