Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Interior creaks and rattles

Reactions
@Vikings71

I did the passenger rear door today and took a few photos.

1. The 7 screws that attach the sun shade to the top trim piece, these are the ones I used paper washers on. I'll explain why in a couple photos.
View attachment 12817

2. The 5 screws that hold the shade to the door panel. This is where I used the foam washers I made.
View attachment 12818

3. The paper and foam washers I made. All of them are 1/2" with a 3/16" center.
View attachment 12819

4. This is why I went paper here, I felt like I was going to break something trying to separate the shade from the trim and when I looked up the cost, it's like $400 per side, if not more. So I used something to pry the tab up slightly and using small needle nose pliers slip the paper washer between. View attachment 12820

5. Paper washer in place. View attachment 12821

6. I then used the foam washers on the screws that attach the shade to the door panel, those were easy to put in place. View attachment 12822

Let me know if this fixes it for you as well if you decide to go this route. I'm curious if this is something more of us have going on or more of a one off. There are a couple other areas I might consider doing a couple things if I start hearing noises again.
Thanks for the detailed explanation and pictures. This is on my weekend plans for sure! I will report back in after I have given it some time. It won’t take long, both sides are creaking and clicking away daily.

OP
boosted_st
Reactions
Thread Starter #42
Thanks for the detailed explanation and pictures. This is on my weekend plans for sure! I will report back in after I have given it some time. It won’t take long, both sides are creaking and clicking away daily.
You're welcome. There are still random creaks/clicks but nothing like before doing this. So I would say this helped greatly for me so far.

Reactions
You're welcome. There are still random creaks/clicks but nothing like before doing this. So I would say this helped greatly for me so far.
I got a chance yesterday to follow your steps on both doors, the only difference is I used some neoprene washers (see pictures) that I picked up at my local Ace Hardware. I have driven around in the heat the last couple of days and haven't heard any noises! So far, so good. It must have been been plastic rubbing on plastic that was causing the issue. I will report back in if I hear the noises again. Thanks again for figuring this one out! The next thing I am going to work on is the driver's seat noise when I shift in the seat or turn a corner. I know some people have posted about it here, but I haven't read up on it because the back doors noise was way more annoying to me.

Attachments

OP
boosted_st
Reactions
Thread Starter #44
I got a chance yesterday to follow your steps on both doors, the only difference is I used some neoprene washers (see pictures) that I picked up at my local Ace Hardware. I have driven around in the heat the last couple of days and haven't heard any noises! So far, so good. It must have been been plastic rubbing on plastic that was causing the issue. I will report back in if I hear the noises again. Thanks again for figuring this one out! The next thing I am going to work on is the driver's seat noise when I shift in the seat or turn a corner. I know some people have posted about it here, but I haven't read up on it because the back doors noise was way more annoying to me.
That's awesome you got it done and it took care of it for you as well! I had the paper and foam sheet here at home so that's why I went the route I did haha. Ace would have been where I went for something as well, it's great that they have a huge selection of things you can buy the amount you need.

For the seat noise, let me know if you figure that one out. The dealer has replaced the seat track and also did the TSB for the seat noise (the heater hose fix) and I still have creaking and popping from it.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Great post @boosted_st ! Learned a ton from this forum and it definitely helped me do a better job. Always good to see others experiences and solutions!

Reactions
That is great that you resolved the issue! With the temps hot here now the noise has been driving me nuts again on our '21. I'd love to be able to do this as well, but I'm always nervous about taking interior trim apart...always think some plastic piece is going to break or something.

Any video or guide to removing the rear door panels you came across? Is it easy?

Reactions
That's awesome you got it done and it took care of it for you as well! I had the paper and foam sheet here at home so that's why I went the route I did haha. Ace would have been where I went for something as well, it's great that they have a huge selection of things you can buy the amount you need.

For the seat noise, let me know if you figure that one out. The dealer has replaced the seat track and also did the TSB for the seat noise (the heater hose fix) and I still have creaking and popping from it.
If I figure out something with the seat, I will report back in for sure! Creaking and popping noises is how I would describe the sound for sure. I can kind of even feel the movement when I turn a corner.

Reactions
That is great that you resolved the issue! With the temps hot here now the noise has been driving me nuts again on our '21. I'd love to be able to do this as well, but I'm always nervous about taking interior trim apart...always think some plastic piece is going to break or something.

Any video or guide to removing the rear door panels you came across? Is it easy?
The video I followed is linked below. I didn't think taking the doors apart was too bad, but I was highly motivated to get these noises to stop!

OP
boosted_st
Reactions
Thread Starter #49
If I figure out something with the seat, I will report back in for sure! Creaking and popping noises is how I would describe the sound for sure. I can kind of even feel the movement when I turn a corner.
The physical movement in the seat is something I had as well, the TSB with the heater hose fix does actually help with that one. The creaks and pops though, I feel like those are internal and probably have to do the massage part of the seat.

OP
boosted_st
Reactions
Thread Starter #50

Removing the panel really isn't all that bad, I didn't even watch a video the first time I tried, so it took me a few to find the "hidden" screws. The video Vikings71 posted should help a lot if you feel up to giving this a go.

Reactions
The physical movement in the seat is something I had as well, the TSB with the heater hose fix does actually help with that one. The creaks and pops though, I feel like those are internal and probably have to do the massage part of the seat.
That sounds good. I actually might give the dealer a shot at the seat issue. It’s way easier to explain then the door noises, plus I just got my recall notice in the mail today so I will have to get an appointment anyway.

OP
boosted_st
Reactions
Thread Starter #52
That sounds good. I actually might give the dealer a shot at the seat issue. It’s way easier to explain then the door noises, plus I just got my recall notice in the mail today so I will have to get an appointment anyway.
If you let the dealer take a look and they actually figure something out, I'd be really interested to know what they find. The dealer I have been to hasn't fixed it even after replacing parts haha (I didn't think the seat track would make a difference when they told me they were doing that)

Reactions
If you let the dealer take a look and they actually figure something out, I'd be really interested to know what they find. The dealer I have been to hasn't fixed it even after replacing parts haha (I didn't think the seat track would make a difference when they told me they were doing that)
I will see how it goes, I don't have high hopes. I have never heard of replacing a seat track, that does seem like a stretch to me that would fix it. It feels like the issue is just below the leather somewhere, so not all that far down.

OP
boosted_st
Reactions
Thread Starter #54
I will see how it goes, I don't have high hopes. I have never heard of replacing a seat track, that does seem like a stretch to me that would fix it. It feels like the issue is just below the leather somewhere, so not all that far down.
I agree that it's something just under the leather. But they wanted to replace that, so I had to go with it.

Reactions
Following

Reactions
I agree that it's something just under the leather. But they wanted to replace that, so I had to go with it.
I must have spoke too soon, I noticed some of the creaking has returned to the rear doors today. Not near as bad as before, but still noticeable, but way less often. To me it still seems in the sunshade area. Maybe paper/felt washers would work better then the neoprene ones I used, maybe I shouldn’t have tightened the screws down as much as I did, maybe I should rip the back doors off and throw them away, not sure yet but I am sure I will try something different again at some point.

OP
boosted_st
Reactions
Thread Starter #57
I must have spoke too soon, I noticed some of the creaking has returned to the rear doors today. Not near as bad as before, but still noticeable, but way less often. To me it still seems in the sunshade area. Maybe paper/felt washers would work better then the neoprene ones I used, maybe I shouldn’t have tightened the screws down as much as I did, maybe I should rip the back doors off and throw them away, not sure yet but I am sure I will try something different again at some point.
Same here, with temps over 110 for several days I've noticed a bit more as well. Still nothing like before, but there is still something. I have 1 or 2 things in mind to try, if/when I do and they help I'll be sure to update this.

hbalek

Reactions
Same here, with temps over 110 for several days I've noticed a bit more as well. Still nothing like before, but there is still something. I have 1 or 2 things in mind to try, if/when I do and they help I'll be sure to update this.
My loud music covers up most of the annoying noises this vehicle is plagued with. The drivers seat noise bothers me the most because I can feel and hear it.

Reactions
Sounds good, misery really does love company. As always, your help is appreciated!

OP
boosted_st
Reactions
Thread Starter #60
Ok, so I decided to give something else a try. I ordered some self adhesive velvet sheets and 1mm thick felt. If this all works out and anyone wants to do the same, I can link to exactly what I bought off Amazon for this.

After taking the door apart again I did notice that the foam washers I made really did get squashed down, so I created some new ones from the 1mm thick felt that I got, I have a feeling these will hold up much better and not crush like the foam. At the same time I decided to replace the paper ones as well with the felt. Getting those out was easy, but putting the felt back in was more of a challenge since they are much thicker. With a little patience and creativity those are all replaced.
RearDoorSunshade007.jpg

Now here is where the velvet comes in. I am cutting strips to line all of the surfaces that come into contact with the door card and could potentially rub along the vinyl.
RearDoorSunshade008.jpg

This is pretty much where I am trying to avoid any contact on the door card
RearDoorSunshade009.jpg

Lastly, since I had it apart again, I decided to put some of the velvet along the tabs that lock the top piece onto the door itself. There are 9 of these areas that I did. I had only started when I took the photo.
RearDoorSunshade010.jpg

Once this is all back together and I have some time with it I'll update this to let everyone know if it has really solved anything. Now it could take a little time to report back any success/failure since I am still having issues after the engine replacement and it's going back to the dealer Monday morning for that again.