Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Ford Performance Tune

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Ok but think about it this way, $585 for an aFe Intake for 15hp(going off AFE’s numbers & Whoosh Motorsports’ prices), & another $1500 for a Thermal Exhaust($1500 for 2.5”, $1700 for 3”)and you’re probably close to making the same gains right? So $700($695 from Lethal Performance) for 30hp is pretty reasonable. Even if you just take the aFe intake @ $585 you’re paying $39/hp. @ $700 you’re paying about $23.35/hp for the FP tune. Just putting that out there. :LOL:
For me, I'm not saying FORD's tune isn't worth it. Just that it doesn't make any sense seeing their recall and subsequent parking brake "fix".

But try telling that to some people. Otherwise, I'd be first in line to get it.

Reactions
Ok but think about it this way, $585 for an aFe Intake for 15hp(going off AFE’s numbers & Whoosh Motorsports’ prices), & another $1500 for a Thermal Exhaust($1500 for 2.5”, $1700 for 3”)and you’re probably close to making the same gains right? So $700($695 from Lethal Performance) for 30hp is pretty reasonable. Even if you just take the aFe intake @ $585 you’re paying $39/hp. @ $700 you’re paying about $23.35/hp for the FP tune. Just putting that out there. :LOL:
I understand and agree with the logic of horsepower per dollar and also keeping the warranty. For myself I consider the intake and exhaust more of a vanity mods sound and aesthetics.Though there is power to be gained I'd say they fall into the last things I will do. The factory intake and exhaust are sufficient for the power gains I'm looking to have. The change in the transmission logic may be the most noticable difference with this tune. I just think the cost vs what you get isn't worth it personal preference and opinion. I got a 400$ dollar tune on my malibu that added 50whp and changed the way the car drove and I loved it definitely felt the difference. I just feel Ford could have thrown a little more at it is all....glad they made the effort I'm sure this will be a add on to a lot of new orders.

Reactions
This horse has been beaten way past death already. The Explorer ST will NOT get a Ford Performance tune, especially after the rear subframe fiasco. The ST IS the Ford Performance tune. Don't bring the "yeah, but now the Limited and KR have 400hp"....so what, nothing to do with the ST.
This aged well. ;)

Reactions
For me, I'm not saying FORD's tune isn't worth it. Just that it doesn't make any sense seeing their recall and subsequent parking brake "fix".

But try telling that to some people. Otherwise, I'd be first in line to get it.
True story, my ST is currently in for rear camera blue screen (which the said is a software update, yeah ok! lol), a broken puddle light and an oil change/tire rotation. I specifically told the dealership NOT to perform the computer update recall for the parking brake and it is noted on my work order. We'll see if they listened when I pick it up this afternoon.

Reactions
Yep and I find it hilarious. People waited 3 years for 30hp…for 700 bucks. lol
View attachment 14503
Warranty thats why lol To be fair, it will be a pretty big jump for older Platinum and KR owners. But then again, no one has actually dyno'd those either, for all we know, they probably always made the same power as the ST

I dunno, 30hp for $700 relatively isn’t bad. People spend more on an exhaust and I don’t think they make as much as this tune. I’m in CA so I was considering the Whipple Stage 1 but that’s freakin’ $2100(but I guess that includes the IC for that price). For $700 and not have to worry about Smog and warranty issues it seems reasonable to me. I feel this isn’t geared toward ppl who track or drag their cars regularly, more towards those who just like to put the pedal down every now and then.
Pretty positive this tune wont fly in CA. 49 state availability for MY2022 vehicles, im sure CA is the 1 state didnt approve this lol
It’s 30HP…you’re barely even gonna notice that. lol
At least im glad someone else acknowledge the older KR/Platinum isnt much, if any, different vs the ST in straight line performance.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
At least im glad someone else acknowledge the older KR/Platinum isnt much, if any, different vs the ST in straight line performance.
Except it is. Less power and the difference in gearing.

Reactions
Except it is. Less power and the difference in gearing.
35 hp isnt much more noticeable than 30hp. You'll probably notice more of a difference in lowering the tire pressure than the slight higher final gear ratio lol

We're not in the age of 5-6 speeds anymore where final gear ratios made a big difference, even then, its barely even higher. The more power you make, the less of a reason to have higher gears

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Warranty thats why lol To be fair, it will be a pretty big jump for older Platinum and KR owners. But then again, no one has actually dyno'd those either, for all we know, they probably always made the same power as the ST

Pretty positive this tune wont fly in CA. 49 state availability for MY2022 vehicles, im sure CA is the 1 state didnt approve this lol

Actually this will fly in CA. It has a CARB EO# meaning it’s CARB legal, meaning it’s legal to use this in CA. I’m guessing that It won’t be available to owners in Alaska.

