Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

FDRS for module updates

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Zero issues with the current modules in a 6-20 build. Why would I want to update modules?? Just for the fun of it? Please clue me in.
I regularly talk to the Engineers on the Police Product Team. They advised us that the modules are constantly updated when they get feedback from dealers who do warranty work and then Ford Engineering gets the service records for repeat issues. When I took the tour at CAP the Plant Manager was explaining how their product team meets every week to look at the service records accross NA on Explorer to see what is not working and how the Plant can make changes. Unfortunately like the RVC issue its not a Ford made part that fails its a Tier 1 supplier part made off site. As was mentioned previously there are lots of issues with these vehicles and the sad part is Ford Engineers do actually fix them but there's no way to push them out to everyone at one time. Mine is a early 21 MY build and I have lots of updates to do (15 actually). I want the vehicle to be in the best possible running condition, thats every module tuned to its max performance. No more rear emergency brake system false activations, no more hesitation on acceleration when cold, it goes on and on.

Reactions
View attachment 14950

Maybe too late for you but you can check for the plug by peeking under the rectangular cover to the center of the axles. you just need to remove the two bolts and one plastic retainer at the rear corner to get a sufficient look. See pic of driver side. if the front axle disconnect actuator has a connector, it'll be on the front surface. they eliminated the plug altogether on newer ones.
View attachment 14948

Bump, I have a feeling the answer will be no but I want to ask anyway. We took ours in to have the seal replaced on the FADA. I am assuming Adam's tune doesn't touch that part of the module? Sounds like the reason you get the question about the plug is because that whole system is now gone and the front axel is engaged all the time, not clutch and brain means no need for the plug.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Bump, I have a feeling the answer will be no but I want to ask anyway. We took ours in to have the seal replaced on the FADA. I am assuming Adam's tune doesn't touch that part of the module? Sounds like the reason you get the question about the plug is because that whole system is now gone and the front axel is engaged all the time, not clutch and brain means no need for the plug.

Yup. That video shows the second version of the "intermediate shaft" The first one just looked like the axle hub actuator or FADA but without the plug. That happened sometime in MY2021 i believe.This latest version uses a different drivers side axle, FYI.

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Just got the RVC recall completed and was able to get my dealer to complete the module updates as well.

Have to say the cold start hesitation or stumble that was present before is completely gone with the PCM/BCM module update.

The camera recall updates the IPMB module which also affects the Rear Brake Assist, now that feature does not do the scary false alarms when I back up so another successful update.

I also had the Audio Front Control Module and Audio Digital Signal Processing module updated, I tuned the stereo to my normal volume and it was too loud so I turned it down. Possibly new software related but a good thing not a bad thing.

Overall it just seems to run better.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST 401A Pkg White Met Tri-Coat
Just got the RVC recall completed and was able to get my dealer to complete the module updates as well.

Have to say the cold start hesitation or stumble that was present before is completely gone with the PCM/BCM module update.

The camera recall updates the IPMB module which also affects the Rear Brake Assist, now that feature does not do the scary false alarms when I back up so another successful update.

I also had the Audio Front Control Module and Audio Digital Signal Processing module updated, I tuned the stereo to my normal volume and it was too loud so I turned it down. Possibly new software related but a good thing not a bad thing.

Overall it just seems to run better.
Glad it was resolved for you.
My 23 got hit by lightening. Wiped out the turbo sensor and the ipmb module, (behind your mirror). I never had the rear camera prob. It had to be flatbed to the dealer cause it barely crawled.
Everything was installed and I updated all modules. Ran better than new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk