Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

SLD 2022 Explorer Platinum ST

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer Platinum
2022 Explorer Platinum ST
16.5k miles
Black on black
Captains chairs in middle row
Fully optioned except rear entertainment
20221218_144303.jpg
View attachment Front Driver.jpg
View attachment Thin Blue Line.jpg
View attachment Engine Bay.jpg
View attachment Front Cabin.jpg
View attachment Rear.jpg
View attachment Rear Spring.jpg

(more pictures available upon request)

Exterior Cosmetics
Roof rail delete
ST trim all around
Blacked out grill
Custom Black/Velocity Blue Ford emblems
5% windshield ceramic tint strip
35% ceramic tint all around
Ford blue painted calipers
Medium tint ring on headlights
Medium tint on fog lights
Medium tint on mirror turn signals
Medium tint on rear reflectors
Medium tint on tail lights
Dark tint on reverse/rear turn signals
LED reverse/rear turn signals
LED license plate lights
Thin blue line American flag on rear side windows
Blue door handle inserts to match the blue line on flag
PPF on front end, A pillars and roof from windshield to plank sunroof
Color correction and ceramic coating

Interior Cosmetics
Blue "Explorer" brake/gas pedal covers
Blue vinyl dash accents (matching blue line and door handle inserts)
Blue vinyl inlay on lower steering wheel (also matching blue line and door handle inserts)
Center console vault
Custom mounted iOttie wireless charging phone dock next to 10.1" infotainment screen

Wheels/Tires
Summer
Velgen VF5 22x10.5 ET35
Pirelli Scorpion P-Zero 315/30R22
Winter
Königs Oversteer 20x9.5 ET25
Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 275/50R20

Suspension
Steeda lowering springs in Steeda blue
Steeda shocks in Steeda blue
Steeda struts in Steeda blue
Steeda rear sway bar in Steeda blue

Exhaust
SPD 3" catted performance down pipes coated in black Cerakote
2.5" Thermal R&D performance exhaust Thermal 2.5" mid pipes

Under the Hood
Redline Racing QuickLift Elite hood struts
Whipple Mega Cooler Intercooler
aFe Momentum GT cold air intake in Aztek Blue w/dry filters
Custom aFe "Black Panther" strut tower brace in Aztek Blue with black back plate by FenFab
Custom FenFab "Black Panther" ECU cover in Aztek Blue w/black back plate
FenFab coolant tank in Aztek Blue
FenFab custom "Black Panther" coolant cap cover in black
FenFab charge pipe in Aztek Blue
TurboSmart RacePort blow off valve
UPR dual valve oil catch can with braided lines

Tune
HP Tuners RTD3 with 4 credits (not applied)
ZFG Racing custom tune (not applied)

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions
I guess I'll be the guy..... be more realistic with your price, I'll eat my hat if somebody buys this for 80k but this is wild man. I understand it might cost 80k to build this but mods return cents on the dollar not the whole dollar.

Imo I would part out as much as you can and try to get it back to stock, that would probably be the easiest way to expand your pool of buyers for the vehicle and the aftermarket parts.

Best of luck

OP
PlatinumST
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #3
I guess I'll be the guy..... be more realistic with your price, I'll eat my hat if somebody buys this for 80k but this is wild man. I understand it might cost 80k to build this but mods return cents on the dollar not the whole dollar.

Imo I would part out as much as you can and try to get it back to stock, that would probably be the easiest way to expand your pool of buyers for the vehicle and the aftermarket parts.

Best of luck
lol thanks for being that guy. I may end up putting it back to as close to stock as I can but wanted to give it a shot at selling as it stands. Considering that at stock, used 22 Platinums are going for $55-60k, what is the general consensus as to what it's worth as it sits? How many cents per dollar should I expect on mods. I'm into it well over $80k. I understand that I'll be taking a loss, it is what it is, but for how much should I expect to reasonably sell this. I don't want to rip anyone off, but I also don't want to give it away. Very open to thoughts and opinions. Thank you all.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Typically mods don’t add any value and may reduce the value.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
You have the same problem that everyone has that modifies a vehicle. Getting your money back out! What everyone should remember is that your mods might not be the mods someone else would make. You really only have two choices- continue on with your build- have it be well known and then maybe someone who wants it will give you the $80k you're seeking. Take @UNBROKEN's ride for example. He has a lot of really great performance mods and it's a well executed and well known vehicle, right? But how many people are going to want to give him the beau coup bucks he's got just in the stereo? I'm sure there's a buyer but it's a pretty rarefied market.

