Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Lowering Springs: Lethal, Eibach, Steeda, H&R PROS and CONS

SmittysST

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 FORD Explorer ST
Okay well I don't think I am the only one that feels like these ST's need to be lowered a bit. We all have different visions with out vehicles and different springs sets work better for others. I wanted to start this thread so that people here on the forum could chime in with their own experiences with each brand. I personally wan tot lower my (wife's) ST for looks and would really like to keep the ride as comfortable as possible. I know this is typically not the outcome when lowering a vehicle. Either way, I would love to hear some PROS and CONS as they relate to these lowering springs. From what I have found while searching around this forum I have gathered that the Steedas lower the ST the least and retain a fairly close to stock ride with a tad of a rake. The H&R springs lower the ST the most and can bottom out on a cation when there is a full load. I have not obtained mush information on the Eibach or the Lethal springs as of yet. Interested to see what everyone's thoughts are regarding these options. Thank you in advance!!!

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I like my Steedas. It's the right amount of lowering I was looking for. Handling is nicer, and the ride feels better than stock as there is no secondary bouncing or floating like with the stock springs. Can't go wrong with these.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
+1 on Steedas. I really like mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I like my Steeda's but really disappointed that a lot of the paint is now gone and there is heavy rust--rears more so than fronts. Same with the rear sway bar. If you live up North, don't expect your Steeda springs and sway bar to last more than 5-6 years.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
Not sure about Lethal or Eibach, but I'm a Steeda fan, even though I live in the Northeast. Love, love, love how my car rides. Yes, other mods such as tires and sway bars help, but still a fan.

Worth checking out the below thread on H&R and Steeda. I'm sure there are other threads too.

https://www.explorerst.org/threads/lowering-springs-pros-and-cons.2110/

Polo08816

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2014 BMW 335i
Are the PIU vehicles equipped with lowering springs? How does that compare to these other options?

2020FordRaptor

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Are the PIU vehicles equipped with lowering springs? How does that compare to these other options?
No they are not. It is all the extra equipment that gives it the lower look. They use a stiffer shock but it isn’t that much of a difference.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
No they are not. It is all the extra equipment that gives it the lower look. They use a stiffer shock but it isn’t that much of a difference.
They might use a stiffer shock and strut…that hasn’t been proven yet.

Polo08816

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2014 BMW 335i
I don't think that's the case.

https://www.ford.com/suvs/explorer/2023/models/explorer-st/
Minimum ground clearance listed for 2023 Explorer ST is 7.9 inches.

https://www.ford.com/police-vehicles/hybrid-utility/
Ground clearance listed for 3.0 EcoBoost is 7.2 inches.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Wondering if that might not be the difference in the lower front facia.

Polo08816

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2014 BMW 335i
Wondering if that might not be the difference in the lower front facia.
I don't think that would be the case because I would imagine emergency vehicles tend to have trim pieces that increase ground clearance because they are expected to traverse more obstacles and bottom out their suspension more often than standard passenger vehicles.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
That's an assumption I can't make.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Ford parts show the same springs fitting an ST and a PIU,

Polo08816

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2014 BMW 335i

BigAnt75

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Love my H&Rs… I prefer the lower drop and it’s really close to dead even from front to back. I don’t haul anything so works for me. No issues after 6+ months. IMG_5789.jpeg

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Carbonized Gray
I also love my H&R's, but I haven't tried any other spring on this platform so I can't compare to others. Has anyone confirmed the H&R's bottom out? I only saw one post where the ST was driven over speed bumps without slowing down, and the OP stated a clunking noise was heard and never confirmed what was hitting. It sounds like the same noise when my rear shocks failed. About 18K miles on my H&R's with no issues so far.

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
I have had the Steeda springs and rear sway bar on for the past 18k miles and no problems here.
I like the ride and the fact that the Steeda springs keep that look of slightly lower in front with the rear a bit higher.

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
I like my Steeda's but really disappointed that a lot of the paint is now gone and there is heavy rust--rears more so than fronts. Same with the rear sway bar. If you live up North, don't expect your Steeda springs and sway bar to last more than 5-6 years.
I have the same problem as well.
Steeda did offer to send a new set, however I didn't want to pay to have the replacement done again.

Reactions
This was my former Steeda sway bar after two winters in MI. I pulled it and went with the PIU bar & shocks. No way was I going to use their springs, even though they are really the only ones conducive to towing. Just stayed with the stock springs.

IMG_1653.jpeg IMG_1654.jpeg IMG_1655.jpeg

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
This was my former Steeda sway bar after two winters in MI. I pulled it and went with the PIU bar & shocks. No way was I going to use their springs, even though they are really the only ones conducive to towing. Just stayed with the stock springs.

View attachment 20396 View attachment 20397 View attachment 20398
WOW!
Well this will be my second winter with it so I will have to see how it goes.
So far it is minimal the springs have a bit more surface rust on them.
I kept the stock springs so worst case I have back-ups.
I do prefer the way it looks and drives with the Steeda springs.