Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Best tune for 2020 Ford Explorer ST

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I think PBD has another device coming soon in addition to the RTD. I saw them post about it. The nGauge is gone for sure though.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
That makes sense... I think there would be a market for a device that doesn't require a laptop to load a different tune. I could be mistaken but it doesn't seem like HPTuners offers something like that.

Reactions
I'm sure it's somewhere in the 300 previous posts, but has anyone used the pre-loaded SCT tune that comes with their tuners? Thoughts?

https://www.sctflash.com/products/sct-category-tuners/sctbdx/3626

I used one years ago on a 2005 Lincoln LS, didn't seem to do much of anything, so I went with a custom tune.

Boss240

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST, 2012 Boss Mustang, 2019 Audi S4
Thanks for the info. Is ZFG still helping the people who are currently tuned or taking off completely for the next few months? I'd hate to get tuned and the company completely takes off for months at a time.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
ZFG is taking care of existing customers for sure. Adam will be back pretty soon...he’s working on the EO numbers for tunes to make sure the epa doesn’t crawl up his ass.

Boss240

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Gotcha. Good to know.

LokiWolf

Reactions
PBD's New device is called the UCal. It is the EXACT same piece of hardware that Livernois calls the MyCal. It is a proprietary device, and can only be used with PBD tunes. If you want to possibly get tunes from other sources, the RTD is the way to go! Much better logging, and can use tunes from many people. Only down side is the whole needing a Windows Laptop.

Boss240

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
So they are now tuning with the UCal n not the RTD? Does the UCal store the tune without the need for a laptop in the vehicle?

Boss240

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Is the UCal as good at ecu/trans tuning as the RTD?

LokiWolf

Reactions
So they are now tuning with the UCal n not the RTD? Does the UCal store the tune without the need for a laptop in the vehicle?
They have both options from what I understand.

You use a Windows computer to get the tunes to the Ucal, but you can switch without the computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LokiWolf

Reactions
Is the UCal as good at ecu/trans tuning as the RTD?
HPTuners Software has more access than most to the Transmission tables.

That said, I do not own a Ucal, and haven’t seen the back end software that it uses to see what tables it has access to.

Trans tuning is WAY more about who is doing the tuning vs the device used.

Boss240

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Thanks guys. Appreciate the help.

Boss240

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Would you say PBD is on the same level as ZFG in regards to tuning the tranny? Or could you say one is better than the other?

LokiWolf

Reactions
My IACC reads adopt a highway signs, county road signs, church signs and anything else it can find. My ST has been a POS for the last five months and crossing my fingers I get a buy back. I can set the cruise for 70 mph and it will pick up something and nosedive to 15 mph. Today I had it go from 60 mph read a county road 180 sign and speed up to 80 mph. Has been in and out of the shop for 5 months and they don't know how to fix other than turn off the feature. I have a complete laundry list of issues with this thing. I get a kick out of the dealership when they do a print out for an oil chance they need to add more printer paper everytime.
What does this have to do with Tuning?

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
My IACC reads adopt a highway signs, county road signs, church signs and anything else it can find. My ST has been a POS for the last five months and crossing my fingers I get a buy back. I can set the cruise for 70 mph and it will pick up something and nosedive to 15 mph. Today I had it go from 60 mph read a county road 180 sign and speed up to 80 mph. Has been in and out of the shop for 5 months and they don't know how to fix other than turn off the feature. I have a complete laundry list of issues with this thing. I get a kick out of the dealership when they do a print out for an oil chance they need to add more printer paper everytime.
@Oldschoolshaggy , I think you posted this in wrong thread .
Maybe Admin can move to proper thread.

Jim

Brian

Reactions
Would you say PBD is on the same level as ZFG in regards to tuning the tranny? Or could you say one is better than the other?
seems to be some miss information on here. Pbd no longer sells the nguage but they still support it. So if you were to get one they can tune your st with it. They also use the new ucal and rtd aswell. Pbd tunes and zfg are very close in performance. The transmission tuning from pbd is amazing.

LokiWolf

Reactions
seems to be some miss information on here. Pbd no longer sells the nguage but they still support it. So if you were to get one they can tune your st with it. They also use the new ucal and rtd aswell. Pbd tunes and zfg are very close in performance. The transmission tuning from pbd is amazing.
Nope, no misinformation. Statements about the NGuage were when they were still actively selling it. Most recent statements you will see I said the UCal and RTD were the available options.

Come on, you know me better than that...Haha!

You will also see I did not answer the question, as I have never ran a PBD tune.

Reactions
Sorry I was in the cruise control group when I listed this. Not sure how it ended up here.

Brian

Reactions
Nope, no misinformation. Statements about the NGuage were when they were still actively selling it. Most recent statements you will see I said the UCal and RTD were the available options.

Come on, you know me better than that...Haha!

You will also see I did not answer the question, as I have never ran a PBD tune.

I didn’t even see your comment hahah just was making a statement. I read through a couple and wanted to make sure everyone new what’s up.