The second option is to return it to "semi-stock" and then piecemeal out your mods as best as possible. That's the route most people take.

For example, a lot of the "dress up" stuff can probably be sold easily- as well as the wheels/tires. Hardly worth trying to remove the steeda suspension or the downpipes although the exhaust itself probably has value. You'll have to look at it critically.

I'm not being negative, just trying to help.

Last edited:

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Typically mods don’t add any value and may reduce the value.
This is a crap statement. I’ve sold more highly modded vehicles than most and 100% of the time they went for substantially more than a similar stock vehicle. Dealers might not mess with you but private sale…mods can definitely add value.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
You have the same problem that everyone has that modifies a vehicle. Getting your money back out! What everyone should remember is that your mods might not be the mods someone else would make. You really only have two choices- continue on with your build- have it be well known and then maybe someone who wants it will give you the $80k you're seeking. Take @UNBROKEN's ride for example. He has a lot of really great performance mods and it's a well executed and well known vehicle, right? But how many people are going to want to give him the beau coup bucks he's got just in the stereo? I'm sure there's a buyer but it's a pretty rarefied market.

The second option is to return it to "semi-stock" and then piecemeal out your mods as best as possible. That's the route most people take.

For example, a lot of the "dress up" stuff can probably be sold easily- as well as the wheels/tires. Hardly worth trying to remove the steeda suspension or the downpipes although the exhaust itself probably has value. You'll have to look at it critically.

You basically hit the nail on the head…there’s a buyer but it’s a small market. As long as you’re willing to play the long game and wait it out there’s always a buyer. You just have to get the car out to as many places as possible from websites to FB groups to local groups and anywhere else you can come up with.
I’d start about where he’s at but have my real selling price in mind…probably 70K with his car and mod list.

Reactions
What's a Platinum ST?

OP
PlatinumST
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #9

Thank you for your thoughts. Didn't take it negatively at all. Those are the facts.

You basically hit the nail on the head…there’s a buyer but it’s a small market. As long as you’re willing to play the long game and wait it out there’s always a buyer. You just have to get the car out to as many places as possible from websites to FB groups to local groups and anywhere else you can come up with.
I’d start about where he’s at but have my real selling price in mind…probably 70K with his car and mod list.
Thanks for the feedback. That's kinda what I was counting on. I'm glad to hear that I'm not completely off base in my thinking and asking price. In your opinion, would professional photography help it sell?

What's a Platinum ST?
It's really a Platinum but due to a series of (un)fortunate events, I swapped out all of the Platinum exterior trim pieces with that from the ST, so, short the ST badging, it looks like an ST. The modifications I've made also fall more in line with what everyone here has done to their STs. I just wanted the bougie interior from the Platinum, but the looks and performance of the ST. :geek:

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I’ve never paid for any pro photos but some nice shots of all the details go a long way…and stop a lot of questions.

V3nom3nom

Nurse
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Interested in 22”s

OP
PlatinumST
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #12
Interested in 22”s
I'll let you know if I decide to part it out. Thank you :giggle:

Reactions
lol thanks for being that guy. I may end up putting it back to as close to stock as I can but wanted to give it a shot at selling as it stands. Considering that at stock, used 22 Platinums are going for $55-60k, what is the general consensus as to what it's worth as it sits? How many cents per dollar should I expect on mods. I'm into it well over $80k. I understand that I'll be taking a loss, it is what it is, but for how much should I expect to reasonably sell this. I don't want to rip anyone off, but I also don't want to give it away. Very open to thoughts and opinions. Thank you all.
Wheels/tires are an easy place to start, if you have the stock wheels and tires just return it to stock and there's definitely buyers for both sets of wheels/tires. If you don't have the stock combo just sell one set with the car and sell the other set on their own.

