Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

2022 Ford Explorer Platinum ST

OP
PlatinumST
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer Platinum
Thread Starter #122
Also, does anyone know what the difference is in the rear cross member for the Interceptor vs ST/Platinum/etc?
@Cruising68, Is there a reason you went with the -F vs the -A? I believe the -A is the PIU version.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
@Cruising68, Is there a reason you went with the -F vs the -A? I believe the -A is the PIU version.
I got the -F from a thread here. Can't remember the member but he bought one and it was correct and I didn't want to screw up a non-returnable order. Not sure what if any difference there is for the PIU. I know they have to be able to sustain a 70MPH rear end collision so there may be some extra beef in there but to be honest I couldn't see how or why. It is a huge piece of steel.

OP
PlatinumST
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #124
I got the -F from a thread here. Can't remember the member but he bought one and it was correct and I didn't want to screw up a non-returnable order.
Sounds reasonable... Is the full part number you got MB5Z-5035-F?

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Sounds reasonable... Is the full part number you got MB5Z-5035-F?
I take that back, I am mistaken. I just checked my receipt and it was for a MB5Z-5035-E. It was $1500 delivered from Sunrise Ford.

Sorry for the bad info.

OP
PlatinumST
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #126
I take that back, I am mistaken. I just checked my receipt and it was for a MB5Z-5035-E. It was $1500 delivered from Sunrise Ford.

Sorry for the bad info.
No worries. Thanks for confirming/clarifying.

OP
PlatinumST
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #129
You’re missing 2 part numbers. The front retainers that are under the rails/delete panels have to be swapped out as well.
I love it when enthusiasts know more than the dealership! Thanks for catching that. Would you happen to have part numbers for those retainers?

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
After seeing what Cruising went through, I honestly can't see anyone else doing the sawp. Looks like a mechanical nightmare ...

OP
PlatinumST
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #131
After seeing what Cruising went through, I honestly can't see anyone else doing the sawp.Looks like a mechanical nightmare ...
I couldn't agree more! That is WAY outside of my capabilities! The dealership will be doing it while they're replacing the axles. I'll also have them replace the springs, shocks, struts, and rear sway bar at the same time. The Explorer will then get new tires/wheels and alignment.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I love it when enthusiasts know more than the dealership! Thanks for catching that. Would you happen to have part numbers for those retainers?
Unfortunately I don’t. I used to…but that info is long gone.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
785002 LH & RH. Same PN and pic, just a call-out for Left and Right Hand side.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
After seeing what Cruising went through, I honestly can't see anyone else doing the sawp. Looks like a mechanical nightmare ...

Come on now, there are TONS of people out there with better mechanical skills than me. Ever watch Hot Rod Garage:LOL: It was a challenge for sure but it was just like taking a puzzle apart and putting it back together except it was nuts and bolts.

OP
PlatinumST
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #135
785002 LH & RH. Same PN and pic, just a call-out for Left and Right Hand side.
Thank you!

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Come on now, there are TONS of people out there with better mechanical skills than me ...
Sorry, but I think you accomplished what very few others will even attempt. Including me!

OP
PlatinumST
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #137
I FINALLY got the Explorer back from the paint shop. Turns out the owner has gone from being a solo shop to hiring a few employees and is suffering from growing pains. Running a business is so much easier before hiring employees. Overall it turned out great despite the rocky start and long wait. There are a few things he'll fix after I bring it back...QC lessons learned.

20220618_193100.jpg
I think it looks SOOO much better without an the "chrome" everywhere. Roof rack should be coming off soon and wheels and tires will be replaced after the axles and rear subframe are replaced. Hope this will happen within the next week or two.

20220618_193130.jpg
I really like how the grill turned out. This also highlights the need for the headlight/auxillary light tinting. Need to watch a few videos and get it done!

20220618_193114.jpg
I really love how the emblem turned out! The velocity blue really pops!

20220618_193217.jpg 20220618_193209.jpg
20220618_194856.jpg
Added a few more accents in velocity blue as well.

