Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

More goodies: FenFabrication Cold air intake and IC Piping

OP
K
Reactions
Thread Starter #81
I'm just shocked (no pun intended) that you don't have the Redline hood struts yet! :D

In all seriousness....looks good....this place does great fab work.
there we go...arrived!

2495AF81-CD91-4267-B6C7-4540BFA7AA20.jpeg

OP
K
Reactions
Thread Starter #84
Full setup almost done mocking up then into powdercoat!

22186CDE-2E90-41F2-9B72-8DC64CE8E125.jpeg

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Nice. Hope to see pricing and lead times soon.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Have you fired it up and driven it yet?

OP
K
Reactions
Thread Starter #88
Have you fired it up and driven it yet?
He is doing that very shortly tonight before putting it in for powdercoat to make sure no issues. Unfortunately I'm 45 minutes away from his shop so all of this is him relaying to me over the phone :)

OP
K
Reactions
Thread Starter #92
Slight bit of delay with a BOV issue. Apparently the vacuum pressure is so high that the spring in the Turbosmart BOV wasn't strong enough to hold it closed so it was just wide open. There is an additional spring you can purchase that we didn't think we'd need. It's showing up today and then checking for any final issues/test drive.

OP
K
Reactions
Thread Starter #93
Additional spring arrived and installed.

EB6E9977-BBD0-4C76-9D95-BCF134CC31AA.jpeg E994909C-2B40-4978-BE2F-1C8490A4E7CC.jpeg

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I assume production pieces will be able to use a stock style BOV? I already have a Turbosmart 50/50...don’t really wanna buy another.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Slight bit of delay with a BOV issue. Apparently the vacuum pressure is so high that the spring in the Turbosmart BOV wasn't strong enough to hold it closed so it was just wide open. There is an additional spring you can purchase that we didn't think we'd need. It's showing up today and then checking for any final issues/test drive.
Please don't take this the wrong way....You didn't post anything about the procedure you used to check the blow-off. I've followed your posts closely, but I would point out that it might not be the "vacuum pressure" as you put it- it might be overboost. You also changed the exhaust. There are a lot of cases (google) where internal turbine wastegates become unable to reign in overboost when an exhaust and intake become much better. I only mention this since I don't want to see all your hard work grenaded! I may be entirely wrong, but I suggest you put a boost gauge on and check. It just seems very strange that your blow off valve would be constantly open without overboost or incorrect plumbing.

OP
K
Reactions
Thread Starter #97
Please don't take this the wrong way....You didn't post anything about the procedure you used to check the blow-off. I've followed your posts closely, but I would point out that it might not be the "vacuum pressure" as you put it- it might be overboost. You also changed the exhaust. There are a lot of cases (google) where internal turbine wastegates become unable to reign in overboost when an exhaust and intake become much better. I only mention this since I don't want to see all your hard work grenaded! I may be entirely wrong, but I suggest you put a boost gauge on and check. It just seems very strange that your blow off valve would be constantly open without overboost or incorrect plumbing.
All good man! I live a hour away from Brett and he just relays info to me at the end of each day so I’m not actually there or helping him at all :)

I chatted with him just now and he said he understands what you mean but said zero concerns about the above, it’s fixed now, the issue was being connected to the wrong vacuum source.

The wastegate on the vehicle are vacuum actuated off a vacuum pump. Which was the same source he was using. A bov wants vacuum and boost references. So now with the correct source it’s operating as intended.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Glad to hear! I was worried about the boost reference on either the charge pipe side or the "after throttle plate" side. Glad you didn't see an extra 8psi. It would have been fun for awhile....

I assume you no longer need the extra spring?

OP
K
Reactions
Thread Starter #99
Glad to hear! I was worried about the boost reference on either the charge pipe side or the "after throttle plate" side. Glad you didn't see an extra 8psi. It would have been fun for awhile....

I assume you no longer need the extra spring?
Honestly not sure but what I do know is the spring that comes with it is for 18in-hg which is just slightly too low for the explorer being at 20in-hg. By adding the spring we increased it to cover 20-25in-hg

OP
K
Reactions
Thread Starter #100
I assume production pieces will be able to use a stock style BOV? I already have a Turbosmart 50/50...don’t really wanna buy another.
He is indeed investigating the best way to accomplish this for people that want it.