Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

2022 Ford Explorer Platinum ST

OP
PlatinumST
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer Platinum
Thread Starter #181
yeah, let me know. I had to have Adam build me a new tune for 91 because my 93 and E50 tunes were proving impossible to deal with out here. fueling was the BIGGEST pain the butt. I am missing ethanol too--the difference really is quite stark.
The Provo location doesn't have E85. I talked with someone with the gas stations' corporate and found the E70 at Orem is blended for FlexFuel vehicle, and not intended as race fuel. Not sure if this is common, but it's mixed with 87 octane. They do sell E95 in bulk, and Good Looking Dave's in Salt Lake (4580 Commerce Dr in Murray) sells it by the gallon, but seems to have a decent upcharge. I may look into getting some tanks and buying the E95 in bulk and blending my own mixtures.

OP
PlatinumST
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #182
So there was this one time the dealer called me and said "Hey! We finally have all your parts! When can you bring your Explorer in so we can get everything installed?" Brought it in on a Monday and found out later that week that they were missing one of the axels. Big bummer, but stuff happens. No big deal. They apologized and said they'd take care of me.

A month or so to buy and I get another call. Hey! We finally have all your parts! We double checked and really have everything this time. When can you bring your Explorer in so we can get everything installed?" Brought it in this past Monday and everyone was stoked. Monday and part of Tuesday were spent diagnosing the CEL. Tuesday afternoon they started work on the roof rack delete and axles, etc.

This afternoon I get a call from the service writer who lets me know that I can come pickup the Explorer and that the accessories manager who is handling all the extras would like to talk to me. I had sent him a few text messages with requests to take pictures so I could document everything on here, but he never responded. I gave him a call and found out they ordered the wrong axles. The diffs were correct, but the axles didn't fit. Apparently the accessories manager and service manager didn't want to perform this work in the first place, but since the salesmen sold it, and the parts guy and service writer had quoted it they would go ahead and do it anyway. When they found the wrong axles had been ordered they put everything back together again in stock form. I was told this job is too complicated for them and they won't do it and I should find a performance shop to do it for me. Big bummer to be sure. I asked if they had been able to swap out the rear cross member since they had it all apart, but they didn't. Not sure why not. Yet another bummer. They were, however, able to delete the roof rack. They also quoted it wring and in my favor. Much to their credit, they honored the quote. They also installed the SPD DPs, so all was not for naught. They forgot to ceramic coat and install the PPF which will be fine by Tuesday.

I'm pretty excited to get it back and see how it looks without the roof rack and hear how much nicer it'll sound with the DPs. Should be a good time.

As for the rear cross member and axle/diff swap, I haven't given up! I'll get the parts list of what they ordered and will cross reference it against what they should have ordered. I'll just need to get VINs for the ST, Timberline, and PIU to ensure I get all the right part numbers so I can get the correct parts ordered. I'll then have one of two performance shops do the work for me. Sadly they're currently scheduled out to January/February at the earliest. With all the snow and cold weather we've been having I wouldn't have been able to race it anyway, so no big deal. We'll get there yet! We'll have to see what hair brained ideas I come up with in the mean time. Maybe I'll get the P4 custom gauge and ethanol sensor installed like Unbroken so I can be ready for the ZFG tune in the spring.

Fun times ahead!

OP
PlatinumST
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #183
So I went to pickup the Explorer from the dealer yesterday after ceramic and PPF and found more silver lining. Whoever quoted out the roof rack delete thought it was a top only access and didn't account for the time to remove the headline. They still honored the pricing, so I got it deleted for pretty cheap. Also, when they installed the DPs they only charged me 3 hours, so that's another win.

OP
PlatinumST
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #184
We've gotten a fair deal of snow recently. With the Explorer having been at the dealer, I haven't had to drive in yet, which is great since I'm still running summer tires. Ordered a set of Konig Oversteer in 20X9.5 ET25 in Gloss Black. Mostly since I couldn't find much that was available this year. I chose the Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 in a 275/50 to go with them. Should give a bit more sidewall in case of the accidental curb bump. I must admit, I like the price of these tires a whole lot more than the 315/35R22 :ROFLMAO:

Reactions
Are you keeping a cost spreadsheet? This will be the most expensive Explorer ever! :)

OP
PlatinumST
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #186
Are you keeping a cost spreadsheet? This will be the most expensive Explorer ever! :)
Nah...ignorance is bliss. :LOL: I'm pretty sure there are plenty of others out there who have more into their's than I do. I'll bet @UNBROKEN has more in audio equipment alone than I do overall :geek:

OP
PlatinumST
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #187
When I had the tire shop install the new winter wheels/tires, I asked them to check the rear axle install and alignment because it felt funny, especially on snow. Dealer said there was no need to realign after they put the axle back on, but that sounded wrong. The alignment came back to show that the rears were toed in pretty badly. After the realignment and snow tires, it feels great again. It sure is fun to drive! Can't wait for the tunes in the spring!
20221218_111829.jpg

