Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Rear end damage

ZRX61

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
I think thats exactly some shit Ford would do and call it good enough... $5 bolt vrs a $1300 subframe... Hate to say it but yeah, O.E.s are gonna do the bare minimum to keep themselves out of hot water. If they think a bolt will fix that their gonna try that first.
I guess it is a case of them just replacing the bolt, not the subframe. That ain't gonna fly...

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
and it's absolutely pointless asking anyone in the dealer service dept who are often unable to intelligently communicate with owners who know more about the vehicle than they do.
Dealer Service Departments go by what they see on their computer. Their hands are tied in most cases.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I think thats exactly some shit Ford would do and call it good enough... $5 bolt vrs a $1300 subframe... Hate to say it but yeah, O.E.s are gonna do the bare minimum to keep themselves out of hot water. If they think a bolt will fix that their gonna try that first.
I'm not an engineer, but if a hardened bolt is all it really needs then I'm ok with that. Otheriwse, Ford knows that not fixing the issue opens them up to laswsuits.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I'm not an engineer, but if a hardened bolt is all it really needs then I'm ok with that. Otheriwse, Ford knows that not fixing the issue opens them up to laswsuits.
Ford doesn't care about people. They simply do the math and determine how much their losses will be if things break versus the cost to fix every single one the expensive way. Human life has a value to all companies and I don't have a problem with that. They could make completely safe vehicles that nobody can afford and that would apply to all products. Unfortunately the remedy has a lot to do with a simple calculation. Now if the NTSB gets involved I'm pretty sure they could force Ford's hand.

Oh and look what arrived today.

Crossmember.JPG

I'm contemplating paying Ford to swap it in case there is a full recall and they will reimburse me. Haven't got a quote yet but if too unreasonable I will just do it myself.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Someone just posted this on Facebook group. I still find it hilarious that clearly we’re getting a bulshit fix and the cop explorers are getting the correct fix. Really can’t understand how that is acceptable. Now, glad it’s not a detune first and foremost. If it ever does break, even after warranty, I can’t see ford denying coverage since it’s a recalled item. But the recall pcm flash is just to prevent the car from moving in the case it breaks? It doesn’t actually prevent it from happening. I’m so confused and just annoyed.

Attachments

jmcneil

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Whats interesting is I just picked up my 2022 ST the week before the stop sale hit. When I put mine in park, it automatically engages the parking brake already. Figured this was the norm. When I back it out of my garage I have to hit the parking brake release to back it out smoothly, otherwise as I hit the accelerator it will release. Mine also shows a recall for this issue.

Reactions
Someone just posted this on Facebook group. I still find it hilarious that clearly we’re getting a bulshit fix and the cop explorers are getting the correct fix. Really can’t understand how that is acceptable. Now, glad it’s not a detune first and foremost. If it ever does break, even after warranty, I can’t see ford denying coverage since it’s a recalled item. But the recall pcm flash is just to prevent the car from moving in the case it breaks? It doesn’t actually prevent it from happening. I’m so confused and just annoyed.
There is already a TSB if you do have a break. They will replace the subframe and any damaged parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Someone just posted this on Facebook group ... Now, glad it’s not a detune first and foremost ...
So there we have it. No power reduction, just a pcm e-brake adjustment.

Not the best news, but by far, not the worst either.

Last edited:

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Part of the a cover for the torque limiting being applied in 1st gear. Kills two birds with one stone. I didn't hear enough pearl-clutching hysterics on these threads the past two years, so I guess someone should stir the pot!

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
A new bushing and a cover for the police units doesn't limit torque. The pot has now been calmed!

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Man it's almost like nobody is allowed to have their opinions. Nobody knows what is really going on and we all have our opinions on why or what if anything to do about it and I'm totally ok with that! I will do what I feel is in my best interest and others will do what they think is their best interest. And that's the way it should be period.

cmcwhorter42

Firefighter
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
My new ST arrived at the dealer from the factory on Friday(4/23), picked it up Saturday(4/24), installed FordPass on Sunday(yesterday). That was the moment I found out about the recall. Today I joined the forum and here we are. Wtf Ford? The recall date is 4/14/22 and I bought the car on the 4/23/22. By the way my parking brake doesn’t engage automatically when placed in park, so it doesn’t seem to have a software update that I’ve read about as a possible fix

db252

Reactions
Vehicle
22 ST
Same story as above except I took delivery a month prior. No auto e-brake for me either when placed in park.
Talked with my salesman who loves modifying his Fords so he understands what the issue is and I had him check. By no means am I saying this is ‘going’ to happen but after checking deeper he said through his service manager said they don’t know what the pcm change is but parts will be replaced later in the year. Just passing that along and I’m not counting on anything until it’s in writing.
I personally would like to have the auto e-brake in park and auto release in gear just as our 2021 Ram does.
Watching this thread and others intently.

Reactions
If they are concerned about replacing the sub frames why wouldn't they create their own diff mount like the aftermarket did?

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
My new ST arrived at the dealer from the factory on Friday(4/23), picked it up Saturday(4/24), installed FordPass on Sunday(yesterday). That was the moment I found out about the recall. Today I joined the forum and here we are. Wtf Ford? The recall date is 4/14/22 and I bought the car on the 4/23/22. By the way my parking brake doesn’t engage automatically when placed in park, so it doesn’t seem to have a software update that I’ve read about as a possible fix
Your dealer may have made a big mistake. The Safety notice issued 4/19 said no new Explorers were to be sold. I have seen any change to that so far.

cmcwhorter42

Firefighter
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Your dealer may have made a big mistake. The Safety notice issued 4/19 said no new Explorers were to be sold. I have seen any change to that so far.
I wasn’t told of any Safety notice.I had been waiting weeks on this thing to get here. If I had only joined this forum before Saturday. I’m going to call the dealer about the notice.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I wasn’t told of any Safety notice.I had been waiting weeks on this thing to get here. If I had only joined this forum before Saturday. I’m going to call the dealer about the notice.
Let us know what you find out.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
If they are concerned about replacing the sub frames why wouldn't they create their own diff mount like the aftermarket did?
That’s my thought. Seems like a reasonable and cost effective “fix”.

Reactions
Whats interesting is I just picked up my 2022 ST the week before the stop sale hit. When I put mine in park, it automatically engages the parking brake already. Figured this was the norm. When I back it out of my garage I have to hit the parking brake release to back it out smoothly, otherwise as I hit the accelerator it will release. Mine also shows a recall for this issue.
I picked up my 2022 in March. I always engage the E brake before putting it in park. Next time I drive it I will see if it automatically engages the E brake.