Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

More goodies: FenFabrication Cold air intake and IC Piping

Nine29

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Wow! Unreal, clean work.

Think I'm in your neck of the woods at Atwater. Next time I'm here I'll message you for a beer.
definitely I’m down! I’m in GP Woods
I'm in the Farms...would love to see (and hear) your work!

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Got it back - oh man does it sound amazing! So much more turbo, so much more growl from engine, and the bov sound is great. It’s a longer higher pitched sound - best I can explain is it sounds more like a Supra but not over top import. The BOV that all the Supra’s have is the HKS SQV. I have the turbo smart race port. There’s snow on ground AGAIN so I just spun the tires trying to do 0-60 runs so will have to wait for dry roads to test.

Going to dyno in next few weeks. I did some logs on way home running my old tune so obviously I have to get a new one to take advantage of all the new airflow. I’m pushing 37psi at peak and turbo airflow 56.04 lb/min. Based on the below which I’ve found on a few sites that should be 532-588hp estimated at flywheel - I’m guessing low 500s to wheels but will know for sure in a bit.

As a very general rule, turbocharged gasoline engines will generate 9.5-10.5 horsepower (as measured at the flywheel) for each lb/min of airflow. So, an engine with a target peak horsepower of 400 Hp will require 36-44 lb/min of airflow to achieve that target.
Any sound clips ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
K
Reactions
Thread Starter #124
Any sound clips ?

So hard to capture while I’m driving - windows up is too quiet and windows down lots of wind noise but tried to get the intake / bov noise here...bov is so sick.

Intake BOV

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
So hard to capture while I’m driving - windows up is too quiet and windows down lots of wind noise but tried to get the intake / bov noise here...bov is so sick.

Intake BOV
I’m ready to purchase lol. Also I’ll buy the other BOV if need be. Will the HKS fit ?

OP
K
Reactions
Thread Starter #126
I’m ready to purchase lol. Also I’ll buy the other BOV if need be. Will the HKS fit ?

Yep HKS, Greddy, Turbosmart etc will all work. Plenty of room. The Turbosmart is what Brett typically uses so I went with it and it’s a great happy medium between what it was and Supra territory (don’t know any other comparison to use).

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Yep HKS, Greddy, Turbosmart etc will all work. Plenty of room. The Turbosmart is what Brett typically uses so I went with it and it’s a great happy medium between what it was and Supra territory (don’t know any other comparison to use).
Okay great. Looking forward to it.

Reactions
Did you get any IATs before and after?

I was a little surprised at how bad the stock intercooler is, 36° outside with an intake temp of 64° with the stock intercooler.......

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
37psi is insanely high. That doesn’t sound right.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I think he's talking absolute pressure (PSIA) not gauge. However, I have a question, where are you getting the mass airflow (lbs/min) numbers?

Reactions
it should be reducing pressure with the intake and exhaust work flowing better.

btw, that looks sick as hell.

OP
K
Reactions
Thread Starter #132
I think he's talking absolute pressure (PSIA) not gauge. However, I have a question, where are you getting the mass airflow (lbs/min) numbers?
Correct, that 37 psi is “manifold absolute pressure”.

I get it from vcm scanner - I do some 0-60 pulls and 3rd gear/4th gear pulls and scroll to where I hit redline basically and see the numbers on the readout there. It’s capturing close to 100 categories.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
That makes all the difference. Pull out that 14.7 and it’s a lot more realistic.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Atmospheric pressure.

Reactions
Let’s meet up this week!
I might also be up for meeting, depending on the day and time. Kids have basketball games all week, except Weds. I have class and work Thursday... But, don't schedule it around my schedule. If you put something together, and I happen to be available, I'll try to be there. I just got a bunch of my interior CF parts too...

OP
K
Reactions
Thread Starter #137
I might also be up for meeting, depending on the day and time. Kids have basketball games all week, except Weds. I have class and work Thursday... But, don't schedule it around my schedule. If you put something together, and I happen to be available, I'll try to be there. I just got a bunch of my interior CF parts too...
let’s figure it out through messages. Thursday says 5-7 inches of snow so obviously before then is better

Last edited:
OP
K
Reactions
Thread Starter #139
Another clip of the glorious sounds - purposely not accelerating fast so you can hear least exhaust as possible - some nice intake and bov sound

Intake BOV 2

Attachments

Last edited: