Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Anyone else getting crazy good mpg?

KegsBdry

Reactions
Yes 93 Oct. Yes there was a lot hills.
Funny you should say that. I have to drive between Pittsburgh & Washington DC for work fairly often. There are a lot of hills on that drive. I am getting almost a 3mpg difference when driving there compared to driving back.

Pittsburgh Elevation: 1,370 ft

Washington DC Elevation: 409 ft

Reactions
Increased the tire pressure to 40 psi from 34 psi and mileage up to 27+ highway. Ambient temp right now runs between 74 and 85 F. When temps start getting over 90 F in summer, I will run a lower psi.

Reactions
We're stay at 19.9 mph 93 octane. 2021 with only about 500 miles or so. No real highway driving for any length of time yet. My wife takes it to work every day and it's 2 lane country roads. No major hills. her drive is about 12 minutes (lucky her) I drive on the week ends and let's just say I like to blow the carbon out :) Gonna sign up for the driving class and that should get us some real highway miles. It's about an 8 hour drive.

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Got 400 miles on it just buzzing around here in the country. 10 miles to town. 20 miles to church.
Getting 20.2 mpg according to computer. I do feel like it will do the 24 mpg on the highway.
I'll know tomorrow, 40 mile drive to big town.

Jim

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Just drove 40 miles to town.
Reset computer to 0.

When I exited it was 23.3

75 mph on 93 gas.

I'm ok , would like to see a little better.

Jim

hbalek

Reactions
Just drove 40 miles to town.
Reset computer to 0.

When I exited it was 23.3

75 mph on 93 gas.

I'm ok , would like to see a little better.

Jim
The REAL MPG is about 1.5 to 2 MPG lower than what the trip computer says on the instrument panel. Just yesterday my dash said 18.5 and actual MPG was 16.3 MPG.

hbalek

Reactions
Today I observed the best fuel economy since December 2019, when I purchased the ST. I drove 192 miles mostly highway speeds and the Trip Odometer displayed 25.2 MPG. The real MPG based on my calculation at fillup was the same for the first time ever, and even slightly higher at 25.33 MPG. My average speed on the trip was 40 mph.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I write down mileage and gallons every fill up (an old habit). I totally realize that due to vapor etc, one has to average this over time, but averages would suggest that the trip computer gas mileage does seem to be a bit optimistic.

hbalek

Reactions
I write down mileage and gallons every fill up (an old habit). I totally realize that due to vapor etc, one has to average this over time, but averages would suggest that the trip computer gas mileage does seem to be a bit optimistic.
I totally agree just this last trip the 2 averages were almost dead on. Maybe the pump cut off before totally filled up.

Reactions
Just did 3k miles over the last week 2200 were highway the rest was city driving averaged 24.6 overall. A few tanks were in the 26 range. The best tank we have seen over the last year was heading from Asheville back to Houston I made it to Meridian MS (496 miles easily had another 80 left) on one tank averaging 62 mph and that included going through ATL at lunch time..... Hypermiling a 5k pound brick helps make a trip go faster, the last picture was the first 100 miles of that tank
1627256285818.png

1627256352241.png 1627256322246.png

hbalek

Reactions
Just did 3k miles over the last week 2200 were highway the rest was city driving averaged 24.6 overall. A few tanks were in the 26 range. The best tank we have seen over the last year was heading from Asheville back to Houston I made it to Meridian MS (496 miles easily had another 80 left) on one tank averaging 62 mph and that included going through ATL at lunch time..... Hypermiling a 5k pound brick helps make a trip go faster, the last picture was the first 100 miles of that tank
View attachment 6977

View attachment 6979 View attachment 6978
Ford's trip odometer is usually off by 1.5 to 3 MPG. I usually check it my way at fill up. This time was a fluke. They were the same. It appears to be less accurate in stop and go city/suburban traffic at speeds below 30 mph.

Reactions
Ford's trip odometer is usually off by 1.5 to 3 MPG. I usually check it my way at fill up. This time was a fluke. They were the same. It appears to be less accurate in stop and go city/suburban traffic at speeds below 30 mph.
I found it varies, on my 500 mile trip the computer was .09 MPG higher than the calculated # from Autosis . I noticed mine is usually within 2 mpg of the trip computer.

If someone is paying attention close enough you get good idea what the vehicle is capable of regardless of what the trip computer is saying.

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
Averaging 19.9mpg in mixed driving with 5* 91 performance tune. Tires at 35 PSI cold. I think it's good when compared to my previous F150 3.5 ecoboost with 91oct tune.

Reactions
Best ive gotten is 25.2 MPG on a 350 mile trip with 4 passengers and luggage, easily attainable on one fill up. My daily commute, I avg 13MPG, city driving, usually no WOT involve either. My computer says 15.5 MPG,

My 18 Sport was usually off by 2-2.5 MPG as well. Similar MPG between both on city but on the highway, my Platinum wins it by far.

Reactions
I completely forgot to reset the trip when we left for Ashville. Remembered when we stopped for lunch. Woulda been a good test as it was around a 7hr drive for us. Waze said longer but I'm a lead foot. I'd guess the average highway speed was 76ish MPH. The trip did increase to 22.6 MPG from 20.8 (wife's daily driver to work and the commute is only about 12 minutes) I drive it like I stole it on the weekends.

Reactions
22.8 over 1000 miles this weekend with the PBD tune in Normal Mode.

Super G

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I did a Vegas trip from SoCal averaging 75-80mpg. Got 23mpg to Vegas, and 25 going back. NORMAL drive mode entire time. I agree the Ford trip computer (apparently algorithm based, not distance vs consumption only) is 2-3mpg optimistic than actual.

Reactions
No 65 speeed limit or greater here. 50-55 avg allowed limit gets me around 25 mpg on a regular basis. City and suburb driving gets me 17 mpg. in normal mode.

KegsBdry

Reactions
Ditto. I'm always in Sport mode.

But it's better than 7mpg that I was getting in my dodge charger when driving 24/7 in track mode. :ROFLMAO: