Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Cold Air Intake status?

Jwbreeding

Active Duty U.S. Air Force
Reactions
Related, but possibly irrelevant, aFe recently came out with an intake kit for the Edge ST. Uses the bottom half of the stock air box and two cone filters. It's logical/possible they would come out with something similar for the Explorer ST soonish. Or not, who knows.

https://afepower.com/afe-power-52-10003r-rapid-induction-pro-5r-cold-air-intake-system
Maybe they will, those numbers seem a little high for the edge ST with just adding two cone filters/box

Reactions
Maybe they will, those numbers seem a little high for the edge ST with just adding two cone filters/box
The numbers are deceiving. If you read the fine print on the dyno chart, those gains were with the intake AND a custom axel back exhaust. So cut in half, probably. Still, it's better than nothing and should give a little more engine sound. I bought one to put in my wife's Edge.

Jwbreeding

Active Duty U.S. Air Force
Reactions
The numbers are deceiving. If you read the fine print on the dyno chart, those gains were with the intake AND a custom axel back exhaust. So cut in half, probably. Still, it's better than nothing and should give a little more engine sound. I bought one to put in my wife's Edge.
Good catch, I didn't see that part with the exhaust. At this point I would buy it. Still amazed there isn't more performance parts out yet for the ST.

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
It’s about time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Saw it earlier today…I like the way they think.

Reactions
Yes, aFe is working on the prototype and it's hitting the dyno today to see what if any gains there are. Seat of the pants dyno definitely feels like there's an increase.

Attachments

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Yes, aFe is working on the prototype and it's hitting the dyno today to see what if any gains there are. Seat of the pants dyno definitely feels like there's an increase.
What is the projected release date?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
May have to wait for this one instead definitely dresses up the engine nicely

Same. I like this one over the other currently available option.

Reactions
It might be hard to see, is the intake side hanging out in the engine bay or is it connected to where the factory air box pulls in air from the outside?

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
How are they taking in cooler air ? Is there a snorkel of some sort ?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
How are they taking in cooler air ? Is there a snorkel of some sort ?

It appears to use the stock lower box and snorkel.

Reactions
It appears to use the stock lower box and snorkel.
The pipes coming out of the air box with the filters are feeding the turbos, so it does look like they are using the factory intake pipe. They also have some cutouts on the front of the air box but I cant think they are getting much if any air flow through the leading edge of the hood.

1625190253454.png

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
The pipes coming out of the air box with the filters are feeding the turbos, so it does look like they are using the factory intake pipe. They also have some cutouts on the front of the air box but I cant think they are getting much if any air flow through the leading edge of the hood.

View attachment 6603
The front holes are questionable from the pics . But I will say AFE doesn’t make half ass’d products. I’m sure they know what they are doing before they release it.

Reactions
Ok, so the best that I can answer is that no, they're not using the stock lower box, but they are using the factory snorkel to feed the system. They mentioned that Ford had done a really good job with that design the way it forces air in. Also, they weren't happy with the front cut outs, so those have been plugged. They're still tweaking the system, but so far they seem to be happy with the progress that they're making.

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Ok, so the best that I can answer is that no, they're not using the stock lower box, but they are using the factory snorkel to feed the system. They mentioned that Ford had done a really good job with that design the way it forces air in. Also, they weren't happy with the front cut outs, so those have been plugged. They're still tweaking the system, but so far they seem to be happy with the progress that they're making.
Okay sooo tell them to hurry up sir it’s been 1.5 year since the mention of a cold air intake!!! :)