Built as is you could probably expect 65-70k.

You would have to do the math but I think you might be able to get more out of a part out than selling as-is. I would just explore both options.

The issue I see with a lot of builds is people mod it how they like it, a lot of the cosmetics in fact most of them return 0 money, the phone mount has some value, ceramic tint if people know what they're looking at. If you had listed ceramic coat or ppf odds are people would be more interested in that.

Lastly I would put this car up for sale on every explorer forum and Facebook group, maybe even other ford groups. Exposure is everything, you need and want more people to see the car besides the normal places. I think the car is tastefully modded, a bit odd you went the route of platinum but you did give your reasoning up there and it's understandable.

Best of luck with the sale.

Reactions
This is a crap statement. I’ve sold more highly modded vehicles than most and 100% of the time they went for substantially more than a similar stock vehicle. Dealers might not mess with you but private sale…mods can definitely add value.
The issue with modded cars is you narrow your potential list of buyers, so either you have to sit and be patient which most can't do or eat the cost of the mods and take a loss.

Make no mistake about it if you mod the car chances are you are taking a loss in some shape or form, which is something else that's hard to do for people.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
The issue with modded cars is you narrow your potential list of buyers, so either you have to sit and be patient which most can't do or eat the cost of the mods and take a loss.

Make no mistake about it if you mod the car chances are you are taking a loss in some shape or form, which is something else that's hard to do for people.
You’ll take a loss…but the guy I quoted was basically saying it’s a 100% loss and that’s a bullshit statement. Everything else you said…I already said in this thread.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I regularly log into Bring-a-Trailer. (bat.com) They are an online auction site. One thing I've found particularly interesting is that tastefully modded vehicles sometimes bring in a lot more money than one would expect. There is definitely a market for modified vehicles done correctly. On the other hand, poorly modified, clapped out examples that scream, "I was owned and modified by a kid with poor taste." get killed. (A lot of WRXs seem to fall into this category for some reason). Some of the most amazing examples are resto-mods. A really nice stock '67 vette might bring in 6 figures depending on the options, but there is a '67 vette on the site currently with an LS transplant, big brakes, and 6 speed which last I looked was nearing $200k.

Last edited:
Reactions
You’ll take a loss…but the guy I quoted was basically saying it’s a 100% loss and that’s a bullshit statement. Everything else you said…I already said in this thread.
Yeah I wouldn't go as far as saying they devalue your vehicle but they usually don't return what people think they do.

Reactions
I regularly log into Bring-a-Trailer. (bat.com) They are an online auction site. One thing I've found particularly interesting is that tastefully modded vehicles sometimes bring in a lot more money than one would expect. There is definitely a market for modified vehicles done correctly. On the other hand, poorly modified, clapped out examples that scream, "I was owned and modified by a kid with poor taste." get killed. (A lot of WRXs seem to fall into this category for some reason). Some of the most amazing examples are resto-mods. A really nice stock '67 vette might bring in 6 figures depending on the options, but there is a '67 vette on the site currently with an LS transplant, big brakes, and 6 speed which last I looked was nearing $200k.
I love looking at that auction site.

OP
PlatinumST
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #19
@UNBROKEN, @TMac, @2PAC ,Thanks for the feedback. I will be taking a loss. The only question is how much of a loss. :ROFLMAO:
I've been considering posting it on BaT, Cars and Bids, classifieds and the various Explorer forums/groups. Worst case scenario, I sell the wheels, exhaust and under the hood mods separately. I've got time. Likely be at least a month or two, if not longer, before I take possession of the Durango.
Thanks again :geek:

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
If you decide to part it out, I might be interested in your winter wheel/tire setup and can meet up to take them off your hands. The only condition would be that the 20" wheels fit over my BBK.