Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

2022 Ford Explorer Platinum ST

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
That last sentence is what ultimately got me to rethink my plans. Throwing a predator in an Explorer would have been super awesome, but at the end of the day, the entire drivetrain would have had to be replaced which would easily have put the stage 2 part of the build into the 6 figures. I seriously love the Explorer. It's a fantastic platform to be sure and so much fun to drive. The reality is, as everyone said many times over, this platform was never intended to be a 700+ awhp.
One thing I will say, I don't see people saying that they've popped their Nano 2.7's. Though they're not the same engine, there are a lot of similarities. It's not exactly a big brother/little brother relationship. They don't share many parts. My gut tells me these could run around with 100 HP less than you were seeking.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
Me too! Initially I wanted the Durango Hellcat, but the interior on the Dodges feel too plastic. We'll see how close we can get performance wise with the Explorer...hopefully without breaking the bank. I hope it'll be a fun long term project :)
I don’t know about the platinum but the ST interior is made with way more creaky cracky plastic than any Dodge I’ve ever been in. The seat is also super noisy around turns as well. The seats offer zero lateral support as well. There is no way new Durango has a cheaper interior, and certainly no way it’s worse than the Explorer even if it were cheaper.

OP
PlatinumST
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer Platinum
Thread Starter #203
I don’t know about the platinum but the ST interior is made with way more creaky cracky plastic than any Dodge I’ve ever been in. The seat is also super noisy around turns as well. The seats offer zero lateral support as well. There is no way new Durango has a cheaper interior, and certainly no way it’s worse than the Explorer even if it were cheaper.
After having test driven the Durango SRT Hellcat I found the interior to be on a whole nother level from the R/T we had test driven prior to. The Platinum has much more leather and premium materials than the lower Explorer trim levels seem to. The Hellcat appeared to be the same. No complaints on interior materials at all. I will miss the massaging seats until I find someone to remedy that for me, but the seats were comfortable and felt solid/well made. Suade headliner, leather wrapped dash, carbon trim pieces. It's no Platinum, but my initial impression is that it's up there...which one should expect given it's price point.

One thing I will say, I don't see people saying that they've popped their Nano 2.7's. Though they're not the same engine, there are a lot of similarities. It's not exactly a big brother/little brother relationship. They don't share many parts. My gut tells me these could run around with 100 HP less than you were seeking.
That is my impression as well. 550-600awhp and they'd likely be fine for the long haul. This gave me pause to lower my expectations/goals and keep this one, but ultimately I knew I wouldn't be happy. With the Durango SRT Hellcat being released for one "last" year, I figured now was the time to pull the trigger and get everything I wanted rather than buying one used down the road and settling for what was available at the time.

Last edited:

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Not gonna lie, the interior of the ST is not fantastic. Definitely has a cheaper feel about it. My wife drives MB and I am coming from top of the line trucks and full sized SUV's. It was definitely a step down in interior quality and feel IMO. Not the reason I bought is and as far as the rest of the package goes performance and value and space, I can over look the interior. Cheap interior and all I am really happy with mine so far.

Regarding the suggested limit of the motor for reliability, I would agree. I think 550-600 it tops for long term reliability. Definitely much easier to extract bigger power out of a V8 without punishing the motor. This TTV6 is quite different for me and I am liking it. Just not gonna plan on 700HP like my CTSV. I'm considering a fueling upgrade to get above where I am now but not sure I want to push it that far.

Sorry to hear the project is not continuing. I have been lurking in this thread for quite a while.

OP
PlatinumST
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #205
Not gonna lie, the interior of the ST is not fantastic. Definitely has a cheaper feel about it. My wife drives MB and I am coming from top of the line trucks and full sized SUV's. It was definitely a step down in interior quality and feel IMO.
Well some lucky duck is in luck! The Platinum ST gives you the best of both worlds. Higher quality interior from the Platinum with the performance and styling of the ST. I'm sure the ST badging could be added for those who really want that look.

I'm curious to see what, if any, speed/acceleration difference there is between the two.

Sorry to hear the project is not continuing. I have been lurking in this thread for quite a while.
Yeah...sorry about that. I'm pretty bummed as well :cry:

OP
PlatinumST
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #206
Durango was just scheduled for production. Thought it may be a good time to start marketing this guy. I'll be officially posting the Explorer for sale in a couple of weeks. Just have a few final details to finish and I'll get some professional pictures taken. Please let me know if you know anyone who would be interested or have any questions. TIA

https://www.explorerst.org/threads/2022-explorer-platinum-st.5088/

Last edited:
OP
PlatinumST
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #207
TLDR (Too Long; Didn't Read):
Didn't love the Hellcat Durango, missed the Explorer. The cost of a vehicle that combined all positive points of both vehicles plus additional mods seemed a bit extra. Decided to sell the Hellcat Durango and keep the Explorer. Business growth goals will limit my time and budget to continue modding, but I will do what I can, when I can.

TEVV (The Extended, Verbose Version):
This Explorer has by far been one of my favorite vehicles to date. As such, I couldn't really put my heart into selling it and thus my efforts were pretty lackluster. While I love the savage launches, deep V8 rumble, and supercharger whine of the Hellcat Durango, the interior and tech make me miss the Explorer all the more.
I LOVE how the Explorer looks, sounds, rides, the higher quality interior, and all the tech. Not to mention the massaging seats (never could find anyone willing to help retrofit the Durango seats).

Then came the forcasting and planning for my company and some lofty growth goals were set. Growth is expensive and takes cash so I decided I would sell both the Explorer and Durango. Short term sacrifice and then once goals were met in 2-3 years I would get something else.

This made me wonder if a vehicle existed with the good looks, high quality interior, and tech of a blacked out Platinum Explorer combined with a more powerful, robust engine and drive train of an AWD Hellcat. What I found was the Audi RS Q8. Sleek appearance (in my opinion), twin turbo 4.0 V8 with 591HP stock (up to 868awhp with a simple tune) and a full featured interior with all the tech and more of the Platinum Explorer. At first I loved and was excited at the idea. Then I really started to think about it. You can't really debadge an Audi RS Q8 and achieve the incognitoeque look I like. The percieved stigma isn't what I want either. At a $150k price tag with an estimated $50k in mods to get it where I would want it seemed a bit extra and I'd likely feel embarrassed by how extra it is. In addition, how often would I really have the opportunity to use the extra power?

Then I remembered how much I love the Explorer. If I had to do it all over again, I would get another Platinum or KR Explorer and do the same thing as before...minus all the unfortunate trial and error experiences that didn't turn out as hoped. The Explorer platform and support for it has come a long way even in just the past year and I forsee it's only going to keep growing. The Explorer is common enough in this area that most people won't know what I have, so it's more incognito like I prefer. With all this in mind I decided I would just sell the Durango and keep the Explorer. With the lofty business growth goals, both my time and budget will be limited for a year or two, but I'll keep doing what I can, when I can. If you read to this point, you deserve a gold star!

OP
PlatinumST
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #208
I'm previous posts I eluded to some parts Brett @ FenFab was fabricating for me and I failed to post pictures, so here they are. Please don't mind the filthy engine bay :oops: For some reason, it won't let me add the pictures in line with the text.

Attachments

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I get the occasional itch for something else then I’ll see the ST at that front 3/4 angle I love…and see the things I still wanna finish I there’s just no way I could get rid of it. It’s pretty ridiculous…it’s just a damned Ford Explorer but I absolutely love this car.
I don’t blame you a bit for keeping it.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
@PlatinumST I'm glad to see you hanging around again. Wouldn't be surprised if we have crossed past somewhere in the Provo/Orem area.

OP
PlatinumST
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #211
I get the occasional itch for something else then I’ll see the ST at that front 3/4 angle I love…and see the things I still wanna finish I there’s just no way I could get rid of it. It’s pretty ridiculous…it’s just a damned Ford Explorer but I absolutely love this car.
I don’t blame you a bit for keeping it.
It's just such a great looking vehicle, and really great vehicle all around.

On a separate note, what oil did you use for your reoiled blue S&B filters?

OP
PlatinumST
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #212
@PlatinumST I'm glad to see you hanging around again. Wouldn't be surprised if we have crossed past somewhere in the Provo/Orem area.
Thank you glad to be back. I haven't driven the Explorer in far too long. It's at the body shop getting some warranty clear cost fixes from Ford. Hope to have it back really soon! We should see if there is any interest in a Utah meetup. Might be fun to grab a bite and compare notes.

Reactions
Interesting to hear that you prefer the tech on the Explorer. Sync 3 IMO is one of the worst and slowest auto UI vs the rest of the top auto makers. Dodge's UI is certainly one of the best, fastest, and easiest to use. I do love my massagers though lol

Did the Durango drive much harsher?

OP
PlatinumST
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #214
Interesting to hear that you prefer the tech on the Explorer. Sync 3 IMO is one of the worst and slowest auto UI vs the rest of the top auto makers. Dodge's UI is certainly one of the best, fastest, and easiest to use. I do love my massagers though lol

Did the Durango drive much harsher?
Aside from the V8 rumble, supercharger wine, and raw power, the wireless android auto and really entire infotainment center will definitely be missed.

The drive really depend on my performance settings. It could be softish or harsh depending on what I wanted. They performance pages are definitely legit along with all the options to set three engine power, transmission shifting, suspension, etc.