Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

2022 Ford Explorer Platinum ST

OP
PlatinumST
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer Platinum
Thread Starter #101
Sometimes things just don't go as smoothly as one would hope...
20220603_201915.jpg 20220603_201921.jpg
Better now than later I suppose...

OP
PlatinumST
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #103
ouch.... what happened?
Paint didn't cure properly and bubbled/peeled. Considering all the pieces they sanded and painted, 2 mishaps doesn't seem too terrible. Or am I being too chill about it all?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Paint didn't cure properly and bubbled/peeled. Considering all the pieces they sanded and painted, 2 mishaps doesn't seem too terrible. Or am I being too chill about it all?
You're being too chill IMO....

OP
PlatinumST
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #105
You're being too chill IMO....
I figure they're going to make it right, so no big deal.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I'm sorry to see you have these issues. I'm not a Fear-Monger but sadly, that would have me looking over my shoulder for as long as I owned those pieces.

OP
PlatinumST
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #107
I'm sorry to see you have these issues. I'm not a Fear-Monger but sadly, that would have me looking over my shoulder for as long as I owned those pieces.
I'll keep an eye on it. They'll redo it on their dime if it happens again...

Reactions
Looks like they needed an adhesion promotor or a better one for the plastic. I would ask and tell them you're concerned down the road when you're driving and the paint comes off due to stone chips and lack of adhesion.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
That side panel looks like little to no real prep was done and if it peeled off that bad then no adhesion promoter was used either. I’d personally pull the plug on that whole shop.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
You'd have to imagine the prep is the same for all the pieces that were worked on.

OP
PlatinumST
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #111
Thinking through it, I definitely agree with your concerns. I believe these are the last two pieces to complete. Monday was going to be reassembly day. How would you go about pulling the plug at this point? Reputationally these guys have been solid and my past experience (prior to this mishap) had been solid as well. I tested their quality on a smaller job on one of our fleet vehicles and quality was impeccable. I have a buddy who owns a car dealership who has been working with them for years and has only seen one quality issue over the years which they fixed at no cost with no questions asked. I think I'm just rambling at this point...and not sure how to proceed. My inclination is to give them the benefit of the doubt and if things go sideways to go after them at that point. Don't want to ruin a relationship if it can be helped. Thoughts?

Reactions
After all that you still won’t have the lower gearing of an ST and will likely be in the high 11’s on E50.
Im pretty damn positive the slight higher gearing will net you .1 faster on the 1/4 mile MAYBE .2 on a great day. Made a nice impact on the earlier 5 speed and somewhat on the 6 speed. 10 speed auto's? Not soo much...

Will tow nicer around the mountains, thats probably the main advantage over it.

Last edited:

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Thinking through it, I definitely agree with your concerns. I believe these are the last two pieces to complete. Monday was going to be reassembly day. How would you go about pulling the plug at this point? Reputationally these guys have been solid and my past experience (prior to this mishap) had been solid as well. I tested their quality on a smaller job on one of our fleet vehicles and quality was impeccable. I have a buddy who owns a car dealership who has been working with them for years and has only seen one quality issue over the years which they fixed at no cost with no questions asked. I think I'm just rambling at this point...and not sure how to proceed. My inclination is to give them the benefit of the doubt and if things go sideways to go after them at that point. Don't want to ruin a relationship if it can be helped. Thoughts?
Tough situation. I think if it were me, I'd talk to them to see if all the pieces might not be stripped and just start over with a different product than they have already used.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I'll throw in my two cents here. First thing, prep is the key with any paint job. You neglect proper prep and the job looks like crap.

Having said that, if you have heard positive experiences from others, give them a chance to make it right. You can always walk away before you pay them. As a business owner, I actually prefer a complaining customer versus one that just goes away. At least I have the opportunity to make it right.

OP
PlatinumST
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #115
I'll throw in my two cents here. First thing, prep is the key with any paint job. You neglect proper prep and the job looks like crap.

Having said that, if you have heard positive experiences from others, give them a chance to make it right. You can always walk away before you pay them. As a business owner, I actually prefer a complaining customer versus one that just goes away. At least I have the opportunity to make it right.
We'll see how it goes. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I'm heading out of town tomorrow and am hoping for the best when I return on Friday. Stay tuned! :D

Thank you to those who have shared their thoughts and feedback!

OP
PlatinumST
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #116
I got word today that the roof rack delete kit will be in on Friday and axles are 7 days out. They're also getting the 4 bolt rear cross member ordered in to be installed when the axles are replaced. Seeing @Cruising68's experience, there is no way I'll attempt this swap myself.

Also, does anyone know what the difference is in the rear cross member for the Interceptor vs ST/Platinum/etc?

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I got word today that the roof rack delete kit will be in on Friday and axles are 7 days out. They're also getting the 4 bolt rear cross member ordered in to be installed when the axles are replaced. Seeing @Cruising68's experience, there is no way I'll attempt this swap myself.

Also, does anyone know what the difference is in the rear cross member for the Interceptor vs ST/Platinum/etc?
You by chance have a part number for the roof rack delete?

OP
PlatinumST
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #118
You by chance have a part number for the roof rack delete?
LB5Z7850462 and LB5Z7850463

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I love my roof rack, gives me something to hold on to when I wash the roof!

Last edited: