Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Rear end damage

Reactions
2 diff holes + 1 subframe hole is normal operating characteristic.
Normal faulty operating characteristics. It’s a shame.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I cannot speak to the reason, but a design change was made and the vehicles are now equipped with only one location for bushing installation in the subframe. Ford did not redesign the differential housing used on these vehicles.

2 diff holes + 1 subframe hole is normal operating characteristic.
Yes, both you and bigcat are correct.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Just an fyi for those considering replacing the cross member. I got quoted $1300 for 8hrs book time labor only as I am providing parts ($1400 for parts). Was considering having Ford do it in the event they eventually up the recall to include the cross member and I might have a chance of getting it paid for. I guessed a grand to do it. Now I just have to decide if $1300 is worth a day of my time and some hacked up hands :D
It looks like you will need a new differential cover also. I haven't found part numbers but here are a couple pictutes.

Attachments

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
It looks like you will need a new differential cover also. I haven't found part numbers but here are a couple pictutes.

Mine has two bolt holes ready to receive the second bolt.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
One less thing for you then. (y)
Yes. That's the sad part to me. The difference between my 1 bolt and two bolt is tiny. On the one bolt there is just a hole. On the two bolt, there is a larger hole with an isolator installed. So what, they saved a couple bucks on the subframe and another couple bucks on the bolt?
The worst part is a lot of the sub frame bolts are use once throw away. I've got maybe $50 in bolts. Still haven't decided if I'm going to bite the bullet and do it myself or break out my wallet.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I put a hold on an ST to buy just over a month ago, off the lot, and the day I was going to pick it up they called and said they couldn't deliver due to this recall. I finally got it 3 days ago and can confirm the parking brake automatically engages in park on any degree of incline now. So the PCM update must be rolling out already.

It was worth the wait.. I love this thing.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
... It was worth the wait.. I love this thing.
Being the first SUV I've ever owned, I can also say that the ST is a joy to drive.

Reactions
Vehicle
1892 stanly steemer
You cannot brace a differential as ford has done and have a 400HP with similar torque motor to it and not have the thing bend bolts or snap bolts.

This is why the bolt is breaking...

In this video is a Pontiac Solstice. It is the first year they were released. The following year the problem was corrected. At the 2:00 mark in the video you are going to see the nose of the differential pitch upwards. This is what a differential wants to do when accelerating. That is because of the torsional forces being applied to the ground. Those same forces are what cause the nose of a drag car to lift off the ground, it is the nose of the differential that is going the lifting.

GM also ha a bad way of attaching the diff on a vehicle that had only 170HP/TQ and the car only weighs 2900lbs so easier to move.

See how the nose of the diff is bouncing up and down. This driver was only driving the car and it was not gunning it off the line which is when the problem is the worst. Even when there are the 2 bolts in place the bolts may not break but there is still the pitching that is occurring and this is going to trash the input shaft bearings on the diff and I would be suprised if the bolts didn't bend.

How GM corrected the problem for the Solstice is the ONLY proper way to correct the problem and that is to install a torque bar that bolts onto the nose of the differential and heads down the propeller shaft tunnel and then bolts to the tail of the transmission. Leverage is what gets used to hold the nose of the differential in proper alignment with the transmission and stops that rotation of the differential.

Trying to fix this issue in any other manner is going to require the use of rubber mounts and the differential is still going to move around and put stresses on those mounts. There also has to b structure under the vehicle that is able to hold the diff and I don't think there is anything that can be easily bolted to that would solve the issue.

Reactions
Vehicle
1892 stanly steemer
The funny thing about the parking brake thing they are doing. That is not a fix for the problem. The bolt will still snap. The parking break being activated when the car is put into park is so when someone pulls over after the bolt has broken and puts the vehicle in park and then gets out if the axle pulled out of the diff the car will roll away making a bad issue a whole lot worse. having the parking brake set when putting it in park makes it so the car will not roll away. It i no way fixes the problem. The recall is so Ford doesn't get sued when a vehicle goes rolling down a hill and runs someone over. The blame can then be placed on the owner for not getting the recall performed and removes Ford as being the responsible party.

Reactions
You cannot brace a differential as ford has done and have a 400HP with similar torque motor to it and not have the thing bend bolts or snap bolts.

This is why the bolt is breaking...

In this video is a Pontiac Solstice. It is the first year they were released. The following year the problem was corrected. At the 2:00 mark in the video you are going to see the nose of the differential pitch upwards. This is what a differential wants to do when accelerating. That is because of the torsional forces being applied to the ground. Those same forces are what cause the nose of a drag car to lift off the ground, it is the nose of the differential that is going the lifting.

GM also ha a bad way of attaching the diff on a vehicle that had only 170HP/TQ and the car only weighs 2900lbs so easier to move.

See how the nose of the diff is bouncing up and down. This driver was only driving the car and it was not gunning it off the line which is when the problem is the worst. Even when there are the 2 bolts in place the bolts may not break but there is still the pitching that is occurring and this is going to trash the input shaft bearings on the diff and I would be suprised if the bolts didn't bend.

How GM corrected the problem for the Solstice is the ONLY proper way to correct the problem and that is to install a torque bar that bolts onto the nose of the differential and heads down the propeller shaft tunnel and then bolts to the tail of the transmission. Leverage is what gets used to hold the nose of the differential in proper alignment with the transmission and stops that rotation of the differential.

Trying to fix this issue in any other manner is going to require the use of rubber mounts and the differential is still going to move around and put stresses on those mounts. There also has to b structure under the vehicle that is able to hold the diff and I don't think there is anything that can be easily bolted to that would solve the issue.
Am I missing something? The Explorers have support on the front of the diff, it’s just the lack of support in the rear for the “one-bolt” subframes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
saw this on a Facebook group (13:40 runtime)

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions

Not new. It's been posted here. Wish it wasn't. That belongs on Facebook.

Last edited:
Reactions
darn it… didn’t know. :/ whoops sorry.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST

That ST 3 bolter was tuned, made lots of drag strip runs, and was using some type of launch control "chip." Results are as expected.

Not comparable to stock ST's.

Reactions
Vehicle
1892 stanly steemer
While there may be support for the front of the diff there is an inherent design flaw in using the kind of system they used to hold the diff. One user had mentioned upgrading the bushings in the front mounts so the diff would not move around as much. This is a great idea except the mounts are bolted to the frame on the car. You end up hearing every single sound the diff makes inside the vehicle. The bushings on the front mounts need to remain soft enough o as little noise as possible gets transferred to the inside of the vehicle. So the snout of the differential ends up rocking during acceleration. The mounts attached to the back of the diff also have to remain soft so noise does not transfer. This is where a torque arm works the best. zero transfer on noise to the vehicle compartment and it stops the differential from pitching upwards at the nose during acceleration. The torque arm is not attached the body or frame of the vehicle at all and it uses the weight of the engine and transmission to solve the problem. This is not a new idea and has been used for as long as I have been alive and I am sure it has been around since some of the first high torque vehicles were made.

The reason why manufacturers are moving away from the design is because it work, it works without failure in most cases. That means no parts revenue when the vehicle gets old. Bushings go bad with use and also time they are almost guaranteed revenue in the future. I bet those bushings cost a decent chunk of money as well. what is the total cost to replace all of the bushings that hold the diff in place?

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Similar to the torque arm, the single rear subframe bolt also works without failure in most cases (99.9071% success rate according to FORD's data).

Reactions
That ST 3 bolter was tuned, made lots of drag strip runs, and was using some type of launch control "chip." Results are as expected.

Not comparable to stock ST's.
Fair point . :)

Reactions
Didn't mean to offend you. But that video created a lot of controversy.
No offense taken. I did search but obviously not well enough.