Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Racing Brake is in the game.

Sch0227

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
So.. I must’ve drank too much the last time I test fit these with the stock wheels. I bought a set of four 3mm spacers and put them on one at a time until they cleared the calipers. It took all four. Looks like I’ll be picking up the 1” spacers everyone is running to finally get these hot rods mounted up.

BDDBF93C-CF09-4980-AEC7-D452E942EBE6.jpeg 5F62A0E2-0404-4E73-8686-7703F117122C.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions
Out of curiosity, is the WK1 4 piston swap possible, as these could be had even cheaper? I'm guessing they'd also be an upgrade to the stock floating piston setup.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Reactions
Also, the mustang brembo 6 pot bolt location looks similar to the WK2's..wonder if the retrofit kit would work there also.

OP
UNBROKEN

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #104
Also, the mustang brembo 6 pot bolt location looks similar to the WK2's..wonder if the retrofit kit would work there also.

The SRT caliper crosses over to several other cars but not the Mustang. No need to reinvent what Racing Brake has already done...it already works. A3AA1432-592F-4E06-BCDD-AC99350A123D.jpeg

Reactions
Out of curiosity, is the WK1 4 piston swap possible, as these could be had even cheaper? I'm guessing they'd also be an upgrade to the stock floating piston setup.

Not possible in several ways, mounting spread, offset, and mounting height etc. The WK2 was spotted through the scanning of our database (some 280 OE calipers), and confirm by final fitment test.

We do offer a highly efficient and affordable 4 pot heavy duty caliper kit. This caliper was a popular upgrade for VW MK5/6 R32 track racers, it's brake pads are the same as WK1, even the rotor size (360x32mm), although rotors are 20mm smaller than WK2 kit but it still can cut down your OE calipers wt by about 50%, easy pad replacement, fixed vs. floating pistons etc. not only can improve the performance but the visual appearance behind the big wheels.

You can even opt the rotors out from the kit and replace just the calipers, as our 2 pc rotors in the kit are 100% interchangeable with OE rotors - A very flexible and sensible "progressive" upgrade that was very welcome by VW community.

https://racingbrake.com/2664-K

Last edited:
OP
UNBROKEN

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #106
Full disclosure…I walk to the garage at least once a day to take a look…and pics. lol
Gonna order the 380mm rear rotors next week. The rear wheels need a little more meat in them. 9FBBC687-F7EE-416A-BCD6-803187CF169F.jpeg

OP
UNBROKEN

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #107
380mm rear rotors are ordered. 1820B484-09BF-427C-A008-D5641EFD1565.jpeg

Reactions
We are still about 3-4 wks away from shipping the rear BBK.

This leadtime is required for making the SS brake line kit available, and the final production (casting, machining, surface coating) for the extended brackets.

We apologize for the delay and appreciate your understanding and patience.

p.s.: The brake pads for stock calipers are now in stock for prompt shipping. XT910 compound was voted by Jeep community as the best true high performance brake pads for SRT8 from WK1 to Trackhawk - Very low dust, no squeaking, excellent modulation, highly durable and never fade on you.

OP
UNBROKEN

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #109
That begs the question…can we talk about front brake lines as well? lol
And…is a bracket possible to move the WK2 Brembo out to cram a 406mm rotor under the front or would the radius be too far off to accommodate the caliper?

OP
UNBROKEN

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #110
For anyone wondering if this is a quality kit…I just finished an 11 state, 5700 mile road trip playing on some of the best mountain roads the country has to offer and had exactly 0 issues…everything still looks perfect and had plenty of stopping power even on the gnarliest of roads. My wife didn’t have nearly as much fun as I did. lol

Reactions
That begs the question…can we talk about front brake lines as well? lol
And…is a bracket possible to move the WK2 Brembo out to cram a 406mm rotor under the front or would the radius be too far off to accommodate the caliper?
We know the same WK2/Trackhawk caliper (with longer mounting legs) can fit 400mm dia. rotor but not sure about 406mm until some fitment test is done. Even the caliper curvature can accommodate 400/406mm rotor you still wouldn't be able to re-use your WK2 calipers due to those are side (axile) mount calipers and the mounting legs are "casted", thus the mounting height is "fixed" and can't be altered like the top (radial) mount calipers by adding spacers to raise the height.

Reactions
We are still about 3-4 wks away from shipping the rear BBK.

This leadtime is required for making the SS brake line kit available, and the final production (casting, machining, surface coating) for the extended brackets.

We apologize for the delay and appreciate your understanding and patience.

p.s.: The brake pads for stock calipers are now in stock for prompt shipping. XT910 compound was voted by Jeep community as the best true high performance brake pads for SRT8 from WK1 to Trackhawk - Very low dust, no squeaking, excellent modulation, highly durable and never fade on you.
Dumb questions- So the link you sent for the brake pads for stock calipers, those pads are upgraded pads over our stock pads right? Brake pads come in sets right so I just need to buy 1 for the front and one for the back? I have the sport package so I'm assuming that's all I need to get in order to upgrade the pads and use existing system? Thanks

Reactions
I think it's a good question that you asked on behalf the members who are not familiar (or DIY) in "dealing" with their brake components.

1. Our pads are made to fit under OE calipers just like OE pads, but more essentially, is the compound (The ingredients how the pads are molded together). RB pads are formulated to enhance the brake performance for easy modulation, no squeaks, and very low dusts. More importantly is they are made with a higher temperature threshold than standard street pads so they do not fade under continuous heavy braking which can be more applicable to a heavy SUV (plus towing) with lots of horsepower like Explorer/ST (Same as our pad offer for SRT8/Trackhawks). So RB pads not allow you to have a better control on your ST but always give you a peace of mind regardless where you are and how you drive your ST.

2. Yes one axle set contains 4 piece of pads; 2 for left side and 2 for right side. So if you need the car set you would have to order front and rear axle set.

3. For most ST owners that's all you need. Although this could be your 1st experience in installing some component from "aftermarket" outside OEM, but DIY installation is not that hard, and after replacement we are certain you would be glad* what you did.

* Unconditional guarantee to your 100% satisfaction or your money back.

OP
UNBROKEN

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #115
Woo Hoo…just got tracking info for the 380mm rears.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Pretty as it is, there appears to be a good portion of that rotor that will go unused.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Pretty as it is, there appears to be a good portion of that rotor that will go unused.
More importantly look at the weight and the offset. A nice setup for those looking for the upgrade.

OP
UNBROKEN

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #119
Look what just showed up.
380mm rear rotors, caliper brackets, pads and…FRONT AND REAR BRAIDED STAINLESS LINES!!!! 4F818A2E-3938-4E36-B181-075CDC200580.jpeg 67F2CFD0-7E87-48AB-B24A-58C9953F849D.jpeg

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
So, does this mean they are now supplying braided lines which also have the right "tangs" in place for the calipers? Also, for the rear, are these replacement calipers, or just brackets that relocate the existing calipers to fit the bigger rotors?