Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Best tune for 2020 Ford Explorer ST

LokiWolf

Reactions
ghtuning.com

Used their Octane adaptive tune on my 2020 F150 and the tune works great, just ordered SCT BDX with the Adaptive Octane tune for my 2021 ST. Not going to offer the most power but the best overall performance increase with great street drivability. Best part about he adaptive octane tune is that you don't have to change tunes if a certain octane is not available, such as when traveling, works with 87 - 95 Octane. The Adaptive Octane tune is an “overlay Map”, all the unique features to the different drive modes are still active i.e. Normal/Eco/Sport/etc.
The “overlay map” thing is a Non-thing, both of the most recommended tuners for the ST, ZFG and PBD, tweak many of the modes. My ZFG tuning most noticeably tweaks Sport and Normal Trans tuning, throttle mapping and many other things. Power is the same in all, but that is the same for all companies.

Not saying Gearhead isn’t good. Just that what you described isn’t anything new.

The Adaptive Octane is a good thing, but it basically means you are leaving some power on the table when you are running 93.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
The “overlay map” thing is a Non-thing, both of the most recommended tuners for the ST, ZFG and PBD, tweak many of the modes. My ZFG tuning most noticeably tweaks Sport and Normal Trans tuning, throttle mapping and many other things. Power is the same in all, but that is the same for all companies.

Not saying Gearhead isn’t good. Just that what you described isn’t anything new.

The Adaptive Octane is a good thing, but it basically means you are leaving some power on the table when you are running 93.

Technically speaking I leave all the auto octane functions in place. You could put 87 in a 93 tune and it'll turn itself down to where it would be with 87 on stock file. It's just a big swing in power and I don't want people filling up with 87 and then hammering on it leaving the gas station.

Realistically these should never see anything less that 91 octane. They can't even make decent stock numbers on 87 let alone more than stock.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Hey @ZFGracing- would you be willing to give some response to the BDX adaptive tune post? To me, unless you have some other way of measuring octane outside of the knock sensors, how can someone say they have an "adaptive tuning overlay map"? Isn't this just what's happening in the Ford software? So many times on a site like this, different vendors have some offering that sounds good marketing-wise, but isn't it just snake oil? I don't have any experience in the Ford ecu, but I do have some expertise in aftermarket systems, so unless you have some type of feedback other than detonation such as a flex fuel sensor (different ways to do this), how can anyone claim to have a tune that adjusts in real-time to various octane? Nothing will kill a motor quicker than detonation at high loads.

LokiWolf

Reactions
Technically speaking I leave all the auto octane functions in place. You could put 87 in a 93 tune and it'll turn itself down to where it would be with 87 on stock file. It's just a big swing in power and I don't want people filling up with 87 and then hammering on it leaving the gas station.

Realistically these should never see anything less that 91 octane. They can't even make decent stock numbers on 87 let alone more than stock.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Adam, excellent info! Thanks for the reminder on that.

Couldn’t agree more on the Octane! Even on Stock mapping!

Reactions
Just put the 5-Star tune on my 2021 ST.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

LokiWolf

Reactions
Just put the 5-Star tune on my 2021 ST.

How is the shifting? The 5Star tune on the ST, even on 93 Tuning has taken down several transmissions.

KegsBdry

Reactions
Hoping someone has a similar setup that can answer my question(s).

I've got a Borla S-Type exhaust and a VTA (spacer) on my BOV (not certain if it's relevant). Planning on abandoning hope for a Ford Performance tune coming out.

If I go with a 93 oct Performance tune with ZFG, does anyone know how much extra HP that'll give the ST? What's the 0-60 mph estimate?

Sorry if this is a dumb question. But this is my first tune. And this thread completely changed my mind on buying a tune!

Plus, my father and I have a running bet on whom can own the most HP in the family. ;)

LokiWolf

Reactions
Hoping someone has a similar setup that can answer my question(s).

I've got a Borla S-Type exhaust and a VTA (spacer) on my BOV (not certain if it's relevant). Planning on abandoning hope for a Ford Performance tune coming out.

If I go with a 93 oct Performance tune with ZFG, does anyone know how much extra HP that'll give the ST? What's the 0-60 mph estimate?

Sorry if this is a dumb question. But this is my first tune. And this thread completely changed my mind on buying a tune!

