Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Phone Call Echo

Z06

Reactions
I have taken to a dealer and they are in process of working with Ford tech line, they are thinking Microphone or EPIM replacement which I think is the Sync3 computer. I have found this echo for the caller (opposite end of us in the explorer) will temporary go away simply by selecting the "Privacy" button on the sync 3 display twice, thereby switching to the phone and back to sync3, lasts for about 10 min and you need to do again. I also found that using Apple CarPlay thru the usb connection the echo issue does not occur because CarPlay uses the Apple lighting cable for all communicatons to sync3. However Android Auto the echo issue still occurs as Android Auto uses the usb cable only for video, audio still uses bluetooth. I agree turning the volume down lessens the echo but it does not go away.

What's interesting is from what I heard 3rd party, is the Ford tech line had not heard of this issue before. However all of you, as well as my wifes company new Ford transit van this echo problem occurs. I have also experienced this echo while talking to a friend from my home land line and he was in his 2015 Ford F350 however we talked for about 20 minutes before I got an echo on the land line of my own voice. I have also heard 3rd party of a 2020 F150 with same issue and dealer replaced the EPIM to resolve.

I have to call back the dealer to set up an appointment.

I'll keep you posted here in this thread.

Last edited:

Z06

Reactions
We have also noticed, sometimes this echo problem for the person on the other end of the phone call occurs within a couple minutes, other times takes up to 15 minutes. Occurs with my wifes android and my new iphone 12 when connected to bluetooth. We have also noticed since my first post that this echo also occurs for callers on a land line.

Appointment at Ford dealer set for Wednesday January 3rd, I'm told they need to read the EPIM code in order to order new EPIM from Ford.

Last edited:

Z06

Reactions
Ford has ordered a new mic and EPIM computer (Sync3 computer). Waiting for call from dealer to setup install appointment. At this time, it seems to be EPIM since the mic is used with bluetooth and Apple CarPlay and issue still does not occur with Apple CarPlay. Ford tech support wanted dealer to also have the mic at time of install just in case. FYI, EPIM has a code on it that must be read at the dealership before ordering new.

tma1121

Reactions
Ford has ordered a new mic and EPIM computer (Sync3 computer). Waiting for call from dealer to setup install appointment. At this time, it seems to be EPIM since the mic is used with bluetooth and Apple CarPlay and issue still does not occur with Apple CarPlay. Ford tech support wanted dealer to also have the mic at time of install just in case. FYI, EPIM has a code on it that must be read at the dealership before ordering new.
Can I ask what dealership and where your located?

Z06

Reactions
Can I ask what dealership and where your located?
We are in St. Clair Michigan, taking to dealer (Bill MacDonald Ford) tomorrow for new EPIM. Really hoping this resolves this Echo problem.

Reactions
I called my Ford dealer here in NJ he also says never heard of it. I purchased last December one 2021 St and one 2021 Platinum they both have the same issue
I plan to take it in
Just make no sense to hang up and redial in 2021 vehicle like these. "Common Ford"

Reactions
I have been connecting to Android Auto via the USB-C port and it seems to do the trick as a work around, until Ford gets it sorted out.

TriSum

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
I have been connecting to Android Auto via the USB-C port and it seems to do the trick as a work around, until Ford gets it sorted out.
Not on mine. Doesn't matter how I connect, it still happens.

Z06

Reactions
Work Around, when caller on other end gets the echo, simply press "Privacy" twice on your sync display to move to phone then back to Sync and echo goes away but will eventually return, repeat process...

Last edited:

Z06

Reactions
Update, Ford dealer yesterday replaced both the Explorer Sync3 "EPIM & Microphone" per Ford tech support and issue did Not change. To my knowledge that was the entire system with no change. They continued to diagnose with Ford engineers trying various conditions. Something is triggering the Sync3 system to also activate the cell phone mic therefore picking up the audio from the cars spreakers, that is why adjusting the volume, tape over phone mic, hidding the cell phone, etc reduces the echo. Also that is why my above stated work around removes the echo as it is reconnecting the cell phone to Sync3. Ford engineers have duplicated the echo and are currently working on a solution that sounds like will involve the Sync3 microphone. This echo condition and occurances is documented and available to Ford dealers within their Tech support line. Now waiting on Ford's solution. My dealer also found that placing their cell phone in the storage pocket on the backside of front seat back seemed to isolate the phone the best thereby minimizing the echo. This issue does not appear to involve all Sync3 systems, I had a loaner 2021 Escape for 2 days and No echo occured for the call recipient.

Z06

Reactions
The echo problem will also occur with Android Auto connected via USB cable as the Android Auto app uses Bluetooth for all audio communications and uses the cable only for video. This info is from Google android auto tech support pages.

Apple Car play with Apple lightning cable uses the cable for both audio and video, therefore this echo issue will not occur with Apple Car play.

Last edited:

hbalek

Reactions
The echo problem will occur with Android Auto connected via USB cable as the Android Auto app uses Bluetooth for all audio communications and uses the cable only for video. This info is from Google android auto tech support pages.

Apple Car play with Apple lightning cable uses the cable for both audio and video, therefore this echo issue will not occur with Apple Car play.
I never use Android Auto and i get the echo from time to time. I'm on the lastest software update and it seems to happen less now if at all.

Dad_Mobile

Active Duty U.S. Army
Reactions
This happens a few minutes into every call I make with my IPhone. It’s good to hear Ford has acknowledged the issue and is working on a fix! 2021 ST

tma1121

Reactions
We are in St. Clair Michigan, taking to dealer (Bill MacDonald Ford) tomorrow for new EPIM. Really hoping this resolves this Echo problem.
Let me know if you get any results if you would please, thank you

Reactions
At first my mom was the only one that complained about an echo when I was on a call with her but now multiple people have (thought it was my mom's provider AT&T just sucking). I hope that Ford can get a fix for this since it wasn't an issue on the 2019 Edge ST I had previously (one of the few things that wasn't a problem on that car)!

Z06

Reactions
Update, all Ford dealerships service advisors should be able to refer to this Echo Problem in the dealer OASIS tracking system.

Case #: CAS-28911596-V6L1C7.

This case has been escalated with Ford Engineers/Technicians, however as I was advised, the more complaints and occurrences against this Echo problem and Case # above the quicker it will be resolved. If your experiencing this issue you can report thru the Ford Customer Service number: 1 (800) 392-3673 and provide case #: CAS-28911596-V6L1C7

BradST

Reactions
Saw a video where ringtone settings corrected an audio phone bug. It was adjusted off Rington 1 to Use Phone Ringtone and the bug was fixed. So far I have not had the echo...will update as needed

momsST

Reactions
Not on mine. Doesn't matter how I connect, it still happens.
Same here. Nearly every phone call with an iPhone 11 connected via bluetooth. Dealer says they can't replicate it.