Reactions
Actually this will fly in CA. It has a CARB EO# meaning it’s CARB legal, meaning it’s legal to use this in CA. I’m guessing that It won’t be available to owners in Alaska.
Seems like its only approved for 2020-2021 ST's, 22's are out of luck in CA for now?

The new Ford Performance Explorer ST performance calibration is installed using the included ProCal 4 delivery tool, and is CARB certified for 2020-2021 models, while 2022 models are legal in 49 states. Ford has determined that this calibration doesn’t adversely affect emissions when installed and used properly, but it does not have regulatory approval in California and cannot be legally registered or used on 2022 model year vehicles in that state at this time as a result.

Ford Authority Explorer ST Tune

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Anyone have any info on the capabilities of the ProCal 4? Is it a repackaged SCT or other device. Can it be used for monitoring or just to deliver the tune?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Seems like its only approved for 2020-2021 ST's, 22's are out of luck in CA for now?

Ford Authority Explorer ST Tune
Awwww crud! The Whipple Stage 1 for awhile was only listed through 21’ as CARB legal as well. Motherlovers. Yeah now that I see it, 22’& 23’ owners will have to wait til they update it for 22’s & the 23’s.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Anyone have any info on the capabilities of the ProCal 4? Is it a repackaged SCT or other device. Can it be used for monitoring or just to deliver the tune?
AADF8760-ACF9-43C5-82F6-3DFC51D7EC24.png

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Awwww crud! The Whipple Stage 1 for awhile was only listed through 21’ as CARB legal as well. Motherlovers. Yeah now that I see it, 22’& 23’ owners will have to wait til they update it for 22’s & the 23’s.
you car is brand new you have 4 or 5 years till smog. The whipple IC is 100% legit to use right now. I would not use there tune even if it was thrown in for free. Install the whipple get ZFG tune and in 4 or 5 years pull the tune off smog put back in and your set for 2 more years.

Reactions
I think the most underappreciated part of my ZFG tune is how smooth the transmission is, especially compared to stock. Ford did an awful job programming the transmission, and I find it hard to believe they smoothed anything out in this new "tune". +30HP for $700, no thanks.

Also, did anyone notice the dyno graph compares "Base tune on 87 oct" vs "Performance tune on 93 oct"? Yeah, double no thanks.

1664475437786.png

Reactions
I think the most underappreciated part of my ZFG tune is how smooth the transmission is, especially compared to stock. Ford did an awful job programming the transmission, and I find it hard to believe they smoothed anything out in this new "tune". +30HP for $700, no thanks.

Also, did anyone notice the dyno graph compares "Base tune on 87 oct" vs "Performance tune on 93 oct"? Yeah, double no thanks.

View attachment 14525
A Bronco Raptor owner said the transmission shifted better and smoother vs the ST, both have the same transmission. Im sure Ford tweaked some stuff to make it similar to the Brapter.

Far as the graph, I mean we know damn well they dont make 400hp on 87 octane to begin with.

Reactions
A Bronco Raptor owner said the transmission shifted better and smoother vs the ST, both have the same transmission. Im sure Ford tweaked some stuff to make it similar to the Brapter.

Far as the graph, I mean we know damn well they dont make 400hp on 87 octane to begin with.
I can tell you right now that "graph" was created by someone plotting numbers in Excel and was not from a real dyno. 400hp rating is crank HP on a dyno test stand.

Reactions
I can tell you right now that "graph" was created by someone plotting numbers in Excel and was not from a real dyno. 400hp rating is crank HP on a dyno test stand.
Oh im fully aware and agree. Just wanting to show a nice graph lol But still to the point, usually Ford claims are underrated on boost cars, was the same with the performance tunes on the Mustang Ecoboost and GT. Nobody had any major complaints with those and enjoyed the added power with "warranty", It will be the same case here.

However, I believe one of them had a slight high A/F ratio at least from what I recall.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer Platinum
I read the installation instructions and it indicates the VIN is displayed. That might be a check Ford included to prohibit the tune on my Platinum.
Any Forum members know someone at Ford Performance I can talk with?

View attachment 14504
I have an inquiry at Ford Performance asking if this will work for my 2021 365hp Explorer Platinum. I'll report back as soon as I here from them.

Reactions
I have an inquiry at Ford Performance asking if this will work for my 2021 365hp Explorer Platinum. I'll report back as soon as I here from them.
Based on the information that was provided you are better off just filling your tank with 93 octane and saving the $700.