Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

FDRS for module updates

OP
D

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #21
View attachment 14950

Maybe too late for you but you can check for the plug by peeking under the rectangular cover to the center of the axles. you just need to remove the two bolts and one plastic retainer at the rear corner to get a sufficient look. See pic of driver side. if the front axle disconnect actuator has a connector, it'll be on the front surface. they eliminated the plug altogether on newer ones.
View attachment 14948
This is excellent info. I assume this is from underneath?

OP
D

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #22
This was my list of updateable firmware, but the dealer did update a handful of modules spring 2021.
View attachment 14949
Took me about 4 hours to do the above and re-do my Forscan coding (double honk, FENG disable, and LED rear turn).
Did those updates undo your forscan mods? I know they can, but if the as-builts have been in place long enough, it shouldn't... what is long enough? no one seems to really know.

I couldn't get the ACM to take, and yea, I'll check the front axle disconnect actuator another time

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
This is excellent info. I assume this is from underneath?
Yes, pic from underneath with the cover pulled back.

Ford Boss Me shows older and newer actuators:
watch

OP
D

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #24
Yes, pic from underneath with the cover pulled back.

Ford Boss Me shows older and newer actuators:
watch
Perfect, thanks for that. Mine is a pretty early build so I would be surprised if mine does have that harness, but I'll check before updating.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Did those updates undo your forscan mods? I know they can, but if the as-builts have been in place long enough, it shouldn't... what is long enough? no one seems to really know.

I couldn't get the ACM to take, and yea, I'll check the front axle disconnect actuator another time
Yeah. The BCM removed all the BCM settings I did. and the ACM removed the FENG disable. Upon completion of the module updates, AWD and ACM still were listed as needing updates but both updates had completed successfully so just figured the servers just didn't update them? And I did have to open the liftgate manually the first time I tried to use it, but after the next keystart, it was working again. Otherwise no lasting unresolved issues.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Perfect, thanks for that. Mine is a pretty early build so I would be surprised if mine does have that harness, but I'll check before updating.
Yeah, mine is listed as an 05/2019 build. MY2020 are pretty much what really need these module updates. Unfortunately, while I was under the car, I noticed my driver's side cat had a weld crack and signs of leak.:cautious: Yet another MY2020 problem.

OP
D

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #27
Yeah, mine is listed as an 05/2019 build. MY2020 are pretty much what really need these module updates. Unfortunately, while I was under the car, I noticed my driver's side cat had a weld crack and signs of leak.:cautious: Yet another MY2020 problem.
Wow, yours is even older than mine, I think mine was at least a J2 build.

Hassa

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Would any of the members on this site with an active FDRS license be willing to check the VINs of other owners to inform them of what updates need doing? There’s a post similar on the Mach E forum that I’m on and it has over 230 pages!

Hassa

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
I did have to re-initialize the windows after updating the DDM and PDM because the auto-up wouldn't work. After updating the ACM, GWM, and RGTM, I had to let the vehicle shutdown completely (let it sit for 10-15 mins with the ignition off) to allow the updates to fully install.

I didn't do a full shut down immediately and the radio wouldn't play and there was an "network connection error" that popped up on the sync screen when I shut it down. but after the full shutdown everything worked just fine.

The liftgate had to be manually opened and closed a couple of times after the RGTM, but after a couple of full shutdown cycles it began working automatically again.

I haven't had any issues with the 360 camera and parking sensors all seem to be working fine. I did not mess with the lane centering or adaptive cruise yet, so I cannot speak on that. Overall the vehicle is acting and operating exactly as I expected it to. I'll have to double check the driving aides though, just for verification. But there are no DTC's or faults other than a PDM/DDM fault that I could not get to clear, but did not seem to affect operation in any way.

View attachment 14862
Do you still have your session log in FDRS from when you did those updates? I still have around 7 modules left and would like to see how long each module takes to install. Can’t seem to find any more TSB’s or SSM’s but I think the remaining modules might be around an hour to install?

Attachments

Last edited:

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I’ve never had it take an hour for multiple updates. I think I did 6 once and it took less than 30 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
I did have to re-initialize the windows after updating the DDM and PDM because the auto-up wouldn't work. After updating the ACM, GWM, and RGTM, I had to let the vehicle shutdown completely (let it sit for 10-15 mins with the ignition off) to allow the updates to fully install.

I didn't do a full shut down immediately and the radio wouldn't play and there was an "network connection error" that popped up on the sync screen when I shut it down. but after the full shutdown everything worked just fine.

The liftgate had to be manually opened and closed a couple of times after the RGTM, but after a couple of full shutdown cycles it began working automatically again.

I haven't had any issues with the 360 camera and parking sensors all seem to be working fine. I did not mess with the lane centering or adaptive cruise yet, so I cannot speak on that. Overall the vehicle is acting and operating exactly as I expected it to. I'll have to double check the driving aides though, just for verification. But there are no DTC's or faults other than a PDM/DDM fault that I could not get to clear, but did not seem to affect operation in any way.

View attachment 14862
Greetings. Just getting around to doing FDRS updates. How did you reinitialize the fort modules after updating? I have the same, auto window up won’t work. Thanks!

Excalibur

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Even though I have a 2023 that I just purchased, I'm interested in getting set up with everything required to do everything on my own FDRS and Forscan alike.
Does anyone have a list of hardware/software and resources that would more easily get me to that point?

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
You need a Bosch Mastertech II and a subscription to Ford Service and a laptop to run. You will also need a battery charger to keep the battery charged while you are doing updates and an internet connection. You could buy the Ford scanner from Ford Rotunda but the Bosch is cheaper.

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
The Bosch MasterTech is $1500-$2000 depending where you look.......yikes!

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST 401A Pkg White Met Tri-Coat
You can get the Mongoose and it works fine.
Between my F150 and my ST, I’ve updated all off them at one point multiple times over last few years.. The F150 has 43 modules, the ST, I forget, 23 or so.

F=MA

Reactions
Zero issues with the current modules in a 6-20 build. Why would I want to update modules?? Just for the fun of it? Please clue me in.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Zero issues with the current modules in a 6-20 build. Why would I want to update modules?? Just for the fun of it? Please clue me in.
Hey, if it isn't broke don't fix it!

I had issues with the APIM GPS pickup, parasitic power drain leading to multiple deep sleeps, shifting that was herky jerky at times, a liftgate that would open at inappropriate times, multiple codes using Forscan diagnostic scans at random times, etc.--these just off the top of my head. Since updating all available modules, a much nicer, more worry-free ownership experience! Worth the money! My feeling is MY2020-early2021 were beta testers. Corrections were made and Ford should have offered to update all modules for owners to improve satisfaction like they approved for dealers' existing stock.

Reactions
Reactions

My car was an early 21 build. There were over a dozen modules that Ford released new software for to address various things. Is there a risk that something could happen, yes, but I think its small compared to the fixes that Ford implements. The dealers won't do the updates unless there is a specific condition they are diagnosing and realize there is a software update available as part of this diagnostic. It took two full days to complete all of the updates on mine. The down side for me was getting the auto-parking brake engagement (which I didn't have) and was not going to get because I don't fall under the recall.