Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Lowering Springs: Lethal, Eibach, Steeda, H&R PROS and CONS

OP
S

SmittysST

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 FORD Explorer ST
Thread Starter #21
I also love my H&R's, but I haven't tried any other spring on this platform so I can't compare to others. Has anyone confirmed the H&R's bottom out? I only saw one post where the ST was driven over speed bumps without slowing down, and the OP stated a clunking noise was heard and never confirmed what was hitting. It sounds like the same noise when my rear shocks failed. About 18K miles on my H&R's with no issues so far.
How much more stiff are the H&R vs Stock? I’m not liking the paint finish quality I’m hearing about the Steedas. Bummer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
How much more stiff are the H&R vs Stock? I’m not liking the paint finish quality I’m hearing about the Steedas. Bummer

It is unfortunate about the finish on Steeda but to their defense, when they heard about my problem, they offered me a replacement! I mean how many companies would do that now-a-days?
I will continue to use Steeda products. Even Ford won't cover some warranty claims!

Reactions
It’s not paint on Steeda’s parts, it’s a powder coat. That coating on suspension parts that flex will come off and lead to rust. They did offer me a replacement sway bar as well, but I have no desire to repeat the process every couple years. A Tier One supplier like Eibach probably won’t have coating issues, which goes the same for the OE components.

OP
S

SmittysST

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 FORD Explorer ST
Thread Starter #24
It’s not paint on Steeda’s parts, it’s a powder coat. That coating on suspension parts that flex will come off and lead to rust. They did offer me a replacement sway bar as well, but I have no desire to repeat the process every couple years. A Tier One supplier like Eibach probably won’t have coating issues, which goes the same for the OE components.
Yeah very true, not sure why I indicated "Paint" when its definitely a powder coat issue. I have heard that when getting springs powder coated in the aftermarket world to be vigilant in researching who you have do them. With shot peened material and the required heat needed it is a good idea to have someone who knows what they are doing. Is there a chance that Steeda has sorted out the issue with the failing coatings on their product? I assume when there is a issue with something like that they would work on a fix? I have just about replaced all my vehicles springs whether its to lower or raise and have never had an issue with coatings. If no change has been done, my choices have definitely lessened. Thx for all the great information!!

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Carbonized Gray

They're not too much stiffer around town, you notice them more when you hit larger bumps. They stiffen up pretty quick, but they're definitely softer on this platform. I had a set on my 2018 and they were stiffer on that.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Well, when I was putting on my winter tire set the other day, I noticed one of my rear Steeda springs was severely corroded--not just surface rust! So much so that I am questioning whether it is safe. I sprayed it heavily with black Fluid Film (maybe I should have taken pictures first) and reached out to Steeda. Bought the springs in August 2020 so it's been a little over 3 years. Their response was they are not responsible for environmental causes. Disappointed to say the least. Especially when I mentioned that I had the original Steeda RSB that was rubbing on some springs. I cut the end off the RSB a year ago but the severe corrosion "may" have been due to contact with a sliding RSB. May go H&R instead since 3 years lifespan is kind of ridiculous!

Drenched in black Fluid Film but trust me, it's bad and much deeper than surface rust.
IMG_8765.jpeg

Polo08816

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2014 BMW 335i
Well, when I was putting on my winter tire set the other day, I noticed one of my rear Steeda springs was severely corroded--not just surface rust! So much so that I am questioning whether it is safe. I sprayed it heavily with black Fluid Film (maybe I should have taken pictures first) and reached out to Steeda. Bought the springs in August 2020 so it's been a little over 3 years. Their response was they are not responsible for environmental causes. Disappointed to say the least. Especially when I mentioned that I had the original Steeda RSB that was rubbing on some springs. I cut the end off the RSB a year ago but the severe corrosion "may" have been due to contact with a sliding RSB. May go H&R instead since 3 years lifespan is kind of ridiculous!

Drenched in black Fluid Film but trust me, it's bad and much deeper than surface rust.
View attachment 20657
Don't they have a similar problem with their sway bars rusting?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Don't they have a similar problem with their sway bars rusting?
Yes. Ordered Eibach springs which is supposed to be F 1.3", R 1.6" drop.

Last edited:

Fade2black

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Good afternoon
trying to finish up my lethal lowering springs install, all done except I cannot get the top hat on front passenger side to line up with the small wedge side to the outside. Its in place but when I tighten the top nut it spins like 25 degrees to the left. Yes tightened with pass through socket while holding center spindle. It’s driving me crazy. Thanks for any help

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Good afternoon
trying to finish up my lethal lowering springs install, all done except I cannot get the top hat on front passenger side to line up with the small wedge side to the outside. It’s in place but when I tighten the top nut it spins like 25 degrees to the left. Yes tightened with pass through socket while holding center spindle. It’s driving me crazy. Thanks for any help
did you ever get it figured out?

OP
S

SmittysST

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 FORD Explorer ST
Thread Starter #31
Yes. Ordered Eibach springs which is supposed to be F 1.3", R 1.6" drop.
Did you get them installed yet?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Did you get them installed yet?
No, have not received them yet. I guess it's being drop shipped but no info from Lethal.

OP
S

SmittysST

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 FORD Explorer ST
Thread Starter #33
No, have not received them yet. I guess it's being drop shipped but no info from Lethal.
Ah copy that, cant wait to see and hear how they work out.....

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
I like my Steeda's but really disappointed that a lot of the paint is now gone and there is heavy rust--rears more so than fronts. Same with the rear sway bar. If you live up North, don't expect your Steeda springs and sway bar to last more than 5-6 years.
Same issue here. After about 15k here you go...

Attachments