Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

PSA for those with Aftermarket Exhaust

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Can you post a picture of where you drilled the holes? It might help other members if you would, thanks.
Covered in post #7.
It’s not rocket science…small hole in the lowest point is all you need.

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
'23 ExST, '17 Raptor, '16 FoST, FFR Cobra
did anyone ask Thermal about this? maybe there are weep holes but on the wrong side? e.g. mufflers upside down?

at least everyone knows their catalytic converters are working properly - making muffler juice :)

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
also, as some mentioned - a weep hole will most likely deposit 'crud' on your garage floor or driveway... most likely will stain, so take that into account - when you drive away, your neighbors will think you have a hooptie dripping some type of crud

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
also, as some mentioned - a weep hole will most likely deposit 'crud' on your garage floor or driveway... most likely will stain, so take that into account - when you drive away, your neighbors will think you have a hooptie dripping some type of crud
As opposed to every joint in the oem exhaust leaking condensation?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
did anyone ask Thermal about this? maybe there are weep holes but on the wrong side? e.g. mufflers upside down?

at least everyone knows their catalytic converters are working properly - making muffler juice :)
Aftermarket mufflers don’t have weep holes.

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Aftermarket mufflers don’t have weep holes.
different quality metal as well - some aftermarket vendors do have a weep hole...

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
different quality metal as well - some aftermarket vendors do have a weep hole...
I ran a performance shop and have had my hands on literally thousands of aftermarket mufflers and cat-back systems. Never once seen one with a weep hole in it…and certainly not on the “wrong side” from a manufacturer. I’m sure there’s an outlier out there somewhere…but it’s rare enough to say it virtually never happens.

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
I assume it's possible to do this with the mufflers still on the vehicle?

And I'll ask again - any noticeable change in volume due to getting the water out?

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I assume it's possible to do this with the mufflers still on the vehicle?

And I'll ask again - any noticeable change in volume due to getting the water out?
Preferable to do it on vehicle so you can hit the low spot. I never ram it without the holes so I can’t say if it is louder but doubt you could tell the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Was there a noticeable change in volume after draining the water?

I have thermal and DPs and swear the turbo whistle at idle isn't at loud as what I've heard in videos online from others with the same setup... this has me wondering if I have water in my rear mufflers.
Hmm, I haven’t actually driven it yet since the change, but my wife has taken it for a few spins. She said it seemed like the ST had a few less pops and crackles. She could just be imagining that though as it seems hard to believe ~8 ounces of water in each muffler would really change the tone that much from inside the truck.

Reactions
Mods: please delete this if I’m breaking any rules by cross-posting to another forum, but at least it’s not ST-related and hopefully helps.

Anyway, Borla covered adding weep holes to Mustang exhausts here. Nothing really new from what we’ve already discussed here, but I thought it could be helpful for people to see that aftermarket exhaust manufacturers also condone/support adding weep holes.

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
Hmm, I haven’t actually driven it yet since the change, but my wife has taken it for a few spins. She said it seemed like the ST had a few less pops and crackles. She could just be imagining that though as it seems hard to believe ~8 ounces of water in each muffler would really change the tone that much from inside the truck.
Dang OK, I figured as much