Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Cold Air Intake status?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
The pipes coming out of the air box with the filters are feeding the turbos, so it does look like they are using the factory intake pipe. They also have some cutouts on the front of the air box but I cant think they are getting much if any air flow through the leading edge of the hood.

View attachment 6603
It’s a 3D printed prototype…I highly doubt the production parts will have extra holes.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Ok, so the best that I can answer is that no, they're not using the stock lower box, but they are using the factory snorkel to feed the system. They mentioned that Ford had done a really good job with that design the way it forces air in. Also, they weren't happy with the front cut outs, so those have been plugged. They're still tweaking the system, but so far they seem to be happy with the progress that they're making.
Maybe the didn’t have enough real estate in it to package everything then but yea…the oem snorkel feeds from a sealed high pressure area behind the grille. It’s one of the better designs I’ve seen.

Reactions
Okay sooo tell them to hurry up sir it’s been 1.5 year since the mention of a cold air intake!!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hahahaha...... I totally get it. My ST has been in there quite a bit lately, so hopefully they will get the green light shortly. There are a few tweaks that they're working on and trying to sort out.

Reactions
Hey guys, just wanted to give you a little bit more information on aFe's CAI. The numbers for the prototype are in and it made an extra 15hp and 17tq at 4600 rpms. Hope this is helpful. It's actually on aFe's IG time line now. There is also talk about aFe working on some other parts for the future as well.

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Hey guys, just wanted to give you a little bit more information on aFe's CAI. The numbers for the prototype are in and it made an extra 15hp and 17tq at 4600 rpms. Hope this is helpful. It's actually on aFe's IG time line now. There is also talk about aFe working on some other parts for the future as well.
That’s good. Decent gains and non tuned?

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
They do have a plug and play tuner now.

What other parts?

Reactions
That’s good. Decent gains and non tuned?

This is on a stock ST with no tune of any kind. I know that different sections have looked at the truck, but not sure what they plan on doing. Both exhaust and the intercooler guys have definitely spent some time checking it out.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Fair gains for an intake. Hell I’ll buy it on looks alone.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Excited for this. Haven't used any personally but I know the AFE products my buddy's have used are great. I will definitely be grabbing this for the looks. The extra couple HP is even better!

And since I'm delayed waiting for ZFG to get California approval, I could probably have this on first to be included in the tune.

celeritate opus

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
I am new to this, I order a Ford Explorer ST 2021 four months ago for my wife and just recently she saw on youtube some that are modified and wants to modify hers. Prior to the ST she drove a 2017 Rav4, so a HUGE jump on ponies for her. I wanted to know from you all what do you guys think would be the best start to upgrading performance to the car, I had in mind a cold air intake or a k&n drop in filter, assuming that I would not need to tune up the car for those mods, correct?

Reactions
I am new to this, I order a Ford Explorer ST 2021 four months ago for my wife and just recently she saw on youtube some that are modified and wants to modify hers. Prior to the ST she drove a 2017 Rav4, so a HUGE jump on ponies for her. I wanted to know from you all what do you guys think would be the best start to upgrading performance to the car, I had in mind a cold air intake or a k&n drop in filter, assuming that I would not need to tune up the car for those mods, correct?
For a drop in filter, you're good without a tune. I know that once aFe releases their CAI, you won't need a tune. I know on different vehicle platforms there are CAIs out there that require a tune, so I'm not sure about the other companies CAIs.

celeritate opus

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
For a drop in filter, you're good without a tune. I know that once aFe releases their CAI, you won't need a tune. I know on different vehicle platforms there are CAIs out there that require a tune, so I'm not sure about the other companies CAIs.
Aside from the drop in air filter what are other mods I can add onto the car to just up the performance by a bit.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Aside from the drop in air filter what are other mods I can add onto the car to just up the performance by a bit.
For about $700 you can get a tune. Best bang for the buck. Just bolting on a CAI or exhaust isn't going to make a lot of difference.

Reactions
Fair gains for an intake. Hell I’ll buy it on looks alone.
Agreed. Don’t suppose anyone has an. Idea for $ ? Apologize if it’s been stated. I may have missed it.

Reactions
Agreed. Don’t suppose anyone has an. Idea for $ ? Apologize if it’s been stated. I may have missed it.

Honestly, I don't believe they've come up with a price point yet. I know that they're wrapping up a couple of final details with it. So I would think they'll have a price relatively soon.

Reactions
Excited for this. Haven't used any personally but I know the AFE products my buddy's have used are great. I will definitely be grabbing this for the looks. The extra couple HP is even better!

And since I'm delayed waiting for ZFG to get California approval, I could probably have this on first to be included in the tune.
WAIT. we have to wait on CAs approval before ZFG will send to cali?

thatll never happen.

Reactions
WAIT. we have to wait on CAs approval before ZFG will send to cali?

thatll never happen.
Carb eo is in process for all pump gas explorer tunes. The actual testing is already complete. Now we are in the paperwork phase. It'll be a while but it will happen.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

LokiWolf

Reactions
Carb eo is in process for all pump gas explorer tunes. The actual testing is already complete. Now we are in the paperwork phase. It'll be a while but it will happen.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Props Adam!!! I know it has been a massive amount of work and time. Respect!