Went to my brothers house and used his lift to install the Thermal R&D mid pipes and exhaust, Steeda rear sway bar and aFe CAI this afternoon.

20220618_121703.jpg
I always thought these things had a lot of cargo room...

20220618_193019.jpg
I really like how the bigger, black tips look. And the exhaust sound? Even without the down pipes, it sounds amazing! I've heard a lot of sound clips and even heard others say they didn't do it justice. I now know what they were taking about! Now I need to get into ForScan and disable the FENG...

20220618_193046.jpg
I had the aFe CAI painted to match FenFab's Aztec Blue. I think it turned out really nicely. Adds a bit of visual interest over the black plastic.

I've got the Steeda strut tower brace in black. I'm trying to decide if I should a) powder coat it to match, b) sell it and get the Steeda blue, OR, c) sell it and wait for the aFe strut tower brace and then powder coat it in Aztec Blue to match instead...

I think all that's left before starting on the ZFG tune is to get the SPD down pipes installed.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I think it looks SOOO much better without an the "chrome" everywhere.
Of course it does! That's why the rest of us got the Esssssssssss Teeeeeeeeee. Lol

Roof rack should be coming off soon ...
I originally thought the dealer ordered roof rack was a waste of $$.
But now that I use it to stabilize myself when standing on the foot well to wash the roof, I'd never get a SUV without it.

wheels and tires will be replaced after the axles and rear subframe are replaced...
And now you've built yourself ... A NEW CAR!;)

I live vicariously through you. Enjoy your ride.:)

OP
PlatinumST
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #139
Of course it does! That's why the rest of us got the Esssssssssss Teeeeeeeeee. Lol
And here I thought you all got the Esssssssssss Teeeeeeeeee for the performance. :unsure: Note to self, Esssssssssss Teeeeeeeeee owners bought they're Explorers because of the black trim. Performance is secondary. Got it, thanks for the clarification! ;)

And now you've built yourself ... A NEW CAR!;)
LOL There are still plenty of parts that can be replaced: transmission, turbos/waste gates, injectors, fuel pump, etc., etc. Just look at Kevin's ride...

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I FINALLY got the Explorer back from the paint shop. Turns out the owner has gone from being a solo shop to hiring a few employees and is suffering from growing pains. Running a business is so much easier before hiring employees. Overall it turned out great despite the rocky start and long wait. There are a few things he'll fix after I bring it back...QC lessons learned.

View attachment 13014
I think it looks SOOO much better without an the "chrome" everywhere. Roof rack should be coming off soon and wheels and tires will be replaced after the axles and rear subframe are replaced. Hope this will happen within the next week or two.

View attachment 13015
I really like how the grill turned out. This also highlights the need for the headlight/auxillary light tinting. Need to watch a few videos and get it done!

View attachment 13016
I really love how the emblem turned out! The velocity blue really pops!

View attachment 13017 View attachment 13018
View attachment 13019
Added a few more accents in velocity blue as well.

Went to my brothers house and used his lift to install the Thermal R&D mid pipes and exhaust, Steeda rear sway bar and aFe CAI this afternoon.

View attachment 13013
I always thought these things had a lot of cargo room...

View attachment 13020
I really like how the bigger, black tips look. And the exhaust sound? Even without the down pipes, it sounds amazing! I've heard a lot of sound clips and even heard others say they didn't do it justice. I now know what they were taking about! Now I need to get into ForScan and disable the FENG...

View attachment 13021
I had the aFe CAI painted to match FenFab's Aztec Blue. I think it turned out really nicely. Adds a bit of visual interest over the black plastic.

I've got the Steeda strut tower brace in black. I'm trying to decide if I should a) powder coat it to match, b) sell it and get the Steeda blue, OR, c) sell it and wait for the aFe strut tower brace and then powder coat it in Aztec Blue to match instead...

I think all that's left before starting on the ZFG tune is to get the SPD down pipes installed.
Just FYI, in my opinion- don't bother with the downpipes until you decide to change out the turbos. At this point, they won't make any real difference (10hp?) and you'll save a lot of money on the install by doing both at the same time.

Have you ordered the Timberline rear diff yet?