Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Racing Brake is in the game.

OP
UNBROKEN

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #81
Now the thing I see will possibly be an issue with oem wheels...these calipers are huge. I have aftermarket forged wheels that are cut for a big brake kit and I have about 3/16” clearance on the inside of the spokes. It’s close and I just don’t know how the oem 21’s are cut since I don’t have them anymore. Someone will have to verify fitment with those wheels. BDDB11CC-9C62-4E7A-8958-973EA7F53624.jpeg FD1BFF36-892F-4963-8B54-9E5783EF917A.jpeg CF5B8757-9FC4-4DCD-98BC-42A667751FE4.jpeg

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I sure do wish you still had the stock 21"s available to check fitment. Of all the mods I've seen this is the one I'm most interested in, but am not really looking to swap wheels.
What did you do about the brake lines? Did you machine the caliper as suggested by RB? I ask because the lines are meant to have something absorb the line flex due to suspension travel. Now it's all supported by the banjo fitting. Any concerns?
Thanks for an excellent write-up.

Reactions
What did you do about the brake lines? Did you machine the caliper as suggested by RB? I ask because the lines are meant to have something absorb the line flex due to suspension travel. Now it's all supported by the banjo fitting. Any concerns?
I'm not an engineer, but I have worked on a lot of brakes on a decent variety of vehicles. USUALLY the flat on a caliper is to keep the brake line from turning from the orientation the manufacturer wants them to route when tightening the banjo bolt...or to simply ensure they are routing the correct way. I would GUESS thats the same reason the OE line has the little bent piece on it. The hole it goes into LOOKS like its bigger than the piece on the brake line so its likely not a tight fit that would provide any kind of meaningful support, but im only basing this on the pictures in this thread.

a lot of brakes I have worked on have no such provisions in any way.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I'm not an engineer, but I have worked on a lot of brakes on a decent variety of vehicles. USUALLY the flat on a caliper is to keep the brake line from turning from the orientation the manufacturer wants them to route when tightening the banjo bolt...or to simply ensure they are routing the correct way. I would GUESS thats the same reason the OE line has the little bent piece on it. The hole it goes into LOOKS like its bigger than the piece on the brake line so its likely not a tight fit that would provide any kind of meaningful support, but im only basing this on the pictures in this thread.
a lot of brakes I have worked on have no such provisions in any way.
I only bring it up due to the orientation of the banjo fitting. You're right, I've also seen other brakes without it, but the orientation of those doesn't lead to suspension travel causing brake line flex that is axial to the banjo fitting- possibly resulting in movement that might cause the fitting to potentially work free. It might not be a real concern, but we're talking about brakes so extra caution on my part.

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Beauty ! For sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
We just had an Explorer ST owner visited our shop asking for various upgrades for his base models. In response the offer matrix is updated to a more user friendly guide for Explorer owners whether you have a base or performance (Street or Track) models, you can easily find the options you need.

Note - Wheels sizes are listed as a general guideline, actual requirement may vary depending on its profile (OE or aftermarket)

Kryuenger

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
We just had an Explorer ST owner visited our shop asking for various upgrades for his base models. In response the offer matrix is updated to a more user friendly guide for Explorer owners whether you have a base or performance (Street or Track) models, you can easily find the options you need.

Note - Wheels sizes are listed as a general guideline, actual requirement may vary depending on its profile (OE or aftermarket)
Thank you Warren! It was a huge help.

Sch0227

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I'm still waiting on brake pad clips for mine, but can bolt a caliper on this weekend probably.. to verify the stock 21" wheel fits with the 6 piston calipers.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Ok, looking at the RB chart, I guess I'm now a bit confused. Unbroken is using the WK2, so this is the 380x34 setup, right? How about you Sch0227? For some reason I thought the WK2 was the TrackHawk version at 400x34. Guys?

Reactions
Following shall answer to those who have concern on swapping the calipers from OE to WK2.

A retrofit kit is you got what you got, as the primary concern is fitment, if it fits most likely the replaced caliper would work, may not be the best, but would be just fine.
If you want to know the WK2 caliper pistons it was listed here in our caliper rebuild section.

WK2 (6 pot): 40/40/40mm, total area=75.4 cm^2
ST (Dual pot): 48/48mm. total area=72.38 cm^2

Not identical but close enough.

These modifications are very minor and once the locating pin is removed you will find the caliper (WK2) installation is actually easier than OE caliper as it's now more flexible than OE in posistioning.

Let's know if you have any other concerns or questions.

Members are advised that RB is a legitimated brake company and is not someone just trying to promote a product with just a screen name that you might know. Every kit/components are certified to be equal or better than OE or they will not be shipped.

