Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Cold Air Intake status?

Reactions
Carb eo is in process for all pump gas explorer tunes. The actual testing is already complete. Now we are in the paperwork phase. It'll be a while but it will happen.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Thank you for going through all of these steps for us suckas out here in this F'ed up state of California.

IvanM07

Reactions

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Not on Premier yet…I can’t see what the DW pricing will be.

Reactions
Ouch! Expensive! Historically, ive fabbed up my own CAI with materials from Ace, HD, Advance auto, etc so i didnt have to drop 3+ bills on a couple ponies. This one is twice the price of a typical CAI albeit a much more intricate design. However, 2 wtq & 12 whp isnt worth $600+ IMO esp. when that same $$ gets you ZFG flyin. But if ZFG can take the obvious increase in airflow and turn 12 ponies into 25-30 then it may be worth it…

Last edited:

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Ouch! Expensive! Historically, ive fabbed up my own CAI with materials from Ace, HD, Advance auto, etc so i didnt have to drop 3+ bills on a couple ponies. This one is twice the price of a typical CAI albeit a much more intricate design. However, 2 wtq & 12 whp isnt worth $600+ IMO esp. when that same $$ gets you ZFG flyin. But if ZFG can take the obvious increase in airflow and turn 12 ponies into 25-30 then it may be worth it…
It’s basically 2 full cai's sharing one box. I think the price is acceptable for what goes into it. There’s a LOT more to these than just slapping a filter on a pipe and calling it a day.

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Gonna pre order but trying to decide on dry or wet filters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IvanM07

Reactions
Yeah That's what I saw when I looked at the Dyno, +12whp & 2 wtq not sure where they're getting "+15 HP / +17 lbs. x ft. Torque Max Gains"

It would be interesting in a few months to see if a tune increases it by much at all.

For $600 I'd be more inclined to get it if there were better gains w/ a tune and other bolt-ons, but it definitely looks better and likely sounds somewhat better as well.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Yeah That's what I saw when I looked at the Dyno, +12whp & 2 wtq not sure where they're getting "+15 HP / +17 lbs. x ft. Torque Max Gains"

It would be interesting in a few months to see if a tune increases it by much at all.

For $600 I'd be more inclined to get it if there were better gains w/ a tune and other bolt-ons, but it definitely looks better and likely sounds somewhat better as well.
Unless I'm going blind, perhaps you're misreading the dyno chart. Looks like what they are claiming matches up with the dyno results. The claim is "max gains". It looks to me to be a pretty nicely engineered unit. I agree it's pricey tho.

Last edited:

IvanM07

Reactions
Unless I'm going blind, perhaps you're misreading the dyno chart. Looks like what they are claiming matches up with the dyno results. The claim is "max gains". It looks to me to be a pretty nicely engineered unit. I agree it's pricey tho.
ahh, I see that now, I was reading the Max gains at the bottom, not the ones highlighted at 4600, sorry.

It seems (to me) to be a bit of a clunky way of phrasing it. I suppose I was thinking max/peak gains. After looking at it again, there do seem to be decent gains especially 4200+ RPM

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
ahh, I see that now, I was reading the Max gains at the bottom, not the ones highlighted at 4600, sorry.

It seems (to me) to be a bit of a clunky way of phrasing it. I suppose I was thinking max/peak gains. After looking at it again, there do seem to be decent gains especially 4200+ RPM
You're not wrong tho in checking for actual max vs stock hp/torque figures. Due to resonance etc, there may be gains at certain RPM points, but it's obviously breathing better than the stock units at about 5200 and above- as long as you can believe the charts. If so, a tune would probably show pretty decent gains over stock.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
You're not wrong tho in checking for actual max vs stock hp/torque figures. Due to resonance etc, there may be gains at certain RPM points, but it's obviously breathing better than the stock units at about 5200 and above- as long as you can believe the charts. If so, a tune would probably show pretty decent gains over stock.
That’s what I’m thinking too. Their gains were on a 100% stock car…tuned with other mods should show a bit more. I’d be perfectly happy with an extra 20 or so on mine. I’m waiting to order though…even with the 10% off I think DW pricing will be lower.

Reactions
Looks like they did a great job with it. You can’t just slap a pipe and filter on these without getting a CEL, so you’re paying for more than you think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Yes it isn't cheap and yes it more than likely would make more power with a tune...but for those people worried about trying NOT to void a warranty with a tune, it's one of the few mods they can do it. Which is why I'm considering it.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Slightly off subject, but does anyone else wonder about the choppiness of the dyno chart after about 5200 rpm? It can't be compressor surge at that point. The "surge" rpm points are too close together to be explained by intake/exhaust resonance either. So, would it be attributable to KR forcing the ecu to pull timing? If so, it seems to add it back in very quickly which also seems doubtful. My bet would be the internal wastegate cycling. At least in my opinion that would be prime suspect. Anyone else have any input?

https://afepower.com/media/catalog/product/files/pdpfiles/5/0/50-70076r_dc.1626964968.jpg

Last edited:

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
If it is a wastegate/flow surging problem, this would point to better downpipes (catted of course), having a larger impact in performance than I had previously thought. Of course, it could just be a peculiarity of the dyno itself.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Looks great, was ready to pre-order, then saw the note about not selling in California! They are just a few miles from my in-laws in Corona. I'll have to stop and and see if I can get it there, or have it shipped to my buddy in Scottsdale.

F=MA

Reactions
I pre-ordered one also.

Last edited:
Reactions
If it is a wastegate/flow surging problem, this would point to better downpipes (catted of course), having a larger impact in performance than I had previously thought. Of course, it could just be a peculiarity of the dyno itself.
Hey guys. So I've been the test dummy for this project. Speaking with the R&D guys, they were telling me that the jumping at the higher RPMs was in fact caused by the dyno. They've had this happen on a couple other vehicles as well. I have kept my ST stock for them so they can test this along with other items they're looking at producing. To be honest, with the "seat of the pants" dyno, you can definitely feel it wake up more as the rpms increase. I haven't had any issues or thrown any codes with the prototype. If there's anything that I can answer, I will gladly so just ask away. As far as pricing, seeing what R&D has gone into this project it makes sense. Also, in my opinion there is the potential of a little bit more power out of the actual production piece due to not retaining as much heat as the prototype. The prototype is completely 3D printed and that material tends to retain more heat than the materials used for the actual unit that will be in production. There are talks about them making additional products for our vehicles in the near future as well.

Jwbreeding

Active Duty U.S. Air Force
Reactions
went ahead and pre ordered, came out to 551 with the 10% discount.