Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Lowering Springs Pros and Cons

Reactions
Hi Everyone,
I’m thinking about ordering either the Steeda or H&R springs to have ready to install when I receive my ST. Please share your experience when comparing the stock ride vs having the Lowering Springs installed. Are there any Pros vs Cons that I should take it to consideration before purchasing?

On another note, I will tow my boat so I will probably need to keep some rake in the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
If a "con" exists I haven't come across it in over a year of ownership. I guess if you want bigger tires and to turn your ST into a more overlanding type rig there is a con there but then again if that was your intent you wouldn't be even considering lowering springs to begin with.

OP
S
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
If a "con" exists I haven't come across it in over a year of ownership. I guess if you want bigger tires and to turn your ST into a more overlanding type rig there is a con there but then again if that was your intent you wouldn't be even considering lowering springs to begin with.
Did you possibly install wider tires on the ST wheels or aftermarket wheels?

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Yup. Running 305/40r22 tires on 22x10.5E30 custom forged wheels. no rubbing with Steeda lowering springs. My particular set of Steeda springs actually settled lower than advertised drop as well.

Before that, I was running the stock street pack wheel/tire setup with 1.25" spacers. those also didn't rub the fenderwell but were REAL close.

OP
S
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
Yup. Running 305/40r22 tires on 22x10.5E30 custom forged wheels. no rubbing with Steeda lowering springs. My particular set of Steeda springs actually settled lower than advertised drop as well.
I live in South Louisiana and the roads won’t allow me to be REAL close.

I may look at going with wider tires later on after I receive my ST. Just ordered a few weeks ago so no telling how long it will be before I receive it. I do like the stance of 305’s! I plan to have quite a few parts to be ready for install upon arrival. Springs, Rear Sway Bar, Exhaust, Whipple Intercooler, etc.

Reactions
Subscribed, great topic

Reactions
Overland tires aside, would the stiffer springs significantly effect the overall off-road capability of the ST? I want to retain the modest capability it has handling rough terrain, but if the springs would make a marked difference, I may not go that route.

Reactions
H&R here for about half a year now. No cons really. I have a 1 year old and a 3 year old I take around a lot. Lowered makes the 3 year old getting in herself easier :) That's what I told the wife haha.

Reactions
Put the Steeda springs in last week. Pretty happy with the ride quality considering the lost suspension travel. Small bumps are slightly better than the stock springs, but the ride is overall firmer yet not harsh at all.

Went with the Steeda springs to keep the stockish rake along with slightly less drop than the H&R option as the car will tow on occasion and get loaded up with family and gear for trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

denewton

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Thanks for saharing ride review on lower springs, I was wondering how the ride is compared to stock.

Reactions
I have used both Steeda and H&R lowering springs on my 2021 Explorer ST. I am currently on the H&R springs. I also have the Steeda rear sway bar installed and was used with both spring sets.

I put about 8,000 miles on the Steeda combo. I have around 800 miles on the H&Rs now. While the Steeda lowering springs do not lower as much (especially noticeably in the rear) they absolutely 100% handle better than the H&Rs. They are more hardwired to the ground, and lateral handling and steering input is noticeably more crisp. With that said, the Steeda springs are noticeably stiffer, you feel bumps in the road more, but I wouldn't say it makes the ride harsh, unless you are going over pot holes or irregularities in the road, then it is more noticeably rough than the H&Rs.

The H&Rs are noticeably softer, and I noticed in comparison to the Steedas are a bit "floaty boaty" meaning the suspension isn't as responsive, or controlled and tends to float over bumps. It feels more like an SUV. The H&Rs are more comfortable, compliant and ride better especially on the highway. The floatiness I feel could probably be better managed with slightly stiffer shock valving. The Steedas have noticeably better lateral handling, but with less front end "unload" (weight transfer) during launches, which can make launching a bit more of a challenge with tire spin if you are drag racing.

With that said, I think the H&R springs are probably better for drag racing, while the Steedas would be the better choice on a road course. The H&Rs can sometimes "bottom out" (on road humps) in the rear (just have to go slower over speed bumps and road humps), there was no such issue with the Steedas, even with passengers.

Steeda Pros:

Better, more precise steering "feel"
Better turn in response, better steering feedback with road/tires
More hardwired to the ground, but not harsh ride
Better lateral handling
Feels more like a sports car than an SUV

Steeda Cons:

Ride noticeably rougher
Not as comfortable for a daily driver
Don't look as good installed since they don't lower as much as the H&Rs
Lower in the front than in the back

H&R Pros

More comfortable for daily driving, especially on the highway
Better weight transfer during launch (straight line)
Chassis looks less SUV-ish, looks BETTER
Front and rear lowering bias even

H&R Cons

Don't handle as well, more side sway despite having the Steeda sway bar.
Less precise steering input feel, less communication feedback with steering wheel to tires
Tends to feel a bit floaty boaty in comparison to the Steedas when going over bumps or imperfections. I noticed this almost immediately since I drive the same roads every day.
Rear tends to bottom out over road humps/speed bumps
Feels more like an SUV than a sporty vehicle (I'm sure it's better than the stock springs though)

Steeda side:

BeastST5.png

H&R side:

H&R4.png

Last edited:

F=MA

Reactions
Great job on the analysis. You should do a downpipe install video to that level of detail.

