Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Loaded my 5* 93 tune today. Dragy times

LokiWolf

Reactions
I have no idea what psi. Are you talking boost or tire pressure? I have no way to monitor boost. I have notnfigured out all the features and data logging with the lap top yet.

I was in sport mode. Auto trans. Brake to about 2k. Traction and stabil track off.

So will downpipes really shine through? Will I feel like it was worth a $1,300 installed. Would be done same time as cooler plugs, Whipple IC and turbosmart bov.
Only turn TC off, no need to go any further. It can actually save the SUV if it gets squirrelly when you are doing your runs.

Tire PSI. Most people run these with WAY too much pressure. When I am going to be launching, my cold PSI is 31 with the stock 21’s. That is the sweet spot for me.

I launch at 2900RPM’s. Sport Mode, TC Off. By the time you get to that RPM brake boosting, boost is there, so no gauge needed.

Manual shifting with the paddles is useless. Let the Trans do its job.

Those with the DP’s need to chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
CH46E

CH46E

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #22
OP
CH46E

CH46E

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #23
Only turn TC off, no need to go any further. It can actually save the SUV if it gets squirrelly when you are doing your runs.

Tire PSI. Most people run these with WAY too much pressure. When I am going to be launching, my cold PSI is 31 with the stock 21’s. That is the sweet spot for me.

I launch at 2900RPM’s. Sport Mode, TC Off. By the time you get to that RPM brake boosting, boost is there, so no gauge needed.

Manual shifting with the paddles is useless. Let the Trans do its job.

Those with the DP’s need to chime in.

Great info. Thanks. Mine are at 34 psi coldish...??? We'll as cold as FL is. Still a stupid ass 88 to 89 degree day here. I hate FL BTW. .
Can't wait to get back to the Mojave Desert.

If tomorrow allows I'll air down to maybe 30 psi and try again. I still can't believe I'm spinning 4 275/45/21s. Can't wait to get some stickier tires.

Last edited:
OP
CH46E

CH46E

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #24
IC won’t change your 0-60 times appreciably. The oem IC holds its own until then. The Whipple will shine after that though.
Unbroken..... I think I saw in another thread about the plug you chose. Are these the exact ones you used? One step cooler and smooth idle?

Bosch ZQR8SI302 Iridium Spark Plug, Up to 4X Longer Life (Pack of 1) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0068M354...abc_B64XSM9ZDT5DQGZAEMBV?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

F=MA

Reactions
Reactions
I'm getting down pipes put in on Monday so I'll be able to offer some real hand numbers after that.
I have heard from many people that dp's will no doubt increase HP but how much of that increase do we feel idk.
I'm excited to find out though :)

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
I noticed my 5* e50 tune seemed like it was acting up at WOT. Felt like it was cutting in and out during a high speed run. Not getting enough fuel? Idk. I was not happy with the 91oct transmission tuning. I’m seeing why the 5* reviews on here get a bad rap. IMHO There is some credibility to the bad reviews. Not sure when I’ll switch to ZFG. Probably tax return time. ZFG is local to me so that’s a bonus.

OP
CH46E

CH46E

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #29
I made the drive to get some e85 so I could get the e50 tune loaded. Definitely more TQ.

Under WOT in sport mode the 1-2 shift shudders a few times. But I did a run in normal mode and it was flawless and that where I got my best 60 mph run. And that was after quarter mile pull and (4) 0 to 60s.

Normal mode seems to be where it's at. This 1/4 was done in sport mode.

I have an email in to ZFG. Also one into Palm Beach Dyno.

You can see the big dip in accel when it shifted into 2nd. Really not pleased with that.

Screenshot_20211030-180658_dragy.jpg Screenshot_20211030-180758_dragy.jpg

Reactions
I made the drive to get some e85 so I could get the e50 tune loaded. Definitely more TQ.

Under WOT in sport mode the 1-2 shift shudders a few times. But I did a run in normal mode and it was flawless and that where I got my best 60 mph run. And that was after quarter mile pull and (4) 0 to 60s.

Normal mode seems to be where it's at. This 1/4 was done in sport mode.

I have an email in to ZFG. Also one into Palm Beach Dyno.

You can see the big dip in accel when it shifted into 2nd. Really not pleased with that.

View attachment 8329 View attachment 8331
4.3 with E50 tune? You gotta get on the waiting list for zfg. I get 4 second 0-60 on 93 tune from zfg, It's worth the wait. I had problems with 2nd to 3rd shift harshness and Adam fixed it when i emailed a data log to him. His tunes are great and customer service is even better.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

OP
CH46E

CH46E

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #31
ZFG is next. It cooled off a little so I did a few more pulls. All in normal mode. TC off. Screenshot_20211030-220524_dragy.jpg Screenshot_20211030-220332_dragy.jpg

OP
CH46E

CH46E

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #32
Has anyone had some oil leak or seepage fron a line in top of the driverside valve cover? Before Rare Fab does the IC install I may take it to the Lincoln deal I got it and have some issues addressed.

When passenger door is closed it makena horrible rattle. For a $58k vehicle, that is unacceptable.

Reactions
That g-force dip due to the 1-2 shift is normal, look at every other Draggy post.

no leaks here. If the rattle is coming from under the ST it could be the flex sections.

Reactions
Has anyone had some oil leak or seepage fron a line in top of the driverside valve cover? Before Rare Fab does the IC install I may take it to the Lincoln deal I got it and have some issues addressed.

When passenger door is closed it makena horrible rattle. For a $58k vehicle, that is unacceptable.
Hey hit me up especially if you are going to rare fab! Will over there is awesome! Would like to get you out of that 5 star tune and into something a little better!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

LokiWolf

Reactions
4.3 with E50 tune? You gotta get on the waiting list for zfg. I get 4 second 0-60 on 93 tune from zfg, It's worth the wait. I had problems with 2nd to 3rd shift harshness and Adam fixed it when i emailed a data log to him. His tunes are great and customer service is even better.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
No wait list anymore.

LokiWolf

Reactions
OP
CH46E

CH46E

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #37
I just did half a tank of e85 and the other half Cheveron 93. That's the right blend right?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I just did half a tank of e85 and the other half Cheveron 93. That's the right blend right?
Not even remotely close to right. You need to use a blending app to calculate the percentage. E85 Mix is the best one I’ve tried. You also need an E85 test kit to know what you’re getting. I test my local station every 2 weeks…it’s consistently 85+. I fill up there 2-3 times a week so I always know what I’m getting.

F=MA

Reactions
Since we are talking about this:

What leeway, if any, is built into a typical ZFG E50 tune to allow us to run higher or lower E values (without retuning) depending on variations in the fuel quality at any given time?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Think about an 87 vs 93 tune. At WOT, both are using approx the same amount of injector, but the timing and boost amounts would be different. So, if you have an 87 tune (for example), the 93 wouldn't add anything, but if you're running a 93 tune and use 87, then hopefully the knock sensors will save you by retarding timing and boost. The ECU has both short and long term correction strategies to help with these things.

As far as a mix of ethanol it's more complicated, since besides timing and boost, the injector pulse width is also affected. So, if you're using say straight gasoline in an e50 tune, we can definitely assume you're going to be running lean. In this case, the o2 sensor is used as a correction strategy, as well as the knock sensors.

The actual answer is you have some leeway if you're just running down the highway in closed loop mode, but if you fill up a cold car with the wrong stuff and then go full WOT, it might not compensate in time.

I remember a post ZFG made on this very subject a while back, try searching his posts to find it- as I remember he said there was some leeway, but I don't remember any specifics.