Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Hate my 3" thermal exhaust

Reactions
I just installed the 3" Thermal exhaust with midpipes and I hate it. Obnoxiously loud and the ST is a slug now. Going back the stealthy stock exhaust.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
I just installed the 3" Thermal exhaust with midpipes and I hate it. Obnoxiously loud and the ST is a slug now. Going back the stealthy stock exhaust.
Wow. I'm sorry that you didn't like it. Wait, you had midpipes also? Doesn't that remove the resonator? Im sure it wouldn't be as loud if you pit the stock resonator back on.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Really? Interesting.........Did you test 0-60 before and/or 1/4mi time to substantiate the change?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Does anyone really think a dual 3" system is going to make their car faster?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Unfortunately, I'm sure you're right!

OP
J
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
I will do a dragy pull Monday. But it is too loud and obnoxious. I used to love on-ramps, but now it feels like a slug instead of a rocket. I think the larger pipes have robbed a bunch of torque.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
I will do a dragy pull Monday. But it is too loud and obnoxious. I used to love on-ramps, but now it feels like a slug instead of a rocket. I think the larger pipes have robbed a bunch of torque.
that's not how physics works.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I don't think it will do anything for performance (good or bad)! So surprised the OP claims it loses power and/or torque. If It drowns out the FENG on acceleration I call it a win.....lol

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
FWIW, velocity is important in an exhaust system as is heat retention. The larger the cross-sectional area and the higher the surface area the lower the velocity. A dual 3" system may give you the sound you want, but it's not a performance enhancer.
Here are two posts on the subject:
https://www.explorerst.org/threads/...-a-performance-exhaust-system.2775/post-33847
https://www.explorerst.org/threads/...-a-performance-exhaust-system.2775/post-43705

Last edited:
Reactions
Does it drone?

Define obnoxiously loud

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I don't think it will do anything for performance (good or bad)! So surprised the OP claims it loses power and/or torque. If It drowns out the FENG on acceleration I call it a win.....lol
The vast majority of ST reviews I've seen all love the FENG.

that's not how physics works.
It could indeed be from that, as physics shows a free flowing exhaust could lower exhaust temps making for slightly slower spool up on the turbos.

Reactions
Wow. I'm sorry that you didn't like it. Wait, you had midpipes also? Doesn't that remove the resonator? Im sure it wouldn't be as loud if you pit the stock resonator back on.
the OEM midpipes only have flex setions, no resonators. Both OEM and Thermal have a sinlge resonator and a muffler on each outlet. This is what helps keep Thermal systems quiet compared to others.

OP, aftermarket exhaust will not do much in terms of gains. The only reason I changed mine is because the OEM flex sections rattled like crazy, the OEM welds were prone to cracking, and the fake tips drove me nuts.

Boss240

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST, 2012 Boss Mustang, 2019 Audi S4
Did you ever do the Dragy run to see if it was actually slower?

I'll take it off your hands if you don't want it anymore lol

OP
J
Reactions
Thread Starter #16
the OEM midpipes only have flex setions, no resonators. Both OEM and Thermal have a sinlge resonator and a muffler on each outlet. This is what helps keep Thermal systems quiet compared to others.

OP, aftermarket exhaust will not do much in terms of gains. The only reason I changed mine is because the OEM flex sections rattled like crazy, the OEM welds were prone to cracking, and the fake tips drove me nuts.
That is the main reason I changed mine also. I realize there is a compromise with the sound. I love the sound at idle and cruising, but when you want to go fast, it is really loud. I paid $1848 shipped from Lethal, so I guess I will try it for a while. Maybe I can find a quieter mid muffler.

Reactions
That is the main reason I changed mine also. I realize there is a compromise with the sound. I love the sound at idle and cruising, but when you want to go fast, it is really loud. I paid $1848 shipped from Lethal, so I guess I will try it for a while. Maybe I can find a quieter mid muffler.
have you disabled FENG? I think my FenFab catted DPs + 2.5" Thermal is more quiet than FENG in Sport mode.

Reactions
Quieter mid-muffler might be the fix. I installed a magnaflow 5x8x18. Added a shuttle deeper tone at idle. Back in the day I had a 67 GTO with headers and reverse flow mufflers running through 2" pipes. Back then scavenging effect was important to flow and performance. Turbos may be different. My point is 3" on an engine half the size of a 6.5 ltr would seem to be over kill and potentially have some negative performance aspects. Just my old gear head observation.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Hey I have a nearly brand new Borla S-type less than 300 miles on my 2022 ST would you like to trade?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Hey I have a nearly brand new Borla S-type less than 300 miles on my 2022 ST would you like to trade?
I just saw you won’t ship so never mind thanks.