Reactions
Great job on the analysis. You should do a downpipe install video to that level of detail.
Thanks, but I don't think I want to handle the downpipe installation though. :ROFLMAO::LOL::eek: I've heard it's a PITA. :p

I'm an engineer (but not automobile related). :)

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Stiffer springs don’t necessarily handle better at the absolute limit…some body roll is actually a good thing in a big heavy car.

Reactions
Stiffer springs don’t necessarily handle better at the absolute limit…some body roll is actually a good thing in a big heavy car.
This is very true. However, steering feedback is much more important in getting the vehicle to go where you want it to during aggressive maneuvers, using throttle input and I feel more confident with the Steedas when it comes to lateral abrupt "movements". With that said, I felt like the H&Rs compromise handling a bit for comfort and every day use. The Steedas are more high strung, easier to interpret steering feedback and more fun to drive, especially darting out of turns that are NOT at the limit. I have not tracked either set up and have no plans to do so. I would imagine that the difference in these two different springs is the spring rate (if it's progressive between min/max compression). I don't feel like the shocks are the greatest with either spring, but the compression rates between the two springs are very noticeably different. I have not yet researched the spring rates for this application, including the stock spring to compare.

It could be subjective, however, I also drive a modified 2017 C7 Corvette Z06 and the difference between the H&R and Steeda lowering springs is about the same between Sport mode and track mode on that car. lol. It's noticeable. While the magnetic shocks are infinitely better at irregular vehicle movements, it's also much lighter, lower to the ground and different/better weight distribution (an SUV will be much more top heavy). I'm going more on steering feel and feedback between the steering wheel and the road, but also the floaty boaty feel during aggressive driving does not inspire confidence, especially when I need to change lanes at speed. With the Steeda springs, I feel more confident at high speeds, or at 8/10ths of the limit than I do with the H&Rs. That's something to consider at 100+ mph, even in a straight line. Springs are just one part of the puzzle when it comes to a vehicles handling charactoristics. It's not really the lateral body roll that makes me nervous, it's that the suspension overall seems to get more unsettled in certain situations. Like dips in the road make the front end wallow a bit during normal driving. While the Steeda spring might be a bit harsher, everything feels precise and under control. I noticed this my first drive back after picking it up that it just felt more "floaty" which equates to more "unsettled" especially when I'm used to point and shoot precision. In my opinion the Steeda springs handle better laterally. "Floaty boaty" does not mean body roll, it means lack of steering feel and the front end especially tends to raise and dive more during accerations and braking. These two springs are NOTICEABLY different. The Steeda springs make the Explorer ST feel more planted, more precise, easier to point and shoot... like the difference between a steak knife and a butter knife. lol :p The Steeda spring feels "sportier" and makes the big heavy SUV feel more like a sports car.

EDIT: Weight transfer between front and rear of vehicle is much different. The H&Rs are more profound and dramatic for instance when slamming on the brakes, and mine will actually bottom out over road humps, whereas the Steedas never exhibited that, even with 5 passengers. The nose tends to dive more and moves around more during steering inputs. The only way I can describe it is that the driving experience is less "precise".

Last edited:
Reactions
Anybody towed with either the H&R's or Steeda's?

Wife and I are looking at boats 4-4500lbs on the trailer. Ive got some H&R's in the box, but not sure on installing them due to thinking on trailering loads.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Excellent write up and thanks for the info. So, I'm thinking Steedas up front and H&R in the rear. From your description, that sounds like a good compromise between the two. Of course, you could reverse that for a bit more oversteer. Thoughts?

Reactions
Excellent write up and thanks for the info. So, I'm thinking Steedas up front and H&R in the rear. From your description, that sounds like a good compromise between the two. Of course, you could reverse that for a bit more oversteer. Thoughts?
NO. lol. I would not use miss matched springs.

The spring rates would be too different. The rear is already a bit too soft in my opinion as far as suspension travel. The rear shocks have a harder time with rebound, hence why it sometimes bottoms out over road humps. Because there is less shock travel it "appears" to get bound up and bottom out over big bumps. It makes an ugly thump noise. It just means I have to slow down a bit more. lol. That didn't happen with the Steedas, ever.

Go with either or... or wait for a coilover option which I heard is in the works. An adjustable coilover system would be ideal, because you could set the height and stiffness to exactly what you want/need.

If the Steedas had the same ride height as the H&Rs with the same feel and handling as they currently do, they would be almost perfect IMHO.

With that said, I'm going to keep the H&Rs. If I want a harsher, go cart ride I'll just put this car in track mode. lol. It's not too great for my bad back but it handles like it's on rails.

Z0614.png

Last edited:
Reactions
Anybody towed with either the H&R's or Steeda's?

Wife and I are looking at boats 4-4500lbs on the trailer. Ive got some H&R's in the box, but not sure on installing them due to thinking on trailering loads.
I haven't towed with mine with either spring but I do believe the Steeda springs would be like stock as far as trailering is concerned. They certainly are stiff enough.

Reactions
I haven't towed with mine with either spring but I do believe the Steeda springs would be like stock as far as trailering is concerned. They certainly are stiff enough.
I have a full summer towing ski boat with Steeda springs and bar. Less lbs than you are talking about, but no down side I can feel. The fact the rear sits higher with the Steedas no doubt helps