Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Anyone else getting crazy good mpg?

Reactions
With 3k miles on the odo, and a livernois 93 tune, I reset the odo on a road trip and noticed I was getting around 27-28-29mpg on the highway cruising at around 75. Not sure if its a fluke or if the tune is messing with the numbers somehow, as official ratings are 24 hwy. If my numbers are correct thats pretty awesome for a 400+hp 3 row!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

minuteman3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Funny you should mention this ... just took a small "road trip" down I-5 to Centralia. On the way back, I hit the Fuel Economy reset, put it in Eco mode, and this was snapped after cruising along for about an hour. This stretch of I-5 is fairly "flat" so I think it's a reasonable test of fuel mileage. I'm more than impressed!!
IMG_2419.jpeg
Cheers!!

Ken

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
I can't keep my foot out of it, so no.... I'm getting more like 13mpg.

KegsBdry

Reactions
I'm averaging in the mid-20s. But I came from a Dodge Charger Scat Pack, so I'm used to averaging 12mpg. So it's a step up. But on the Charger for long trips & in ECO mode, I'd get half the engine shutdown on flat stretches. Saved a bunch of gas. I wonder if Ford could have done that with this V6 Twin Turbo? Is that even possible?

Reactions
I get 25-26 mpg with 55-60 mph highway in standard mode, about 10% less in Sport mode. So much better than previous Explorer models that I have had.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Coming from a blown F150 getting 15.5-16 on a good day I’m stoked with my lifetime 20.2 right now. That’s at 75-90 on the highway and tons of stop and go on my commute.

rnc

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
600 miles on my ST and I’m getting 26.6 mpg with a majority highway miles at ~68 mph. Using 93 octane... Quite impressed thus far.

Reactions
I have the Livernois tune as well, according to the car with about 1700 miles on the clock I'm getting 17.5 mpg.

I rarely if ever get on the highway, so most of this is city and stop and go traffic. Honestly better than I thought it was going to be.

hbalek

Reactions
At almost 7000 miles and nearly 8 months of ownership, the best on a tankful so far was 20 MPG according to the display but my own calculation was 18.7 MPG while averaging 28 MPH of mixed driving. Yeah I'm a geek, I calculate average MPH too based on miles per trip divided by the time on the clock. LOL

Dave G ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Yes, to get a true MPG you would have to fill your tank and see how many miles you get until almost empty. The MPG indicated on your dash is using some type of algorithm based on speed and gas pedal pressure.

Reactions
Generally get around 19MPG on the gauge. 90% in sport mode.

hbalek

Reactions
Generally get around 19MPG on the gauge. 90% in sport mode.
Mine is really about 1.5-2 MPG less than what the gauge shows (18.7 MPG) at my fill up calculation. I usually average 25-28 MPH so less highway more city driving.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I'm right there with Unbroken...20.9 on mine with 70-80 highway driving but a lot of stop and go on my commute.

Reactions
Average an indicated 20-22 MPG per tank depending on what my driving is like that week. The bulk of my driving nowadays is highway commuting and a large portion of it is at low traffic hours so I can cruise and get good mileage.

Now, what the ACTUAL mpg is I don't know since I haven't gone as far as to fill the tank, run it down, record the mileage and see how much it takes to fill up etc etc, but I'm averaging in the 600-630km per tank range when doing a lot of highway and I'm GUESSING that lands me in the 20ish MPG range. Too lazy to do the conversion right now. I live in Canada, go by km for speed and distance, but measure fuel econ in MPG. Go figure.

Either way, I'm getting slightly better fuel econ than my last car, which was 1000lbs lighter, 100+ horsepower fewer, and was MORE aerodynamic than this rather brick-like ST, and yet I picked up better econ. Not complaining lol

Last edited:
Reactions
I am on my fourth generation Explorer and each time I get a new one, it has more power and much better mpg and handling. Each one had a 6 cyl. My'93 averaged about 11 mpg with 15 mpg highway. Now I average 18 mpg with 25-27 highway (55-65 mph). And it can carry and tow a bunch more. Very pleased with the progress. A few glitches but all get solved.

Reactions
20.4 in town and around 24 on the highway.

Reactions
I could certainly go test this but hoping someone already has. I have put next to no miles on my ST as my GFs Platinum continues to be in the shop and she refuses to drive the loaner when mine is sitting in the driveway lol. Has anyone compared the MPG difference over say 100+ miles between the main 3 driving modes (Normal, Eco, and Sport)? I understand it might be more how the driver is driving in each one but I assume the car changes the shift points, throttle response and whatever else.

KegsBdry

Reactions
I could certainly go test this but hoping someone already has. I have put next to no miles on my ST as my GFs Platinum continues to be in the shop and she refuses to drive the loaner when mine is sitting in the driveway lol. Has anyone compared the MPG difference over say 100+ miles between the main 3 driving modes (Normal, Eco, and Sport)? I understand it might be more how the driver is driving in each one but I assume the car changes the shift points, throttle response and whatever else.
I drove in ECO mode from Washington DC to North Carolina, I was getting close to 25 mpg. But on the way back, I drove in SPORT mode, getting around 16 mpg. I was flooring it a number of times too. Trying to stay at 79 mph whenever I could.

Normal mode, I read you only lose about 2-3 mpg off the ECO mode.

As someone that used to get an average of 8 mpg in TRACK mode on my 2017 Dodge Charger Scat Pack, I do not feel guilty at all leaving my ST in SPORT mode 'all the time'. :cool:

Reactions
When I tested, I found Sport mode, which holds the shift points longer, produced stronger acceleration and about 20% lower mileage. It also cancels the auto-stop feature which I only like in heavy traffic as it boosts the city mpg about 10-15% but can be annoying sometimes. I have not used the Eco mode.