Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

More goodies: FenFabrication Cold air intake and IC Piping

OP
K
Reactions
Thread Starter #41
Can't wait for you to take it back to the dealer for some "under the hood" servicing. They will think the ST has a central vac system installed !:ROFLMAO:
LOL they will have zero clue what is happening. Maybe the more experienced technicians but not the oil change people. I used my points already when they installed my Whipple IC (yes, the dealer had no problem doing basically anything minus the tune) so I probably won't go back there unless it's a TSB thing. But regardless overall I work with a very mod-friendly dealer.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I think it would look cool like this with a massive cone filter in the big open area. You could throw a rubber elbow on the stock snorkel end and aim it at the filter to push outside air that way.
Don’t laugh...I spent hours on CAD doing this...feel free to use the idea though. lol B3C0E9A7-F3F1-4A79-A5D7-711FEC388608.jpeg

OP
K
Reactions
Thread Starter #43
I think it would look cool like this with a massive cone filter in the big open area. You could throw a rubber elbow on the stock snorkel end and aim it at the filter to push outside air that way.
Don’t laugh...I spent hours on CAD doing this...feel free to use the idea though. lol View attachment 3876
Hahahah top notch CAD work my friend! I love it. I will never pretend to be the expert on this stuff but we did talk about this at one point and my guy told me it would be better to keep it as far away from the hot engine bay as possible directly in front of the fresh air entering. Where it's placed now is about as low and to the side as it can be. Obviously you could test each with a machine to get the real answer but don't have access to that fancy stuff. Can you 3D print one with CAD for me?

Reactions
Why not do a similar setup like Rotofab uses on the LS engines?

rotofab 1.PNG

Attachments

OP
K
Reactions
Thread Starter #45
One more weld and mock-up is done. Then working with all the plug-ins, then powdercoat

E1E13CCF-D4D7-4F99-B180-82F45C7DA3CD.jpeg

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
You’re doing hot side piping also, right?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
For my own knowledge.....what is hot side piping? Is that something specific to turbos?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
For my own knowledge.....what is hot side piping? Is that something specific to turbos?
That’s the piping from the turbos to the intercooler. The cold side is from the intercooler to the throttlebody.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Got it! Thanks! Unbroken....you continue to be a wealth of knowledge for a guy like me that knows just enough to be dangerous!

OP
K
Reactions
Thread Starter #50
Why not do a similar setup like Rotofab uses on the LS engines?

View attachment 3879
The real answer to this question is time and money related to scanning the corner and creating a sealed box. That's one point. The second point is we don't have the tools to test the benefit of this vs what we did but I feel confident saying any performance increase (which would be incredibly small, if anything) would not be worth the increased cost to most people. Obviously the second part is pure speculation but I think most would agree.

OP
K
Reactions
Thread Starter #51
That’s the piping from the turbos to the intercooler. The cold side is from the intercooler to the throttlebody.
I am positive you know more about cars than me so not disagreeing based on my own knowledge - I just did some googling and asked my fabricator about this. See below diagram I found. He also confirmed generally hot side refers to hot parts which is anything exhaust related between the engine and the turbo. Cold side is all cold parts on the air side which includes the turbo to intercooler run. Also have pic of where the remaining pipes will be located that are coming tomorrow. They use a 1.875" piping off the turbo so he had to order some.

8938897A-1D2C-4E21-AEEE-D3663B3E487D.gif A9051219-0428-4EF7-BF0C-B7D80527A53B.jpeg

Sch0227

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
The real answer to this question is time and money related to scanning the corner and creating a sealed box. That's one point. The second point is we don't have the tools to test the benefit of this vs what we did but I feel confident saying any performance increase (which would be incredibly small, if anything) would not be worth the increased cost to most people. Obviously the second part is pure speculation but I think most would agree.
So,, can i get a set powdercoated the color of a tennis ball?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Better explanation: The hot side carries hot charge air from the turbo to the intercooler, and the cold side takes the now much cooler air from the intercooler to the throttle body.
731EB393-2DE2-4FDE-B823-B5BE8B25017E.png

OP
K
Reactions
Thread Starter #55
Better explanation: The hot side carries hot charge air from the turbo to the intercooler, and the cold side takes the now much cooler air from the intercooler to the throttle body.
View attachment 3885
Got it. Just different ways of looking at it I guess? This diagram makes sense to me. So to answer the question, whether a diagram calls them cold, hot, or lukewarm, yes those pipes are getting done too :)

Reactions
I guess my point was for those that are worried about heat from the engine sealing of the filter similar to how rotofab does it is not a bad idea. Now like you said cost is another component, that intake sells for $400 I am guessing that would easily double what people are having these built for.

I have yet to log IATs on our ST what are people seeing completely stock vs with the whipple? With the whipple are IATs even that big a deal if you catch some heat from the engine?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I guess my point was for those that are worried about heat from the engine sealing of the filter similar to how rotofab does it is not a bad idea. Now like you said cost is another component, that intake sells for $400 I am guessing that would easily double what people are having these built for.

I have yet to log IATs on our ST what are people seeing completely stock vs with the whipple? With the whipple are IATs even that big a deal if you catch some heat from the engine?
If you think these custom intakes are being built for 200 bucks you’re gonna have some sticker shock. There’s more than that in raw materials.

Reactions
If you think these custom intakes are being built for 200 bucks you’re gonna have some sticker shock. There’s more than that in raw materials.
Yeah wrote that wrong, double the price when combining the air box and the rest of the intake. I bet you would be well over $1000 for the sealed off airbox and the rest of the intake.

What IATs are you seeing with the whipple vs stock? How much does the filter placement matter when running such a large intercooler?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Ok....one more stupid question....and thankfully no one can shoot me through this computer so here goes.....

Does my stock ST have an intercooler?? I'm guessing yes but just not as big as the Whipple? From the diagram above it seems like an integral part of a turbo system.

And I know I can research and find my answer but you guys have this knowledge literally at your fingertips. :D

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Ok....one more stupid question....and thankfully no one can shoot me through this computer so here goes.....

Does my stock ST have an intercooler?? I'm guessing yes but just not as big as the Whipple? From the diagram above it seems like an integral part of a turbo system.

And I know I can research and find my answer but you guys have this knowledge literally at your fingertips. :D
Yes

Stock vs whipple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk