Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Buyback Data

Due to unresolvable issues with your ST, do you need a buyback from Ford?

• Total voters

Suli711

Reactions
sorry to hear that. Just got mine 3/1/2020 and it was built 09/2019. Knocking on wood, so far no problems except for the rear defroster had peeled of. dealer replacing glass.

OP
bluehalo
Reactions
Thread Starter #22
Ford STILL has not approved my buyback.

It’s been in the shop for five straight weeks now, and a total of seven weeks. Very frustrating.

OP
bluehalo
Reactions
Thread Starter #23
FINALLY got approved yesterday for the buyback. Supposed to meet at the dealership to sign the papers and give the vehicle back. What an ordeal to make payments on a vehicle that we had in our possession 4 out of 16 weeks.

Reactions
Where’s the build date? The one on the door jam sticker?

Reactions
I wouldn't go so far as to use that analogy, as our problems began within the first week of owning it. I get the sense that those of us that have issues with our STs had the issue from the get go, and they did not develop several weeks or months down the road.
Couldn't agree more. Mine started the morning after taking delivery.

Reactions
For anyone who got a buyback, what did Ford offer? I'm assuming it's sale price plus TTL and any dealer-installed add-ons. I purchased a Ford extended warranty a couple weeks ago so I'd expect that would be transferred (with new in service date) or refunded, too. Only other vehicle I'd consider is an MDX and that's really just to keep a non-Ford option open. If I could swap and get current 0% APR and three months' payments covered it would make the decision easier and cover the speaker/subwoofer upgrades I'm considering.

Reactions
I had an issue with the heater core (they thought, anyway) which required the complete dash, and front interior to be removed. The heater never worked from day one and it turned out not to be the heater core after all. I didn’t want a brand new car disassembled and reassembled like that so I lobbied for a new one, which I got. I added a couple of options and paid for those and this new one is flawless. Ford definitely stepped up to the plate and the odds of getting another problematic one are very slim. I’m not quite sure why all but one that I know of that got a buyback didn’t get another Explorer...unless they possibly decided they wanted something different from the start??

OP
bluehalo
Reactions
Thread Starter #28
I had an issue with the heater core (they thought, anyway) which required the complete dash, and front interior to be removed. The heater never worked from day one and it turned out not to be the heater core after all. I didn’t want a brand new car disassembled and reassembled like that so I lobbied for a new one, which I got. I added a couple of options and paid for those and this new one is flawless. Ford definitely stepped up to the plate and the odds of getting another problematic one are very slim. I’m not quite sure why all but one that I know of that got a buyback didn’t get another Explorer...unless they possibly decided they wanted something different from the start??
So, if I’m reading your statement correctly, you think that we decided to buy a $60,000 vehicle and yet somehow wanted “something different from the start??” That this is simply buyer’s remorse or sticker shock?

Perhaps it‘s that we’ve had issues with our vehicle within 24 hours of taking delivery in January. Perhaps it’s that I put down a 10% deposit and made 3 months worth of payments on a vehicle that‘s been in the shop for more than ten weeks? Perhaps it‘s that, at least in our case, that Ford still has not completed the buyback? Would you, after nearly four months of ownership, want to buy the same vehicle that has been in your possession a total of three weeks? Call our confidence in Ford ”shaken” at best. They have not stepped up to plate for us in the slightest, at least not yet.

Reactions
So, if I’m reading your statement correctly, you think that we decided to buy a $60,000 vehicle and yet somehow wanted “something different from the start??” That this is simply buyer’s remorse or sticker shock?

Perhaps it‘s that we’ve had issues with our vehicle within 24 hours of taking delivery in January. Perhaps it’s that I put down a 10% deposit and made 3 months worth of payments on a vehicle that‘s been in the shop for more than ten weeks? Perhaps it‘s that, at least in our case, that Ford still has not completed the buyback? Would you, after nearly four months of ownership, want to buy the same vehicle that has been in your possession a total of three weeks? Call our confidence in Ford ”shaken” at best. They have not stepped up to plate for us in the slightest, at least not yet.
I’m not saying that at all; sorry if I wasn’t clear and I think you completely deserve a buyback. What I’m saying is that why not get another one instead of changing brands? The odds of you getting another lemon are extremely slim.

OP
bluehalo
Reactions
Thread Starter #30
Still waiting for the actual buyback from Ford. Everythung is supposedly approved, but they haven’t actually given us the final buyout number.

Just made another loan payment today on a vehicle that we haven’t seen since February 15th.

Reactions
Bluehalo, I'm almost in the same situation. Ford's Reacquired Vehicle (RAV) team confirmed all the paperwork, from me and the dealer, is in place and now I'm waiting for the formal numbers from the "formulation team." The dealer expects this to close around May 28th and that'll put it at just about 30 days from when Ford began my buyback. Are you getting another ST?

OP
bluehalo
Reactions
Thread Starter #32
Bluehalo, I'm almost in the same situation. Ford's Reacquired Vehicle (RAV) team confirmed all the paperwork, from me and the dealer, is in place and now I'm waiting for the formal numbers from the "formulation team." The dealer expects this to close around May 28th and that'll put it at just about 30 days from when Ford began my buyback. Are you getting another ST?
No idea about getting another ST yet, as my wife is more than a little pissed at Ford (not that I blame her). The dealer’s service department has had the vehicle since February 15 and still has no clue what is wrong, nor have they been able to fix it, which is pretty concerning.

