Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Name ONE ST Feature others might not know.....

Dad_Mobile

Active Duty U.S. Army
Reactions
My 21' ST came with a free 5 year Sirius/XM trial! I'm not sure if this was an accident or they all come with it but I'll take it!

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
My 21' ST came with a free 5 year Sirius/XM trial! I'm not sure if this was an accident or they all come with it but I'll take it!
Five years? That's extremely hard to believe.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
First I’ve heard of anything like that. Is it something that was Dealer sponsored?

Reactions
It's 3 months of music and everything, but it's a 5 year "trial" of the traffic data. I had the same thing on my 2019 Edge ST before the Explorer.

Dad_Mobile

Active Duty U.S. Army
Reactions
Sirius XM called me yesterday about another vehicle I have. I asked them when the ST's trial is up and they told me April 2026 lol. Maybe it was a new guy on the phone.

Reactions
Sirius XM called me yesterday about another vehicle I have. I asked them when the ST's trial is up and they told me April 2026 lol. Maybe it was a new guy on the phone.
you should be able to check your account online and see it

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
As a new ST owner, I have found this to be an incredibly helpful discussion.

Thank you to all the contributors.

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #229
This is a long thread, so please ignore if this has been mentioned before.

When the adaptive/intelligent cruise control is ON, the ST changes the setpoint speed of the vehicle as the SPEED LIMIT changes. Every once and awhile I'll see my vehicle gaining speed quickly. Only to realize the dashboard read the SPEED LIMIT as 85 mph in a 45 mph zone! With my 9 mph over setpoint, my ST was hauling.

Keep an eye on the regular stretches of road where this seems to keep happening.

hbalek

Reactions
This is a long thread, so please ignore if this has been mentioned before.

When the adaptive/intelligent cruise control is ON, the ST changes the setpoint speed of the vehicle as the SPEED LIMIT changes. Every once and awhile I'll see my vehicle gaining speed quickly. Only to realize the dashboard read the SPEED LIMIT as 85 mph in a 45 mph zone! With my 9 mph over setpoint, my ST was hauling.

Keep an eye on the regular stretches of road where this seems to keep happening.
Mine does this once in a while on MD 185 because I assume the camera reads the sign as speed limit 85 then corrects in a few seconds after I have hit the brakes! I took a photo on one occasion when this occurred.

Attachments

CapTom

U.S. Army Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I've noticed that it will memorize the speed limits om roads that are traveled frequently. Pulling out onto one local road it starts showing the limit as 55 well before we pass an actual sign. It does this on several road we travel often.

Reactions
I've noticed that it will memorize the speed limits om roads that are traveled frequently. Pulling out onto one local road it starts showing the limit as 55 well before we pass an actual sign. It does this on several road we travel often.
I remember reading that the car will also get speed info from the navigation system as well.

LokiWolf

Reactions
I remember reading that the car will also get speed info from the navigation system as well.
That is correct. The Navi database includes speed limits.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

hbalek

Reactions
The Navi and camera work together and even between the 2 there are mistakes! LOL They eventually correct each other. The worst is the camera picks up on a service road speed limit sometimes and the "Intelligent" cruise slams on the brakes! My 2013 MKZ got speed limit from Navigation and not sign recognition.

Reactions
I have all the intelligent stuff turned off. My daily driver pickup doesn't have it so why do I need it in the car. Wife doesn't care for it either. First couple times driving the ST we were always sloshing back and forth due to the lane assist trying to keep me centered when I tend to drive just a tad right of center. I don't need the cruise control messing with my speed, out West the interstates are posted at 80 or everyone is rolling 80 plus anyway.

Reactions
Something that took me a few weeks to notice. Where your seatbelt ties into above your should is adjustable. (On the pillar). Not an explorer only item, but forgot to adjust higher. Once I did, so much more comfortable.

Reactions
Mine used to do this on sunny days in the same location and all I could see were shadows from trees on the pavement. Also sometimes the reverse brake assist will think there's an obstacle when it actually pavement markers. Even funnier the speed sign recognition confuses a route 185 sign for speed limit 85 and starts accelerating when using intelligent cruise control! The actual speed limit is 35! When left on its own, it will adjust itself to the correct speed within a few hundred feet but it is scary if you're not paying attention.
My ST reads church signs, county road, adopt a highway, county park, weight restriction and anything else it can pick up. This is a huge known issue with Ford that they can't figure out. I had an engineer from Ford work on my vehicle for two days and they don't have a fix. If anyone else is experiencing this PLEASE bring it in, this is completely unacceptable and dangerous. Waiting for Ford buy back or lemon law because of this issue.

Reactions
Hi,

I think there are issues with a lot of automated systems. I would suggest that you turn off the intelligent cruise control and just use the adaptive cruise control instead.

Good luck and safe travels,

Ron

Reactions
My ST reads church signs, county road, adopt a highway, county park, weight restriction and anything else it can pick up. This is a huge known issue with Ford that they can't figure out. I had an engineer from Ford work on my vehicle for two days and they don't have a fix. If anyone else is experiencing this PLEASE bring it in, this is completely unacceptable and dangerous. Waiting for Ford buy back or lemon law because of this issue.
First and foremost this is my opinion and if you don't agree, cool, no worries. Second, Oldschoolshaggy this isn't aimed at you and hope you don't see it that way.

<Rant>
I've seen several posts lately (not only on this forum) from people wanting to start a buy back or taking legal action for a "nice to have" feature not working right (first world problems). The speed sign recognition, intelligent cruise control (used the speed signs), and even BLIS all fall into this category. Cars of the past didn't have anything like this and we still drove them. Does it suck when something like this doesn't function as it should, Yes. But at the same time the vehicle still runs, drives, gets you safely from point to point with them turned off. Personally, I don't use the intelligent cruise and have it adjust my speed based on the posted signs. I’ve also seen where it’s read a sign wrong and I chuckle. I think it's great that it updates in work zones and displays that on the gauge cluster, but I'm perfectly capable to read the sign myself and set my cruise speed. Same with BLIS, it's on and working, but I still turn my head to make sure there is nothing there. I see far too often way too many people change lanes without ever looking back, only relying on some system. I'm not a motorcycle rider, but still don't trust the system to correctly notify me one is in my blind spot. Technology is great, but it can and will fail. These systems are aids, not something to rely on.

I'm not saying a manufacture shouldn't fix a problem, just that people should be reasonable and accommodating when trying to repair it (totally different if the Mfg does NOT want, or refuses, to repair it). I've seen posts saying "My vehicle was in the shop for a day and they couldn't fix it, time for a buy back"... come on now!

I bought the ST because I wanted to drive the vehicle, not to have the vehicle drive me. If you want a vehicle to drive you around, wait for autonomous cars (don't think I'd ever trust one of those either lol).
</Rant>

Reactions
Hi,

I think there are issues with a lot of automated systems. I would suggest that you turn off the intelligent cruise control and just use the adaptive cruise control instead.

Good luck and safe travels,

Ron
I'm an on the road salesmen and live in my ST, 55,000 miles a year.. When a company sells you feature, advertises as such and it's part of a $1000 option is it wrong to want that item you spent money on to work? This is just one problem to my six months long debacle.