Feel free to browse some of the high profile car communities, or GT350/GT500 in competition racing wthin Ford and learn more about us.

Reactions
Ok, looking at the RB chart, I guess I'm now a bit confused. Unbroken is using the WK2, so this is the 380x34 setup, right? How about you Sch0227? For some reason I thought the WK2 was the TrackHawk version at 400x34. Guys?
Trackhwak is a sub-model of WK2 - Released in 2018 considered to be a super HP (707 HP) SUV above original WK2 which is still in existence.
Trackhawk has a larger rotor (400x34mm vs. original WK2 with 380x34mm), same size of caliper pistons & body as WK2 except has longer mounting legs for the larger rotor.

Both Steve and Rich decided to go with WK2 caliper kit with 380mm rotors, we do have an order for a RB 6 pot caliper brake kit (400x34mm rotors) but since he also ordered the rear OE caliper BBK so the order is not yet shipped until the extended bracket is available in about 4 weeks or so.

Hope above helps to clear things up.

OP
UNBROKEN

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #93
Made my drive home with a little bed in time...stops like a dream. No 60-0 testing yet...hopefully this weekend if this rain will stay away. The only hiccup with my whole install was my own damn car. It went into EPB Service Mode just like it’s supposed to but using the Ford procedure it would NOT come out if it. Took 2 hours of phone calls and Google scouring until I finally ran across this on some obscure website. It adds a brake pedal push to the normal procedure and it came out is Service Mode on the first shot. I tried the normal way at least 50 times...it just wouldn’t work. So keep this in mind if you run across the same thing.
C23F7383-37DA-4983-951B-F7B04D9D3A7C.jpeg

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Trackhwak is a sub-model of WK2 - Released in 2018 considered to be a super HP (707 HP) SUV above original WK2 which is still in existence.
Trackhawk has a larger rotor (400x34mm vs. original WK2 with 380x34mm), same size of caliper pistons & body as WK2 except has longer mounting legs for the larger rotor.

Both Steve and Rich decided to go with WK2 caliper kit with 380mm rotors, we do have an order for a RB 6 pot caliper brake kit (400x34mm rotors) but since he also ordered the rear OE caliper BBK so the order is not yet shipped until the extended bracket is available in about 4 weeks or so.

Hope above helps to clear things up.
Thanks, that is what I wanted to know.

OP
UNBROKEN

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #95
And a couple of filthy car finished pics. 7C0140A0-C901-425B-8D4B-6245F6E69B21.jpeg 37D2010B-3EA9-47EA-A5A3-9900DE016C21.jpeg

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Made my drive home with a little bed in time...stops like a dream. No 60-0 testing yet...hopefully this weekend if this rain will stay away. The only hiccup with my whole install was my own damn car. It went into EPB Service Mode just like it’s supposed to but using the Ford procedure it would NOT come out if it. Took 2 hours of phone calls and Google scouring until I finally ran across this on some obscure website. It adds a brake pedal push to the normal procedure and it came out is Service Mode on the first shot. I tried the normal way at least 50 times...it just wouldn’t work. So keep this in mind if you run across the same thing.
View attachment 5778
And that ladies and gentlemen is why Unbroken gets respect on this site. And why I wait for the pioneers to do this stuff before I attempt it!

Reactions
Thank you Warren! It was a huge help.
We are glad to have your visit so you can witness how those Explorer brakes were developed, and as I said we consider this brake development as our contribution to the community not just for enthusiasts but also for mom's chauffeuring children, running chaos; and for those police/security officers in duties performing their jobs etc. so all have an effective control of their Explorers at any situation.

Best to all.

OP
UNBROKEN

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #98
Another hint I forgot to mention. When removing the barb on the oem hose I just zipped it off with a cut off wheel...but I did it before I loosened the banjo bolt. That way it’s held solidly and you won’t be throwing sparks at flammable liquid. lol
And for the “machining” on the caliper...I didn’t have the guts to chuck it up in my Bridgeport...didn’t want any scratches. An 80 grit flapper wheel on a 4” grinder made short work of it though. Just leave the rubber plug in the bolt hole so no debris gets in there and wipe the caliper down good to get all the aluminum dust off before installing.

Sch0227

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
So... it looks like about a millimeter or two need to be shaved off the caliper to work with the stock wheels. I will most likely pick up a thin spacer.

Attachments

Reactions
Good news.
Just received the rear caliper brackets both stock size (for base model upgrade to sports), and +1 for 380mm BBK.

Waiting for rear spindle receipt (next week) so to perform fitment test for production & shipment release.

This rear OE caliper BBK are designed and made to retain stock parking brake with an easy bolt on installation. Oversize rotors can also improve the performance, durability, and the look.