Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Ford Performance Tune

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
You won't get the latest but there have been at least two PCM firmware updates for MY2020 that will help shifting some. Unfortunately, you need to still be under warranty and even then it is up to the discretion of your dealer whether they want to flash the latest. Since early 2020 builds have over a dozen modules with new updates, a few of us have bought the interface and leased FDRS software to flash the module updates at home. Not cheap but certainly an option, especially if you are out of warranty and are keeping the vehicle a while more.

Also, a lot of the tunes make full throttle shifting quicker, stronger, smoother than stock but may not address the ungainly day-to-day, partial throttle shifting that can occur with the stock calibration.
thanks for all the details. I have a very early 2020 that I bought lightly used last year, and I have the ford extended warranty through 2025 I think. Your info is directly up my alley.

I just imagine if I asked the service writer about any of this they’d look at me like I was speaking Greek and out of my mind. It’d probably be easier just to get the FP tune, though I’d have to figure out an ASE mechanic that would install it for me.

I’m just spinning my wheels. Would the tune basically give me all the shifting improvements and basic throttle improvements that the new firmware might give?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I’m just spinning my wheels. Would the tune basically give me all the shifting improvements and basic throttle improvements that the new firmware might give?
No one knows for sure. I would not assume that to be true. Since this is a Livernois device, let me give you my experience with their product/tune. I hooked the device up to my Explorer and sent them the stock tune with strategy code listed for the vehicle. They then send back a tune that was made for this strategy code. Note that they did not send me a tune based on the most up to date stock tune (with different strategy code). When I updated my PCM at the dealer, I essentially had to do the same process over--sent the new stock tune with new strategy code and they sent me a tune (they had already on file for that specific strategy code). Based on my experience, I would NOT assume that all FP tunes are exactly identical. Otherwise, why not just put the tune on the device and have people back up the stock tune and upload the FP tune? It also has been reported that the FP tune does not have any transmission tuning whatsoever. On the flip side, some FP users feel the shifting is clearly improved. Who really knows but I woudn't buy an FP tune just for the potential for better shifting.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Ok so a very dumb question - I have a Mac and no access to a PC. Parallels is fairly expensive at $75 a year just to install this tune. Anyone have good ideas for how to get around the Windows-only requirement?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Ok so a very dumb question - I have a Mac and no access to a PC. Parallels is fairly expensive at $75 a year just to install this tune. Anyone have good ideas for how to get around the Windows-only requirement?
Does your Mac have an intel processor? If so, you can run bootcamp and install an unlicensed but still functional version of windows. Free and legit.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Does your Mac have an intel processor? If so, you can run bootcamp and install an unlicensed but still functional version of windows. Free and legit.
it’s a new M2, but now that you mention it I do have an old Intel-based MacBook here. Damn, might just make this tune happen. I’m very wary of at all screwing with my Ford Premium Care esp, but I also can’t stand the idea of paying a dealer hundreds to click a button.

I promise not to post my indecisive waffling any more

EDIT: I ordered the tune from Steeda and loaded Windows on an old Intel MacBook Pro. Here we go.

Last edited:

earworm

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I have driven in regular, sport and ECO and the start stop stays off. I also checked by battery level to make sure it wasn't my battery. I had my tune installed in May of 2023, so maybe I revived and updated tune.
Mine still goes off except for sport mode, so no difference with the FP tune

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
FP tune (because warranty)
AWR brace (because tune)
Everything else bone stock, very pleased with the result

NOTES
tune dealer installed, 1 hour shop labor, great master tech showed me everything he did
single run, 3/4 tank 93 octane, ~50 lbs equipment in the car, TC OFF
this tune has 4.8's written all over it, maybe even more

Thank You Whoosh for the AWR brace, and Lethal Performance for the FP tune.(y)

Screenshot_2023-07-14-10-28-08.jpg

Screenshot_2023-07-14-10-29-06.jpg

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
CFM, didn't you have the tune forever ago?
Nope.

The first ST I bought in April of '22 remained 100% bone stock, and when I traded it on another one in Sept of '22 it also remained 100% bone stock until now.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Nope.

The first ST I bought in April of '22 remained 100% bone stock, and when I traded it on another one in Sept of '22 it also remained 100% bone stock until now.
Ah ok. So what's your butt dyno say? Is the FP tune noticeable from a performance and smoother shifting perspective?

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Ah ok. So what's your butt dyno say? Is the FP tune noticeable from a performance and smoother shifting perspective?
I kid you not CC, the power difference with the FP tune is definitely noticeable.

That is born out by the fact that my best stock 0-60 mph time before the tune was 5.34 sec on a cold day in February with negative DA.
The FP tune run of 4.92 sec on a July day with +1,265 ft DA says a lot. That's a solid .42 sec improvement, I expect another .2 sec in cooler weather.
I was also impressed that I had to hold more pressure on the brakes when I boosted the launch to keep the tires from breaking loose.

Regarding the smoother shifting thing, I'll have to drive it around a bit more.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I kid you not CC, the power difference with the FP tune is definitely noticeable.
very cool. I bought it and have it ready to roll, but I’m really not looking to ask my Ford dealer about installing it. Just looking for confirmation bias that I can safely do it myself without the warranty police coming after me

Xalm

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
If you do it yourself you won't get their 3/36 warranty.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
3/36 from the in service date*
Explain like I’m five. The car was first purchased 10/2019 by some lady, and I bought it in 8/2022. I bought the Ford PremiumCare extended warranty, which is good through 10/2025.
So, what’s my situation if I install this thing myself?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Explain like I’m five. The car was first purchased 10/2019 by some lady, and I bought it in 8/2022. I bought the Ford PremiumCare extended warranty, which is good through 10/2025.
He means you don't qualify for the 3/36 warranty. Your 3 years have already passed. So go ahead and install it yourself. The odds of a tune-related problem that would negate your extended warranty are extremely small.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Ok…you’re past the factory warranty so sell what you have and get a real tune.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Ok…you’re past the factory warranty so sell what you have and get a real tune.
haha I know I know, and trust me I’ve read the entire thread and know all about the other tunes. But I’m also thinking, ok I’ll run this very mild tune first for a year or something and then when I get the urge for more powah, I’ll have something to look forward to. Genius? Maybe so.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
The description for the FP EXPLORER CALIBRATION says that to retain the original FORD 3/36 warranty it needs to be installed by a FORD dealer or SAE/Red Seal certified tech from new vehicle in service. (see first pic/link) If I'm reading it correctly, if your vehicle was put into service on 10/2019 that means any warranty would've only been covered until 10/2022. Right?

I suggest you call their tech line (see second pic) and ask them about your situation directly.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9603-EX30

Untitled1.jpg

tech.jpg

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
The description for the FP EXPLORER CALIBRATION says that to retain the original FORD 3/36 warranty it needs to be installed by a FORD dealer or SAE/Red Seal certified tech from new vehicle in service. (see first pic/link) If I'm reading it correctly, if your vehicle was put into service on 10/2019 that means any warranty would've only been covered until 10/2022. Right?

I suggest you call their tech line (see second pic) and ask them about your situation directly.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9603-EX30

View attachment 18687

View attachment 18688
Ask about what? He’s clearly timed out on any warranty that comes with the tune.