Buyback is still not complete, and no word from Ford Customer Service or the RAV team in nearly 3 weeks. I get that the COVID-19 crap has messed with things, but they could at least send an email update or something. Ford is supposedly going to give us a discount towards the purchase of any new Ford vehicle, so we’ll see how good of a deal it is before we decide what to get.

KegsBdry

Reactions
No idea about getting another ST yet, as my wife is more than a little pissed at Ford (not that I blame her). The dealer’s service department has had the vehicle since February 15 and still has no clue what is wrong, nor have they been able to fix it, which is pretty concerning.

Buyback is still not complete, and no word from Ford Customer Service or the RAV team in nearly 3 weeks. I get that the COVID-19 crap has messed with things, but they could at least send an email update or something. Ford is supposedly going to give us a discount towards the purchase of any new Ford vehicle, so we’ll see how good of a deal it is before we decide what to get.
That's awful. My previous Ford Dealership (Alexandria, VA) did not call/email/text, nothing. I always had to follow up with them. I left a voicemail on their Service Dept's Manager to clean up their act. He called back and I walked him through all the shortfalls of my visit. From mechanics confessing they didn't test things to poor communication. They really dropped the ball.

After driving my ST to another Ford Dealership (Waldorf, MD) to hunt down gremlins, they fixed it and ordered parts for a follow up. Their Service Dept even took advice from Ford Bulletins I found of possible causes. I also made it clear to the next Ford Dealership of why I moved over to them. That got them calling me before I called them.

It's a hit or miss with Ford Dealerships.

Reactions
Just went and checked my build date to see how worried I should be. 01/20 so I am hoping that I should be all good. Mine still has less than 600 km so too early for me to say anything about the health of mine.

KegsBdry

Reactions
Just went and checked my build date to see how worried I should be. 01/20 so I am hoping that I should be all good. Mine still has less than 600 km so too early for me to say anything about the health of mine.
My build date is: July 2019.....I'm screwed. :oops: Once all the gremlins are found, I'm hoping it'll be fine.

Reactions
That's awful. My previous Ford Dealership (Alexandria, VA) did not call/email/text, nothing. I always had to follow up with them. I left a voicemail on their Service Dept's Manager to clean up their act. He called back and I walked him through all the shortfalls of my visit. From mechanics confessing they didn't test things to poor communication. They really dropped the ball.

After driving my ST to another Ford Dealership (Waldorf, MD) to hunt down gremlins, they fixed it and ordered parts for a follow up. Their Service Dept even took advice from Ford Bulletins I found of possible causes. I also made it clear to the next Ford Dealership of why I moved over to them. That got them calling me before I called them.

It's a hit or miss with Ford Dealerships.
My servicing and replacement dealers were great. The original selling one...not so much but I was shopping based on price only. Had a great experience with my RAV contact - she never took more than one business day to reply. I went with a vehicle replacement with the process formally kicking off April 29th and I was driving home in the new ST May 22nd. Old ride had a 12/2/19 build and new is 2/20/20. My state's (Minnesota) lemon law only allows financial consideration of factory-installed options with a swap so even the $200 spent on splash guards would've been "lost" although the second ST's dealer didn't bill me for them so it's a wash.

I was pleasantly surprised how light the documentation exchange and purchase paperwork was - the "sale" involved no more signatures than a typical buy and the F&I manager was 1,000x less pushy than the first dealer. RAV team submitted to have my 8/125 ESP transferred but said it could take a few weeks for that to reflect on my account.

KegsBdry

Reactions
My servicing and replacement dealers were great. The original selling one...not so much but I was shopping based on price only. Had a great experience with my RAV contact - she never took more than one business day to reply. I went with a vehicle replacement with the process formally kicking off April 29th and I was driving home in the new ST May 22nd. Old ride had a 12/2/19 build and new is 2/20/20. My state's (Minnesota) lemon law only allows financial consideration of factory-installed options with a swap so even the $200 spent on splash guards would've been "lost" although the second ST's dealer didn't bill me for them so it's a wash.

I was pleasantly surprised how light the documentation exchange and purchase paperwork was - the "sale" involved no more signatures than a typical buy and the F&I manager was 1,000x less pushy than the first dealer. RAV team submitted to have my 8/125 ESP transferred but said it could take a few weeks for that to reflect on my account.
I'm a second owner, this should have been the first flag. Guess I can't do the RAV.

But I finally found a good Ford dealership to fix all the gremlins. I'm sure more may show up in the winter. The exhaust has been upgraded ($$$).

But for now, I can't complain too much about time in the shop. It's usually all day and then I get it back. And it's covered under warranty. Plus, there is no where to go during COVID.

OP
bluehalo
Reactions
Thread Starter #38
Buyback is scheduled for June 30th. I’ll let you know how the paperwork goes.

Reactions
Good luck! Found out mine's still not complete due to some snafu with the title transfer so I technically own, or am making payments on, two STs until Ford resolves it. I keep seeing a Telluride in my neighborhood and they're certainly eye-catching. Have you looked at one?

Reactions
Absolutely amazing the difference having a good dealer can make. The ones in the D/Ft Worth area suck to say the least. All they want to do is sell and do regular maintenance. It took going to a small town Ford dealer, Sykora Family Ford, to get my issues resolved. They've made a customer for life.