I am completely Stock other than ZFG tuning. 3 sets of numbers in those Dyno graphs are Stock(93 E10), ZFG(93 E10), and ZFG(E50).

Best 0-60 on 93 is 4.01, but don’t have that screenshot. So here is my 4.06.

Reactions
How is the shifting? The 5Star tune on the ST, even on 93 Tuning has taken down several transmissions.

They have two 93 tunes. I'm running the daily driver 93 tune, that their tech guy recommended. So far so good.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST

I am completely Stock other than ZFG tuning. 3 sets of numbers in those Dyno graphs are Stock(93 E10), ZFG(93 E10), and ZFG(E50).

Do you have the .drf files from those dyno runs? if so, could you post them here, or email them to me? I'm curious what the numbers would be with Correction Factor set to SAE and the Smoothing set to 5.

LokiWolf

Reactions
Do you have the .drf files from those dyno runs? if so, could you post them here, or email them to me? I'm curious what the numbers would be with Correction Factor set to SAE and the Smoothing set to 5.
Most shops do not give the actual files of the run, but PDF’s of the graphs and the numbers. 0 vs 5 on the smoothing makes Very little difference on the numbers. Here is the Smoothing set to 5.

Regardless peak number is pointless, it is gains over stock and seeing the flatness of the Torque curve. People get hung up on the peak numbers, and should be paying attention to the differences. Regardless of the Smoothing the difference is still 108 HP(rounding to the nearest whole number) on the 93 Tune ALONE. The Torque is up 119/120(The higher smoothing is actually higher difference) on the 93 tune alone.

All three of these pulls were done on the same day, on the same Dyno, within about 90 minutes total. This is an inside temperature controlled Dyno. Search for the original thread on here for it. You can see pics. This was not tuned by the shop that did the pulls. The tuning was done remotely by ZFG several states away. National Speed had another ST right after mine, that had additional mods and still made less power on their own tune.

Dyno’s are a tool. I only went and did this because I was sick of the moaning that ZFG had no Dyno numbers. Nobody can touch his Track or Dragy numbers. Proof is in the pudding!

KegsBdry

Reactions

Wow! The tune does show a real difference in HP and Torque.

Am I reading this right, it's close to 100 extra HP for the 93 oct tune.

That's it, I'm getting a tune from ZFG.

Reactions
While looking at all these tunes, is 5 star the only one that offers a extended warranty in case ford denies the claim?

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
While looking at all these tunes, is 5 star the only one that offers a extended warranty in case ford denies the claim?
To my knowledge 5 Star doesn't offer a warranty with their tune, you need to purchase a warranty (they also only will honor it if all of your other engine "bolt ons" are sold by them or Stage 3). Other outfits do this, but you might be better off speaking with your car insurance company if you have a good one or finding a supplemental insurance broker. my car insurance has a provision for "custom parts and equipment coverage". i worked with them to come up with replacement coverage for all my mods if my car gets damaged/totaled as well as a catastrophic provision if something happens to the motor or transmission due to above custom parts and equipment. all the extra stuff and stipulations only increased my premium by like 50 bucks a year. if i keep this vehicle for 5 years, it would still cost me less than 5 Star's "warranty".

don't get me wrong... i really like that they do this. you just need to make sure you read the fine print and understand that their tune is a) sometimes less aggressive than others to give them "insurance" and b) has had alot of problems with transmission tuning in the past--those issues may be solved by now though, if not, you may need that warranty, lol.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Wow! The tune does show a real difference in HP and Torque.

Am I reading this right, it's close to 100 extra HP for the 93 oct tune.

That's it, I'm getting a tune from ZFG.
Yep, it sure looks like ZFG is the top tuner for the ExpST right now.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Still wanna race me? lol
Well, yes. Yes I do. As I said, ZFG is the top tuner "right now". I know (of) Adam and he has done a few Raptors, even one with stage 4 CRP turbos. There is NO magic to tuning any vehicle though, so it really boils down to which one is willing to take the most risk, as in how much money you got, or rather how much will you spend? Simple as that. Granted, I'm still learning the new 10spd transmissions AND the HPtuners software, so that is my handicap for now. If we were to go at it "today" I would concede up front that I'm not ready, so you can bask in that, for now.