Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Ford Performance Tune

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
And CC, now that I'm into day 2 of the FP tune all I can say is I'm even more impressed with it now. This thing boogies with the tune!

And the shifting in Performance Sport Mode has almost completely smoothed out.(y)

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Carbonized Gray
And CC, now that I'm into day 2 of the FP tune all I can say is I'm even more impressed with it now. This thing boogies with the tune!

And the shifting in Performance Mode has almost completely smoothed out.(y)
I agree, there are better tunes out there but the FP tune is perfect for our daily driver. It's much more responsive and plenty of fun to drive.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Here’s another dumb question that I haven’t seen clearly written out: are all the drive modes updated or is this just an update that’s noticeable in the Normal mode?

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Ok…you’re past the factory warranty so sell what you have and get a real tune.
This is decent advise however if you’re planning to keep your ST long term, no doubt the more mild FP tune will be easier on the drivetrain. But I agree if I was out of warranty, I think I’d go Zfg auto octane.

But as per actual users of the FP tune, there is 100% a meaningful difference. I can attest to it as well.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I agree, there are better tunes out there but the FP tune is perfect for our daily driver. It's much more responsive and plenty of fun to drive.
I was pleasantly surprised with the FP tune. No complaints.

Here’s another dumb question that I haven’t seen clearly written out: are all the drive modes updated or is this just an update that’s noticeable in the Normal mode?
I pointed out that the harshness of Sport Mode has nearly been eliminated. I rarely drive in Normal or any other mode, so I can't really comment about them.

SmittysST

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 FORD Explorer ST
Where is the best place to get the FPT? I see it threw Steeda and I'm sure there isn't a Ford Dealership in Cali that would do the install....

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I got the tune from Lethal Performance when it was on sale.

Regarding getting it installed in Cali, it appears you're out of luck for right now.

Untitled1.jpg

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Dropped another tenth from previous best of 4.92, eighth was 8.39.
Not enough road for a full 1/4, might have to go to the track for that.
(FP Tune & AWR brace, nothing else)

07-19-23 8.39.jpg

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Dropped another tenth from previous best of 4.92, eighth was 8.39.
Not enough road for a full 1/4, might have to go to the track for that.
(FP Tune & AWR brace, nothing else)

View attachment 18732
Just multiply 1/8 ET x 1.56. You’ll be within a few hundredths. Should run an easy 13.0X.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
It should be noted the Dragy's reported temp was once again off. It was actually ~10 deg warmer so the actual DA was considerably higher than 1,100 ft.

And an 1/8 ET of 8.39 converts to a 13.10 quarter, so a 13.0 in cooler weather is virtually guaranteed.

Seeing I have no other mods but the AWR brace, this FP tune is awesome. To say I'm impressed is an understatement, worth every penny.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Regarding getting it installed in Cali, it appears you're out of luck for right now
Answer for my email to Ford performance regarding the same.

"First of all to the best of my knowledge they are still working on EO for 22-23.
Can I say for sure it will be approved? You never know for sure working with the government.
The 3 year 36K miles warranty is from the day the vehicle was first sold. (in service date)
After that period if something fails and is caused by the calibration there is no warranty.
If something fails and is not caused by the calibration your standard and extended would apply.

Extensive development work goes into the calibrations. We have not had any issues."

So question here would be, has anyone faced issues caused by installing a FP Tune?

My assumption is not many will raise hands for the following reasons
  1. Not many have installed FP Tune
  2. Very less time on the FP Tune, to have a failure related to it
  3. People who opt for it don't do aggressive stuff with it, on a daily basis
  4. As a relatively mild tune and developed by Ford, it takes care of other weak points in the drivetrain.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
It should be noted the Dragy's reported temp was once again off. It was actually ~10 deg warmer so the actual DA was considerably higher than 1,100 ft.

And an 1/8 ET of 8.39 converts to a 13.10 quarter, so a 13.0 in cooler weather is virtually guaranteed.

Seeing I have no other mods but the AWR brace, this FP tune is awesome. To say I'm impressed is an understatement, worth every penny.
There’s a lot more than temp that factors into DA. It could actually be lower at a higher temp….gotta look at the whole picture.

