Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Anyone else getting crazy good mpg?

Dave G ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Just tried out the Sport mode and noticed you cannot go higher than 8th gear. This will really hurt the gas mileage on the highway.

Reactions
In normal mode, touring Vermont, on 93 non-ethanol we have seen 24.6 mpg on a 15 gal. Fill up! The 2016 F-150, 5.0 with 3.55 rear, returns just over 21 mpg on the same ride.

KegsBdry

Reactions
When I tested, I found Sport mode, which holds the shift points longer, produced stronger acceleration and about 20% lower mileage. It also cancels the auto-stop feature which I only like in heavy traffic as it boosts the city mpg about 10-15% but can be annoying sometimes. I have not used the Eco mode.
I find the Eco mode a bit annoying. You basically have to learn how much further you need to push the gas pedal too accelerate. I find myself anticipating the acceleration well before the car moves. Meaning, I start leaning forward into my seat. :cautious:

OP
L
Reactions
Thread Starter #24
I drove in ECO mode from Washington DC to North Carolina, I was getting close to 25 mpg. But on the way back, I drove in SPORT mode, getting around 16 mpg. I was flooring it a number of times too. Trying to stay at 79 mph whenever I could.

Normal mode, I read you only lose about 2-3 mpg off the ECO mode.

As someone that used to get an average of 8 mpg in TRACK mode on my 2017 Dodge Charger Scat Pack, I do not feel guilty at all leaving my ST in SPORT mode 'all the time'. :cool:
True, as great as having the V8 is, Its nice getting >12mpg in my hauler and not having to fill up all the time.

Reactions
18 towing a mid weight trailer yesterday on a 4 hour round trip. 1.5k lbs. Normally get 23. But, winter is here and so are the remote starts twice a day. Mpg has dropped about 2 on average over what it was this fall.

Blackssr

Reactions
14-15 MPG average for me... I drive like it was meant to be driven. If not, I would have purchased the "Mom" version. I wish I could lock in Sport mode when starting. Love the cluster look with all info and tach.

KegsBdry

Reactions
14-15 MPG average for me... I drive like it was meant to be driven. If not, I would have purchased the "Mom" version. I wish I could lock in Sport mode when starting. Love the cluster look with all info and tach.
I too want to lock in Sport mode upon start up. It'll probably sound better on remote starts too!

Reactions
We barely got 20 with a 10-15 mph head wind yesterday doing 70-75 without the head wind we were seeing mid 23s.

On the highway assuming you are not in mountains or hills sport, eco and normal should be the same. Sport will shift into 10th once your speed is high enough I think it is 60?

hbalek

Reactions
I too want to lock in Sport mode upon start up. It'll probably sound better on remote starts too!
I doubt that it would sound different unless you're driving because that sound is fake and piped into the cabin. It always sounds like a minivan from the outside! LOL

Reactions
20.2 MPG for me on 93 octane

F=MA

Reactions
I do mainly city driving so I get 14 to 15 mpg around town. I usually lead foot it a few times a trip so no eco driving here. I have the E50 tune from ZFG and I mix 50% E85 at $1.59 per gallon and 50% 93 octane E30 at about $1.90 per gallon so fuel cost average is $1.75 per gallon for E50. My previous stock 2020 ST got about 16 mpg around town using standard 91 octane fuel at $2.50 per gallon. So over a few years the tune will pay for itself with fuel cost savings alone. IMG_0001x.JPG .

KegsBdry

Reactions
I doubt that it would sound different unless you're driving because that sound is fake and piped into the cabin. It always sounds like a minivan from the outside! LOL
Borla exhaust helps.

Reactions
With 3k miles on the odo, and a livernois 93 tune, I reset the odo on a road trip and noticed I was getting around 27-28-29mpg on the highway cruising at around 75. Not sure if its a fluke or if the tune is messing with the numbers somehow, as official ratings are 24 hwy. If my numbers are correct thats pretty awesome for a 400+hp 3 row!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
How do you reset the trip odometer?

J619SD

Reactions
Did a 5,000 Mile Round Trip Road Trip in June/July. I called it the Covid World Tour. From Valpo IN to Fort Collins CO to Park City UT, back to Fort Collins then to ST George UT to Vegas to San Diego to the Bay area to Lake Tahoe then back home. Averaged 25.5 for the entire trip. The first stretch all Highway from Valpo to Colorado I was over 28 basically Adaptive Cruise Control the entire way. Felt like I was in a Tesla. Barely did anything except keep my hands on the wheel. Love my ST.

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Just did a 125 mile trip on four lane divided road speed control was set at 68 MPH in eco mode. Got 22.9 mile per gallon.

KegsBdry

Reactions
Just did a 125 mile trip on four lane divided road speed control was set at 68 MPH in eco mode. Got 22.9 mile per gallon.
Ouch. Must of had a lot of hills. I usually get the same settings at around 25+ mpg.

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Yes 93 Oct. Yes there was a lot hills.