Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Hate my 3" thermal exhaust

BigAnt75

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Just a reminder we bought a V6 Explorer not a V8 Mustang lol we all need to relax …I have the Thermal 3inch and it will never compare to my Borla on my old Mustang GT. It’s my family hauler and I like a little sound now and then …if you want to really compare get a V8 not a V6 just my opinion

Reactions
Oh, a follow up to the whole the "the stock flows fine" discussion, and that it's already high flowing, mandrel bent, etc.

It has a flapper valve in it. I was getting my old OEM ready today to try to sell it (anyone want to buy an OEM exhaust in great condition?) when I noticed a little knob looking thing. I played with it to see what it is/does.

It's literally a blocker valve thing on a spring. Like a throttle body plate. Presumably when there's enough exhaust flow, it forces the valve open. It's positioned right after the mid pipes, before the central muffler/resonator thing.

The valve closed, with a flashlight on it (it has a little hole in it):
View attachment 18329

The valve open half-way, I'm twisting it against the spring tension:
View attachment 18330

The valve just about all the way open:
View attachment 18331

There's a little ball on the opposite of this plate, it looks like a flapper valve from a toilet. This device is called an Adaptive Valve, and its job is to attenuate low frequency sound in the exhaust. It works to keep the exhaust quiet. These valves do increase backpressure, though they maker claims only a "moderate" increase.

It's worth mentioning that aftermarket exhausts, such as ones from Thermal R&D, do not have these devices in them.
That’s a very early system from the initial production run. They are all dual inlet/outlet (at the resonator, obviously) from somewhere after the beginning of ‘20.

IMG_6996.jpeg

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Oh, a follow up to the whole the "the stock flows fine" discussion, and that it's already high flowing, mandrel bent, etc.

It has a flapper valve in it. I was getting my old OEM ready today to try to sell it (anyone want to buy an OEM exhaust in great condition?) when I noticed a little knob looking thing. I played with it to see what it is/does.

It's literally a blocker valve thing on a spring. Like a throttle body plate. Presumably when there's enough exhaust flow, it forces the valve open. It's positioned right after the mid pipes, before the central muffler/resonator thing.

The valve closed, with a flashlight on it (it has a little hole in it):
View attachment 18329

The valve open half-way, I'm twisting it against the spring tension:
View attachment 18330

The valve just about all the way open:
View attachment 18331

There's a little ball on the opposite of this plate, it looks like a flapper valve from a toilet. This device is called an Adaptive Valve, and its job is to attenuate low frequency sound in the exhaust. It works to keep the exhaust quiet. These valves do increase backpressure, though they maker claims only a "moderate" increase.

It's worth mentioning that aftermarket exhausts, such as ones from Thermal R&D, do not have these devices in them.
The current quickest stock turbo ST 0-60 uses a stock cat-back. The oem exhaust isn’t a restriction for 95% of ST’s. They also stopped using that valve in 2020.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
That’s a very early system from the initial production run. They are all dual inlet/outlet (at the resonator, obviously) from somewhere after the beginning of ‘20.

View attachment 18378
The current quickest stock turbo ST 0-60 uses a stock cat-back. The oem exhaust isn’t a restriction for 95% of ST’s. They also stopped using that valve in 2020.
Ah, well now that is interesting. Thanks for letting me know :)