Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Rear end damage

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Mine seems to have a mind of it's own. Sometimes it automatically engages the brake when I put it in park. Sometimes when I put it into drive it seems to tug at the ebrake before it releases. Sometimes it doesn't put the ebrake on.

cmcwhorter42

Firefighter
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Let us know what you find out.
Waiting for the dealership to open this morning to get ahold of someone who can give me some answers (hopefully). I have to say that I really like this car more than I thought other than the major rear end issue

cmcwhorter42

Firefighter
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Large dealership by me has no fix at their location as of now. They haven't been informed by Ford what and when the fix is coming. They didn't know about any software update. Hard to get answers on the phone, better off going down there on my day off.

FordMatt

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Those of you claiming to have automatic EPB engagement, this is a feature with all current generation explorers. This feature only engages when the vehicle determines it is parked on an incline. The EPB will automatically disengage after the vehicle determines the power train/drive train has produced adequate torque to prevent the vehicle from rolling once the EPB is released. This feature is not related to “leaked” software update that has been mentioned previously.

Dealerships have not been provided any additional service support information regarding the broken bolt concern beyond SSM 50471. All information supports that the SSM is sufficient in resolving consumer vehicle concerns.

FSA 22S27 was released to address the safety concerns regarding the ability of the vehicle to roll following a failure. This FSA does not address vehicle failures as these were identified/resolved with SSM 50471.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
... Dealerships have not been provided any additional service support information regarding the broken bolt concern beyond SSM 50471. All information supports that the SSM is sufficient in resolving consumer vehicle concerns.

FSA 22S27 was released to address the safety concerns regarding the ability of the vehicle to roll following a failure. This FSA does not address vehicle failures as these were identified/resolved with SSM 50471.
Very good sum up of the situation as it exists now.(y)

Bdub

Reactions
I wasn’t told of any Safety notice.I had been waiting weeks on this thing to get here. If I had only joined this forum before Saturday. I’m going to call the dealer about the notice.
You're unbelievably lucky IMO. I ordered my ST Oct. 7th. It arrived at the dealership TODAY. They're telling me they can't deliver it because of the recall. They're going off the same info we have (less in most cases) and the info says end of Q2 for a solution. They don't have anything concrete on the solution or timeline.

I'd rather take delivery and replace the subframe with a two bolt myself.

Bdub

Reactions
I wasn’t told of any Safety notice.I had been waiting weeks on this thing to get here. If I had only joined this forum before Saturday. I’m going to call the dealer about the notice.
Moreover, delivering a safety recall vehicle is a $21,000 fine to the dealership. Among other punishments with which Ford can hit them.

Reactions
So they "admit" the three bolt design wasn't good for the ST but will not commit to replacing the subframe unless the bolt fails or has signs of fatigue..... I guess that's one of way circling around some junior engineer and bean counter found a way to save a few bananas and then it blew up in their face.....

I guess all you three bolters needs to start doing some 2500 rpm brake stands every day on the way to work.....

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
..... I guess all you three bolters needs to start doing some 2500 rpm brake stands every day on the way to work.....
Been there, doing that!

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Same here.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Hopefully, they go back to the previous design for new builds going forward...it might be a benefit for those of us still awaiting their order to be scheduled!

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
That would be super if Ford would do that but I think that is simply wishful thinking.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I often go full throttle at ~50 mph, because that's one of the best downshifts the ST has for putting you back in your seat. I do it with some regularity.

And power braking on occasion when traffic permits.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Hopefully, they go back to the previous design for new builds going forward...it might be a benefit for those of us still awaiting their order to be scheduled!
I can't believe mine is a '22 and they didn't do that.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
I will take a court intervention to force them to.

Reactions
Law of averages, you hooligans that purposely abusive your vehicle forced a limp wristed hand to "do something" and the guy who damn near parked his in the water at the boat ramp caused this "solution". I bet at the end of the day if they see a 1% failure rate they will be money ahead.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I often go full throttle at ~50 mph, because that's one of the best downshifts the ST has for putting you back in your seat. I do it with some regularity.

And power braking on occasion when traffic permits.
Hmm I haven’t noticed that yet. I still feel from a stop this thing rips and puts you back in your seat.

Rick

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Rapid Red
Affected vehicles were built with a 3-point mounted axle design," Ford's report said. "On some units the rear axle horizontal mounting bolt may fracture. Powertrain torque through the driveline causes axle rotation of the pinion angled towards the subframe, which exerts a bending force on the rear axle bolt. Peak torque is normally experienced during a launch event."
"The joint design is not robust to peak axle input torques and manufacturing variability. The primary contributor is insufficient bearing area for maximum joint loads. This results in bearing area deformation, increasing bending stress on the bolt, which may lead to a fatigue failure," Ford said.
Signs of fatigue failure include loud grinding, binding or clunking noises from the rear end of the vehicle. The remedy for the issue is twofold. Customers will get a software update that will enable a feature where the parking brake will automatically be applied when the vehicle is shifted into park. Owners of some earlier examples (or any that show signs of fatigue) will get new mounting components for the rear axle as well.
Dealers will be notified beginning in April; owners will receive notices by June 10.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Owners of some earlier examples (or any that show signs of fatigue) will get new mounting components for the rear axle as well.
That sentence right there tells me ford will just replace broken or damaged parts and possibly replace the bolt with a stronger one. Carefully chosen words that are purposely not specific leaves a lot unanswered.

I suspect that the owners of early 21's whose vin shows they should have the 4 bolt subframe will get it if they encounter a failure. But at some point ford probably changed it so they show a 3 bolt subframe as the correct part, and that is what they will get. The only way to know for sure is find a friendly parts counter guy at the dealer and have him run your vin and see what part it calls for. If your vin shows a 3 bolt as the correct part, then the only way your going to get a 4 bolt subframe is buy it yourself because I highly doubt ford will cough up the coin to give you a 4 bolt even with a failure.