Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Name ONE ST Feature others might not know.....

Kirk ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
you know that annoying phone echo? Well, I get that a lot and I would always end up hitting privacy to take the call and the radio would come blaring back on. I just found a setting (I think it's in the phone settings) that when you push privacy, the radio will mute. still hate that I have to grab the phone, but it's nice to not have the radio come back on when I hit privacy.

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #262
you know that annoying phone echo? Well, I get that a lot and I would always end up hitting privacy to take the call and the radio would come blaring back on. I just found a setting (I think it's in the phone settings) that when you push privacy, the radio will mute. still hate that I have to grab the phone, but it's nice to not have the radio come back on when I hit privacy.
Try downloading the latest Sync 3.4 update, I'm hearing people are getting this resolved. I'm still testing it myself.

Reactions
My 2018 Audi Q7 had similar quirks with the intelligent cruise. We were traveling one time on a 4 lane highway at ~55mph and we came up on a non active school zone at night. The Audi automatically jammed the brakes so hard trying to get to the posted 25mph limit it scared the sh!t out of us. I’m glad no one was driving behind us lol

I haven’t had enough seat time with the ST yet. We got it a couple weeks ago.

CH46E

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Is there a way to make this RWD only for fun? Does the ST have a funnel somewhere for the stupid gas tank? NEVERMIND> I found the funnel.

Last edited:

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
You could always remove the front driveshaft! I wonder how many codes it would throw? Seriously, the multi-plate clutches are controlled by the ECU, so perhaps ZFG might be able to disable it in one of the drive modes. Your ECO mode could actually be drift mode!

Last edited:

CH46E

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
You could always remove the front driveshaft! I wonder how many codes it would throw? Seriously, the multi-plate clutches are controlled by the ECU, so perhaps ZFG might be able to disable it in one of the drive modes. Your ECO mode could actually be drift mode!
I was thinking Slippery mode for 2
RWD. Hahaha. I'd pay for that tune.

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #267
This is trivial, I know! So please only read on if you're bored.

This is one of the mistakes by the engineers. Turning on the massage seats (which my wife and I love) while connected to Android Auto should return to the original screen after the massage seat settings screen goes away. Let me explain...

I typically run Waze via the Android Auto app. What I like is that Waze starts up automatically when I plug the phone into the USB-C cord. What I don't enjoy is when I press the center of the plus button on the side of my driver's seat, the massage screen takes over the entire center console. When you back out of massage screen or let it time out, Waze showed up minimized. Making you have to open it back up. Frustrating and trivial, I know.

But I found a trick. When in reverse (backing out of the garage), my wife and I can turn on the massage seats without Waze minimizing or the massage screen showing up. The reverse camera seems to cancel out the problem.

It doesn't work when your wife wants to change her massage settings while driving though. :rolleyes:

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Didn't know the letters ST were projected from the side mirrors on the ground outside when it's dark and unlocking or opening doors.
My mustang has that too, but instead of the ST letters it has running horse image, just like on the grill.

20170222_001316.jpg

It did not come in light blue, they come in plain white, but you can buy overlays that change the color to what you want.

hbalek

Reactions
My mustang has that too, but instead of the ST letters it has running horse image, just like on the grill.

View attachment 10208

It did not come in light blue, they come in plain white, but you can buy overlays that change the color to what you want.
Mustang had that feature (also ambient lighting inside) for almost a decade before any other Ford or Lincoln. I had a 2013 MKZ which didn't have that sadly and instead had ugly halogen puddle lamps when the entire vehicle inside and out had LEDs. They added that feature around 2014-15 to all Lincolns. As far as I know only the Ford STs and Mustangs have them. I was definitely pleasantly surprised that the 2020 ST had them since I was cross-shopping Lincolns before I fell in love with the Explorer ST. Nowadays most premium brands and even MINI offer these.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
What's weird is my explorer ST has them, but my wifes edge ST does not. Also, not all mustangs get it, you have to get the premium model and upgrade to the 401A package to get it.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
After reading thru the entire thread, I didn't see anyone else mention this, so here goes. After you set the seat and mirror memory, you can assign the seat/mirror setting to an individual key fob. Then when you approach the vehicle and touch the door handle it will set the seat/mirrors to your memory position automatically, and when the wife or whomever you give the second fob too approaches, it will go to their memory position. My wifes edge also does this and I had a 13 F150 that did it too.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
On the numeric keypad on the door pillar, there is a factory code that is hard coded into the system that can never be changed, but you can add your own 5 digit code. The extra code is not hard coded and can be changed at anytime. Also if you use the keypad to get into the car because you left the fob in the house or wherever, you can lock it back up thru the keypad also. Press the 7/8 and 9/0 buttons at the same time and it will lock all doors.

BTW this is not an explorer only feature, it works on any ford or lincoln that has a keypad and not just the factory installed ones, the stick on keypad available thru ford accessories does it too. This has been a standard feature of the keypad ever since ford started using them.

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #273
It must have come down in an update but the tolerance for Intelligent Cruise Control has increased to 20mph (max) from 9mph (max).

Reactions
Sorry if this was covered before but I found two great features on my 21 ST.

If AC is on MAX air, incoming or outgoing call...the AC turns down to accommodate the extra noise. Returns upon call end.
Cooled seats on full send, turn the AC to MAX and they increase in velocity.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Carbonized Gray
This may be more of a SAFETY feature, but when driving about 25 mph, I thought I was switching into SPORT mode. My dash starting sending me errors & alerts because 'I was spinning the wrong knob'! With 2 knobs are near one another, I'm certain this will not be the first time. The light on the knob went to R but I kept driving forward. I quickly turned it back to D. Luckily, the car did not slam into reverse (thank goodness). Just thought you know encase you accidentally do this yourself!
I did the same thing, luckily the ST is smarter than me lol!!

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
That safety feature has been around for a while even in stick shift trucks. Somehow the engineers just know that someone is going do this. :D

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #277
I use the lower lumbar support when driving, it helps me sit up straight. But I recently discovered if you use the massage feature and eventually turn off your car (without disengaging the massage feature first), the lumbar support doesn't reset itself automatically when you turn your car back on. It puts lumbar support at zero when you start your vehicle next time.
You have to hit 1 2 3 (seat settings) on the door, while in Park, to get your lumbar support back. I found this annoying when doing 70mph on the highway and cannot get my lumbar support seat settings restored unless I'm in Park. You can manually do rest it but that's a hassle too.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer Platinum
On my 2021 Platinum I can link the driver seat location and lumbar support setting to my personal key fob. Check you manual for instructions.
Hold the 1 (or 2 or 3) memory button on the driver door panel down for 5-10 seconds, wait for two beeps, release the memory button then immediately press the lock button on your remote.
Whenever I open my vehicle with my remote in my pocket the seat and lumbar adjust automatically as well as the mirrors and the steering wheel.

Last edited:
OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #279
On my 2021 Platinum I can link the driver seat location and lumbar support setting to my personal key fob. Check you manual for instructions.
Hold the 1 (or 2 or 3) memory button on the driver door panel down for 5-10 seconds, wait for two beeps, release the memory button then immediately press the lock button on your remote.
Whenever I open my vehicle with my remote in my pocket the seat and lumbar adjust automatically as well as the mirrors and the steering wheel.
That completely fixed my problem. Thank you!!!

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #280
When you pull into a parking space and your engine cuts off due to the auto shut off. Simply hit the Engine Start Stop to turn off your vehicle. It will put the vehicle into Park and engage the emergency brake for you without restarting your engine.

I used to put it in the park & my engine would start back up just to turn it off again. That made no sense.