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
When I had the tire shop install the new winter wheels/tires, I asked them to check the rear axle install and alignment because it felt funny, especially on snow. Dealer said there was no need to realign after they put the axle back on, but that sounded wrong. The alignment came back to show that the rears were toed in pretty badly. After the realignment and snow tires, it feels great again. It sure is fun to drive! Can't wait for the tunes in the spring!
View attachment 15665
Looks good. what tune you going with?
Also side note its like 40 here and i am cold lol but I am wearing shorts and a hoodie. I dont thing I could handle Utah in the winter, lol
You anywhere near WIllard? There is a Hummer builder up there I am going to see this summer.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
It was up to 15 degrees here in North/Central Utah this morning. Supposed to go down to 5 degrees over the next few days according to my weather app.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Nah...ignorance is bliss. :LOL: I'm pretty sure there are plenty of others out there who have more into their's than I do. I'll bet @UNBROKEN has more in audio equipment alone than I do overall :geek:
Don’t remind me. lol

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
It was up to 15 degrees here in North/Central Utah this morning. Supposed to go down to 5 degrees over the next few days according to my weather app.
Forecast is a high of -14F on Wednesday with windchills downwards of -50F in Billings. This week is going to be frigid

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Burrrr.

OP
PlatinumST
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #193
Looks good. what tune you going with?
I'll probably start with the ZFG 91 octane and once that's dialed in, I'll get the ZFG E50.

You anywhere near WIllard? There is a Hummer builder up there I am going to see this summer.
Nah, I'm down in Utah County. I'll be up near Willard tomorrow though. Logan, which isn't too far from Willard, is where it's really cold! Utah County is somewhat milder.

Last edited:
OP
PlatinumST
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #194
I think I've come to the sad realization that this platform won't realistically be able to attain the power numbers I want to get to and still maintain some semblance of long term reliability. I know many have said this from the beginning, but it usually takes quite a bit to penetrate my thick skull. It will be much more reasonable to get a nicer interior in a different platform rather than replace the entire drivetrain on the Explorer. As such, I'll be cutting my losses and will be selling this beast. :cry::cry:

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I'm not sure I've ever seen what your "power numbers" are- but I was enthusiastically watching your progress. I don't think it's any stretch to build a 600 HP ST on gasoline, although you did start with the Platinum. However, if you were looking for a lot more than that, it's hard to do with 3 liters.

Any idea what you're moving onto?

OP
PlatinumST
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #196
I'm not sure I've ever seen what your "power numbers" are- but I was enthusiastically watching your progress. I don't think it's any stretch to build a 600 HP ST on gasoline, although you did start with the Platinum. However, if you were looking for a lot more than that, it's hard to do with 3 liters.
I was looking to be north of 700awhp. I think it's possible to get there, but I don't think the engine would stay together long term.

Any idea what you're moving onto?
I'm considering the 2021 or 2023 Dodge Durango SRT Hellcat or a 2020-2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee TrackHawk.

Last edited:

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Just FYI, for others out there- it is extremely difficult (read expensive) to build a street-able engine with over 200hp/liter on pump gas. Can it be done? Absolutely, but then you need much higher rev limits and/or fuels other than gasoline.

It's easy to see that a 6.2 liter supercharged engine producing 707 hp is pretty much an underachiever compared to the ST on a HP/liter comparison. But the reality is that overcoming an extra 3.2 liters of displacement is awfully difficult. For ST owners, be content with better braking, handling, and gas mileage!

That being said, I, for one will be sorry to see you go!

Last edited:

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I think I've come to the sad realization that this platform won't realistically be able to attain the power numbers I want to get to and still maintain some semblance of long term reliability. I know many have said this from the beginning... :cry::cry:
You and I had this discussion. ;)

I too will be sorry to see your project shelved. I don't say it often, but I really wanted you to prove me wrong. I have been reading on the EcoBoost truck forum that they had at least 2 of the Nanos (2.7's) producing 700 HP and turning good numbers. That said, who knows how long they will stay together.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Sorry to hear the project is being shelved as it certainly was interesting to follow but understand.

OP
PlatinumST
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #200
You and I had this discussion. ;)
We sure did. I had this discussion with a lot of people :ROFLMAO: Like I said, it usually takes a lot to penetrate my thick skull.

I too will be sorry to see your project shelved. I don't say it often, but I really wanted you to prove me wrong.
I too wanted to prove everyone wrong. :( lol

I have been reading on the EcoBoost truck forum that they had at least 2 of the Nanos (2.7's) producing 700 HP and turning good numbers. That said, who knows how long they will stay together.
That last sentence is what ultimately got me to rethink my plans. Throwing a predator in an Explorer would have been super awesome, but at the end of the day, the entire drivetrain would have had to be replaced which would easily have put the stage 2 part of the build into the 6 figures. I seriously love the Explorer. It's a fantastic platform to be sure and so much fun to drive. The reality is, as everyone said many times over, this platform was never intended to be a 700+ awhp.

AS mentioned above, I'll be selling my Platinum ST. I'll be posting some pictures as soon as I get some custom parts from Brett @ FenFab. Pretty stoked to be sure! Please let me know if you know of anyone who may be interested. Happy to pay out a commission as well :)

I've officially placed an order for the 2023 Dodge Durango SRT Hellcat and have started poking around to try to find a good forum to learn from, like I have here, but have come up empty. You all have set the bar freakishly high!

With that being said, I'm sorely going to miss this forum and it's members with their breadth of knowledge and willingness to share and collaborate. I'll still poke my head in periodically to read about all the fun things people are doing. The Good Clean Humor thread is a must read as well.