Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Mouse Problem

Pyro

U.S. Marine Veteran
Firefighter
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
The battery is located at (left side under the hood). behind the battery is the air circulation vent and I've noticed when the car is off it AUTOMATICALLY opens up. I have a 2022 st and right now I'm dealing with a mouse problem. It has direct access to the cabin filter from under the hood. He is able to get thru a large gap along the fender. He has already chewed up two of my cabin filters luckily he didnt get all the way through (cought it on time) the rodent is literraly nesting next to the battery. I'm trying to see if there is some sort of override to keep that vent closed when the car is off or ima have to resort to chicken wire I need some help trying to mitigate this issue

23 Explorer ST

Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
Try putting a mouse glue trap in that area with a dab of cheese or peanut butter in the center of it when you park it for the night.
Good chance you will have him by the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Pyro

Pyro

U.S. Marine Veteran
Firefighter
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
Try putting a mouse glue trap in that area with a dab of cheese or peanut butter in the center of it when you park it for the night.
Good chance you will have him by the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea ima try that too thanks. Such a crap design flaw honestly.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
They like to travel in pairs.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Yea ima try that too thanks. Such a crap design flaw honestly.
They probably dont want thermal expansion, moisture buildup, or the cabin to be so airtight that slamming a door breaks a window.
(Although there are better vent techniques to avoid this)

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer Platinum
I experienced this with my vehicle when it was less than a month old.
What works for me is a rodent spray. When the door you mentioned is closed I spray the area all around the battery under the access door. Repeat as often as needed. Typically once a month now but during the initial onslaught I applied daily.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DTBOV06/ref=twister_B0CPS4SM8M?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
OP
Pyro

Pyro

U.S. Marine Veteran
Firefighter
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
I experienced this with my vehicle when it was less than a month old.
What works for me is a rodent spray. When the door you mentioned is closed I spray the area all around the battery under the access door. Repeat as often as needed. Typically once a month now but during the initial onslaught I applied daily.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DTBOV06/ref=twister_B0CPS4SM8M?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Oh man :( Making this a routine is something I really don't want to end up doing its a $60k car I shouldnt have to be doing that

OP
Pyro

Pyro

U.S. Marine Veteran
Firefighter
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #8
I attached the pictures of what I'm talking about and the way it's getting in I even included the chew marks :D

Attachments

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Had similar issue with my Fusion Sport. The city rats loved the warm block in the winter. Got it into a garage and then I used peppermint extract. Started with cotton balls and the filled an air freshener cartridge with it to keep under the hood. Was a little tedious but lasted a lot longer than the cotton balls and could keep smelling good for a while.

Reactions
Vehicle
BMW X5, Black 2020 ST
Been there. lol

thumbnail_73090937500__CD432520-9560-40F1-B13F-8A6C252D6E63.jpg

stinkybutt

Reactions
Vehicle
'18 Fusion Sport
Have dealt with a mouse in the RV. there is an anti-mouse foam filler that i've used of those gap spaces. Also used steel wool to fill gaps but not sure i'd do that on a vehicle. if you have a mouse, first thing to do is kill it. nothing works better than a snap trap. avoid poison on a vehicle unless you like the smell of the dead mouse you cant find. Get a cat.

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Capsaicin
Muscle ache cream will work to run them off as well. It's non poisonous
Liberally apply it to the plastic and wiring

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
If you park in a garage, how about a mouse bait station on the floor right under the battery?