Reactions
I got the tune from Lethal Performance when it was on sale.

Regarding getting it installed in Cali, it appears you're out of luck for right now.

View attachment 18725
As always, putting wrong information out there. He has me and a ton of others on ignore since he doesnt like being wrong lol

For the new people, you CAN purchase and install it for 2020-2021 Explorer's In California. 22+ are the only ones out of luck, for now?

Screen Shot 2023-07-27 at 9.19.52 AM.png

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST (AWD)
thanks for all the details. I have a very early 2020 that I bought lightly used last year, and I have the ford extended warranty through 2025 I think. Your info is directly up my alley.

I just imagine if I asked the service writer about any of this they’d look at me like I was speaking Greek and out of my mind. It’d probably be easier just to get the FP tune, though I’d have to figure out an ASE mechanic that would install it for me.

I’m just spinning my wheels. Would the tune basically give me all the shifting improvements and basic throttle improvements that the new firmware might give?
==========================

According to FP official document they claim the following: "Optimized transmission shift schedule" and "Improved throttle response throughout RPM range".
- Even though the wording is a bit (Fugazzi) some on here with the FP tune have reported tranny shift improvement. However, this does not imply a guarantee and your miles may vary.

Hope this helps.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
According to FP official document they claim the following: "Optimized transmission shift schedule" and "Improved throttle response throughout RPM range".
- Even though the wording is a bit (Fugazzi) some on here with the FP tune have reported tranny shift improvement. However, this does not imply a guarantee and your miles may vary.

Hope this helps.
I did install the tune in mid July, and I’ve been mostly happy with it. The power is certainly noticeable, and I think the shifting is better. I definitely can feel it hold a gear longer in normal mode during non-aggressive acceleration, and there are fewer rough shifts, but I still feel quite a bit of bucking on low gear downshifts. A tune can’t do much about whatever mechanics are at play.
I’m happy overall and don’t regret it. I wanted a minor power bump with any improved shifting, and I got it.

BigAnt75

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Anyone in the DFW area or Houston know of which dealership installs and offers this tune? And if so how much was the cost to install?

Xalm

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
Ford dealer in Ardmore, OK did it for me for $48. They felt bad about charging that since all they had to do was push 2 buttons.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Answer for my email to Ford performance regarding the same.

"First of all to the best of my knowledge they are still working on EO for 22-23.
Can I say for sure it will be approved? You never know for sure working with the government.
The 3 year 36K miles warranty is from the day the vehicle was first sold. (in service date)
After that period if something fails and is caused by the calibration there is no warranty.
If something fails and is not caused by the calibration your standard and extended would apply.

Extensive development work goes into the calibrations. We have not had any issues."

So question here would be, has anyone faced issues caused by installing a FP Tune?

My assumption is not many will raise hands for the following reasons
  1. Not many have installed FP Tune
  2. Very less time on the FP Tune, to have a failure related to it
  3. People who opt for it don't do aggressive stuff with it, on a daily basis
  4. As a relatively mild tune and developed by Ford, it takes care of other weak points in the drivetrain.
I've raised my hand! Great info from Ford Performance BTW.(y)

Just be careful on the forum as there are a number of people who clearly demonstrate no working knowledge of anything autmotive (much less on the ST). Lol

I haven't posted more on the FP tune because typical Summer heat/humidity lends itself to high DA's and less than optimum ET's. So far, my best 0-60 mph remains at 4.8 sec, with a few 4.9's in warm/humid weather to back it up.

Again, caution about who you listen to here. Locate and block them as I did, you'll recognize them by their pompous attitudes and never ending supply of errors. o_O

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I did install the tune in mid July, and I’ve been mostly happy with it ... I’m happy overall and don’t regret it. I wanted a minor power bump with any improved shifting, and I got it.
Ditto! (y):)

Ford dealer in Ardmore, OK did it for me for $48. They felt bad about charging that since all they had to do was push 2 buttons.
My dealer only permits two of it's mechanics to even do that job. They registered the unit with FP, assigned me a temp password, ran the wires neatly behind the trim, mounted the tuner, and then did a test drive to make sure everything was good to go. One hour charge for labor.